LouieB surpasses Tweedy's Gurl - for old timers only.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now with face book, we've started to confuse real names & the the ones here. well i do!. i still still love place, just dont get a chance to visit as often. its introduced me to lots of new (old) music

now with face book, we've started to confuse real names & the the ones here. well i do!.

I can't keep it all straight, either.  Gave up trying some time ago.  (I just discovered a few weeks ago which one of my FB friends is Big Perm, embarrassingly, after years of being connected there.)

I guess there are other views about the meaning - but according to the Urban Dictionary:

The standard set of albums from the 60s and 70s that every boomer likes. Boomers try to get younguns to listen to dad rock by loading up "best albums ever" lists with them. Dad rockers have no desire to listen to recent music and are stuck in the past.
Beatles, Byrds, Beach Boys, Dylan, Rolling Stones, Who, Zep, etc

I guess there are other views about the meaning - but according to the Urban Dictionary:

If that is the definition I would say most folks here are pretty hung up on that stuff, even the younger people.  Big Star is the biggest dad rock group that ever existed and people can't get over them. (Along with Beatles, Dylan,  the Kinks and Beach Boys....go figure.)

See my "dad rock" comments in this thread above.  If sludgy sound, unfocused lyrics, and non-structured melody  are considered non-dad rock, I would say Wilco is doing a pretty good job much of the time staying in that school,  I really don't know what people want out of Wilco anymore.  If there were ever a non-dad rock album it was Wilco The Album and most people hate that.  Meanwhile SBS is sort of dad rock and it is unfairly ripped.  Most of TWL is a combination of the two. 

Just a few years ago, power post punk pop was the hip music and now new soul is pretty hip.  Both of those kind of music are pretty dad rock oriented. 

LouieB

I guess people are referring to age of the band members when they call them by those terms. I don't see how they fit the other criteria all that much.

I was a bit off - apparently, dad rock, and dad rocker mean two different things:

Not to be confused with "Dad Rock," dad rockers are middle aged boomers from the suburbs, between ages 40 and 60. Their oatmeal rock is inspired by famous bands of the 60's and 70's, such as The Grateful Dead, Tom Petty, Frank Zappa and Willie Nelson. Their band-image is influenced by live performances of Sting and/or U2. Most members are balding if not completely bald and begin sweating upon reaching the stage. This creates "dad rock forehead syndrome", which is unappetizing. They have a lot of money to spend on Harley Davidson motorcycles and top-of-the line musical equipment, but neither have musical nor Hell's Angel's backgrounds.

Their wives are their only true fans. You can identify a dad rock ensemble by the drunk wives dancing and clapping loudly while their husbands dedicate power love ballads to them in hopes of reigniting flames long since extinguished. This often works because the drunker the wives get, the more they are capable of pretending the dad rockers are in actuality some semi-well-known band from their youth. After the show is done, you can find these couples making out and smoking cigarrettes in the parking lot. This typically creates a buzz-kill for the other patrons of the establishment.

Dude, stay away from Lucky's tonight, that place is really going downhill. Those dad rockers, The 13th Street Bad Boys, somehow made it back on the ticket again. Remember last time when their wives all got up on stage and started dancing around on stage during that Rolling Stones cover?

I guess people are referring to age of the band members when they call them by those terms. I don't see how they fit the other criteria all that much.

I was a bit off - apparently, dad rock, and dad rocker mean two different things:

That is hilarious!! (The definition inside the quote, which apparently I don't know how to quote properly)!

Ditto for me. Although I have to say, I haven't listened to Sharkey's Day - or any Laurie Anderson, for that matter - in a long, long time.

Now see, after all this time I was convinced your name was a reference to Bald Headed John - John's got a sausage that'll make you fart, John's got a sausage that'll BREAK YOUR HEART. 

You learn something every day!

Actually it is kind of cruel, which satire often is.  I know some females who are in "mom rock" groups too.  I know a few "dad jazz" bands too. 

Everyone is going to get old and everyone is going to want to re-live some of that glory.  And strangely young people like appearing bald so go figure.

I once saw a band in Marquette Michigan that play together once every year or so. They banged out some Doors and such and had a great time.  On one level it is kind of sad, on another, it was just fine.  Were they old?  Yup, old as the hills,  Was the repertoire old?  Naturally.  But ultimately everyone got drunk and had a fine old time and these guys got to relive a bit of glory.

This is just all part of the natural order of things:

" Practically, the old have no very important advice to give the young, their own experience has been so partial, and their lives have been such miserable failures, for private reasons, as they must believe; and it may be that they have some faith left which belies that experience, and they are only less young than they were."

Henry David Thoreau

LouieB

Now see, after all this time I was convinced your name was a reference to Bald Headed John - John's got a sausage that'll make you fart, John's got a sausage that'll BREAK YOUR HEART. 

:lol

Actually, it's because I am such a heartbreaker. Nah, it's a reference to my bald spot: "Sun's coming up...like a big bald head!"

I can't keep it all straight, either.  Gave up trying some time ago.  (I just discovered a few weeks ago which one of my FB friends is Big Perm, embarrassingly, after years of being connected there.)

This is one of my favorite things ever posted on VC. 

I think the decreased need for hard-copy trading contributed to the slow-down around here, too.  I had so many good interactions with people through B&Ps and vines.  Once it because so easy to either BT or download on-demand, those relationships just weren't being formed anymore.

...is there a Facebook group?

I don't quite get how people say facebook and twitter replace forums like this.  Seems like all the stuff there is typical stuff by fans directed at the band ("come to XYZ!") and not a discussion among fans about the band.