AmericanaramA Concert 2 - Tampa, FL 6/27/13

Gaaahhh!!!  Insert emoticon of tortured smiley face ripping hair out!  I KNEW they would play Muzzle.  I just knew it.  Because they're right here in Florida, and it's my birthday, and I DIDN'T GO!  Some bullshit reason like not caring about MMJ and Dylan and I'm broke and I just went to Solid Sound.  That will teach me!

Okay, I feel better now.  Just because I've requested Muzzle of Bees at every show for the past two years doesn't mean I won't eventually get to hear it live.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob Weir only sits in on songs I sing to my daughters at bed time: Ripple, California Stars, Friend of the Devil, and Dear Prudence (w/MMJ). Next up, Forever Young w/Dylan. Not holding out hope for Twinkle Twinkle or ABC. Guess I'll have to start singing Dead Flowers at bed time, change the needle and a spoon line to cow jumping over the moon.

This doesn't show up on Wilcobase at all.  Is this a 1st?

I do believe it is an all-time first. Weir sang lead and I believe Jeff and John sang harmony. Jeff may have tried a verse, but I was too busy trying to post and being overexcited to remember the details. For a Deadhead/Wilco fanatic, it was pretty damn epic. Gotta sleep now, but if anyone has other feedback on the set list, corrections, etc., feel free to add. Peace.

I do believe it is an all-time first. Weir sang lead and I believe Jeff and John sang harmony. Jeff may have tried a verse, but I was too busy trying to post and being overexcited to remember the details. For a Deadhead/Wilco fanatic, it was pretty damn epic. Gotta sleep now, but if anyone has other feedback on the set list, corrections, etc., feel free to add. Peace.

You're correct, Jeff attempted to sing the final verse. Seemed like he fumbled the lyrics a bit, but (A) Jerry did that about a thousand times, and (B) it was just really cool to see/hear Bobby doing a Hunter/Garica tune backed by Wilco. Bobby even took a brief guitar solo. I told my wife that it's cute that Bobby grew up to be Jerry. It was also 18 years this week that I saw my final Dead show (with Dylan opening, by the way) which was my wife's first (and last) Dead show. 

Overall, I thought it was a great set. "One by One" was a great choice to open, and I agree with the poster that suggested Tweedy is opening with Woody's songs as a nod to Bob. Now let's just hope plenty of people have tape rolling the night Bob decides to join them.

I loved Bob's set as well. Most people around us either left, seemed bored, or didn't really respond until he played "Tangled Up in Blue" or "Watchtower." He had me from the start. I love the late-period Dylan sound. The song selections are strong ones from these albums. When he plays things from his classic period he still loves to rearrange them. I really enjoyed that, not for the least of reasons that it stopped a lot of people from singing along too loudly. 

Okay, so to put the set list in a nice readable format...

One by One
Hesitating Beauty
Muzzle of Bees
War on War
Sunken Treasure
IATTBYH
Art of Almost
Hummingbird
Dawned on Me
Dead Flowers (w/ Bob Weir)
Friend of the Devil (world premiere w/ Bob Weir)
Handshake Drugs
Impossible Germany

Born Alone
Walken
I Got You

Looks like I missed Born Alone in my play-by-play. Oops.

First of all, Bob Weir was great. The man can still command a stage, even with just an acoustic guitar. Very surprised by how hard he pushed himself vocally, and it was crystal clear. I was writing the set list down, but then my phone lost the signal, or I got bumped, and lost it. I am sure it will pop up in a million places, but it was something like this:

Walkin' Blues
Corrina
Me & My Uncle
Black Throated Wind
Big Bad Blues
Music Never Stopped > Standing on Shaky Ground > Music Never Stopped

My Morning Jacket came on and I was sure they were going to have Weir come out for Dear Prudence. We could hear them sound checking it at about 4:00 while waiting to get in. I thought, "Crap, that means he will be switching back and forth. Last night was with Wilco; tonight he will be with MMJ." He came out and did it, and it was nicely done for sure. The MMJ set was better than I thought it would be (I had little familiarity with their catalogue), and it amped up the crowd nicely after Weir's solo set.

Wilco came on and the sound was just not right after the sonic assault of MMJ. It wasn't loud enough, and I was right on the rail, so I expected the vocals to kind of sail over our heads, but it was a bit of a WTF moment...well, more than a moment, it did not really seem to get up to speed until Muzzle. The sound guys need to be aware, you are following a LOUD freaking band, so make sure the volume is high enough, especially opening with acoustic-based tunes.

Anyway, the sound seemed to improve in a very gradual, subtle way, and the crowd responded accordingly. The rather oddly placed War on War was the song that really got people into the show - I say oddly because, well, it's a great song, but not what I would expect would be THE song to get people really moving. After that, it just got better and better, both the sound and the energy. The Being There era arrangement of Sunken Treasure was mesmerizing, and people were really into IATTBYH, lots of singing from the crowd. Jeff even backed off the mike to get the crowd singing louder, not something you would expect in a festival setting.

The segment from Art of Almost through Dawned on Me was kind of an up and down, high energy segment, but then the show just blew right through the stratosphere when Bobby came out. I was right on the rail, and Jeff was looking in my direction when they started singing Dead Flowers, and my face must have registered a hilarious blank. I didn't recognize it at all until at least 3/4 of the way through the first verse. Meanwhile, people all around us are whooping it up and dancing and whatnot. Smiles all around, all through the song, and Weir on lead was a pleasant surprise. Then Friend of the Devil, at a really interesting pace: not quite the breakneck speed of the original, but not the plodding super slow version the Dead did in later years. You might say it was "just exactly perfect." ;)

After that, there was no way to take the show higher, right? Well, it's a festival, so warhorses like Handshake and Germany might not look exciting to you, but, as someone once said, Wilco sure knows how to put together a set list. The place was rocking big time. Both of the guitar freakouts to end those songs got big cheers. The guy I brought, who had never seen any of these artists, just turned to me and said, "Wow."

Dylan's set was great, too. I knew what to expect, vocal wise, but he broke out a surprise version of Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall which was very, uh, emphatic. He also did both Tangled Up in Blue and Simple Twist of Fate, which was quite a nice surprise. I didn't expect two tunes from Blood on the Tracks.

All in all, a very satisfying night on every level. If you're on the fence about this, don't be. Just go. And to the young couple from Michigan who my buddy and I let get on the rail in front of us for Wilco, and who said they played Jesus, etc. at their wedding: nice meeting you, and if you ever decide to be brave and get on this board, don't worry. We're a pretty friendly bunch around here...well, most of us, anyway.

Then Friend of the Devil, at a really interesting pace: not quite the breakneck speed of the original, but not the plodding super slow version the Dead did in later years. You might say it was "just exactly perfect." ;)

Sound like maybe the tempo of the Lyle Lovett version of Deadicated?  I think he just nailed that song.  

Wish Weir was playing more dates...

Me, too.  We get Ryan Bingham instead.  Maybe he'll be better than I'm expecting.  I hope that doesn't kill my chances to hear Wilco do Grateful Dead songs.

It would have been great to see Weir with Wilco.

It really was. I was expecting nothing, since he had already joined MMJ for Dear Prudence. Dead Flowers was priceless, and then Friend of the Devil...what can you say?

Dylan's set (from bobdylan.com)

I hadn't noticed he played those same two Blood on the Tracks tunes the previous night. I won't complain about that! Forgot we got Blind Willie McTell. 

Okay, so to put the set list in a nice readable format...

One by One

Hesitating Beauty

Muzzle of Bees

War on War

Sunken Treasure

IATTBYH

Art of Almost

Hummingbird

Dawned on Me

Dead Flowers (w/ Bob Weir)

Friend of the Devil (world premiere w/ Bob Weir)

Handshake Drugs

Impossible Germany

Born Alone

Walken

I Got You

Looks like I missed Born Alone in my play-by-play. Oops.

They didn't play Born Alone last night. Walken definitely followed immediately after Impossible Germany.

Damn-I wish bobby was paying more of the shows-I am guessing it was the fast version of FOTD?

There's also a little clip of FOTD there too.

They didn't play Born Alone last night. Walken definitely followed immediately after Impossible Germany.

Ha, so the person who updates Wilco's Facebook page got it wrong and I got it right? Okay, someone needs to hire me, stat. :lol