How do you respectable folk feel about 2013 so far, music-wise? Wanted: Preliminary top 10's. Reward: a validation of your opinion (perhaps). Possible risk: a classic ViaChicago burn about your guilty pleasure. Daredevils, go ahead.

The only album I'm going to nominate myself so far (even though I have a top 25 all made up which I won't reveal out of fear of coming across as the motivation for launching this thread out of narcissism) is Dawes' Stories Don't End, as the 'best album to listen to when you're drunk alone", as a step down from 2011's release yet still miles above most in the genre. Especially the title track is melancholy by way of piano goodness. N.B. I discovered them through this site, so thanks for all the drunken blues everyone.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far it's been a pretty good year.

• Shugo Tokumaru - In Focus?

• Foxygen - We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace& Love

• Tom Zé - Tropicalia Lixo Logico

• Bombino - Nomad

• My Bloody Valentine - MBV

• Wire - Change Becomes Us

• Cleaners From Venus - The Late District

• Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

etc.

good year.

Joseph Arthur's Ballad of Boogie Christ already is and surely will be one of my all-time favorites. The album starts off great, and each time I think "that's gotta be the best song on the record," the next one is even better.

Picked up the Lucius EP and am looking forward to their album in October. Also looking forward to, in late 2013: Neko Case, and Pearl Jam

Still don't have the new Richard Thompson album, I missed out on his spring tour dates.

I don't know that I've bought any other albums released this year yet, but I have in 2013 acquired albums/EPs, released in the past year or two, by the Spring Standards, Trapper Schoepp and the Shades, and AA Bondy which are brand new bands to me.

And it looks like Luke Haines has a new one, too.

Very excited to hear it!

Right now, there is a clear winner for me as best record of 2013:

41a61HywNPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Haunting, soulful, minimalist, passionate, ... I cannot get enough of this one. The odd tunings, the drones, the repeated musical figures throughout. It is an experience, not just a collection of songs. 

I do have high hope for Neko (I have not listened to the stream, yet) so you never know. But it seems this one will be hard to beat for me.

Records I keep going back to this year, not ready to rank yet:

Jason Isbell - Southeastern

Queens of the stone age - Like Clockwork

Parquet courts - light up gold - This one may have been late 2012 officially.

The national - Trouble will find me

Deerhunter - Monomania

Savages - Silence yourself

I won't lie, I was pretty disappointed with the new Dawes and Son Volt. 

Been listening to more old stuff this year than usual for some reason although there is plenty of good new stuff.

Mark Kozelek and Jimmy LaValle - Perils from the Sea

Mark Kozelek and Desertshore - S/T

Heirlooms of August - Down at the Five-Star

Daniel Romano - Come Cry With Me

Son Volt - Honky Tonk

Pure Bathing Culture -  Moon Tides

Hadn't heard Heirlooms or PBC.  Good stuff, thanks!

thanks. i edited my comment.  i'm dense this morning :)

still looking forward to a few other things: Danny Brown, M.I.A., Bill Callahan...

20.  Volcano Choir - Repave

19.  Califone - Stitches

18.  Earl Sweatshirt - Doris

17.  Foxygen - We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic

16.  A$AP Rocky - LONG.LIVE.A$AP

15.  Atoms For Peace – AMOK

14. Boards Of Canada – Tomorrow’s Harvest

13.  Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Push The Sky Away

12.  Phosphorescent – Muchacho

11.  Jim James – Regions Of Light And Sound Of God

10. Kanye West - Yeezus

9. Phoenix – Bankrupt!

8.  Iron & Wine – Ghost On Ghost

7.  The Flaming Lips – The Terror

6.  Hiss Golden Messenger - Haw

5. Jason Isbell - Southeastern

4.  Daft Punk – Random Access Memories

3.  The National – Trouble Will Find Me

2.  Vampire Weekend – Modern Vampires Of The City

1.  Kurt Vile – Wakin On A Pretty Daze

-justin

I do have high hope for Neko (I have not listened to the stream, yet) so you never know. But it seems this one will be hard to beat for me.

Never been able to get into Neko Case at all, but I see where she covered a Nico track on her new one. That may be incentive enough right there for me to check her out again.

I'm surprised the Christopher Owens solo album came and went so quickly.

His band, Girls, seem to be well loved by critics. This album didn't seem so different to go from critic adulation to disappearing almost immediately.

Ones I have that haven't been mentioned. Not saying they are the best, but not talked about too much:

Starflyer 59 - IAMACEO

Eisley - Currents

Christopher Owens - Lysandre

Ducktails - The Flower Lane

Eels - Wonderful, Glorious

I guess Mark Oliver Everett has lost favor--that new Eels record is criminally overlooked this year.  I think it ranks among his better albums, and is definitely one of my top ten of the year.

I'm surprised the Christopher Owens solo album came and went so quickly.

His band, Girls, seem to be well loved by critics. This album didn't seem so different to go from critic adulation to disappearing almost immediately.

Ones I have that haven't been mentioned. Not saying they are the best, but not talked about too much:

Starflyer 59 - IAMACEO

Eisley - Currents

Christopher Owens - Lysandre

Ducktails - The Flower Lane

A tentative Girls' fan, I've found not a single song enjoyable on the Owens' solo record, I have to say. Girts always outbalanced near-breakdown emotion with lots and lots of rich (sometimes fun/retro) instrumentation or screeching guitars, the stripped back sound leaves only the pitiful bones. I was also quite disappointed with Kurt Vile's and The National's release. 

The Ducktails albums however charmed me significantly. I'd also like to reiterate the love shown for Laura Marling (my no.1), Vampire Weekend, Foxygen, Jim James, Phosphorescent, Pure Bathing Culture, Savages and My Bloody Valentine.

Just as I'd hoped, few of the albums on my list were mentioned, lots of meat to pick of the bones of this thread. Vice versa, none of these albums of my top ten received a shout...

The Knife - Shaking the Habitual

Yo La Tengo - Fade

Grouper - The Man Who Died in His Boat

Tunng - Turbines

Villagers - Awayland

Torres - Torres

The Men - New Moon

Mikal Cronin - MK ii