excellent, great to hear. 

if Glenn comes to play near your town, definitely go see him. he's a got a very natural way of telling stories about the songs he's written, and the playing is superb. 

I've heard he's very good.

BTW, Tinnitus Photography just popped up on my FB page as a suggested page.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard he's very good.

BTW, Tinnitus Photography just popped up on my FB page as a suggested page.

:banana

Is this what you're referring to, the Radiolab tour coming to Boston?  I didn't see On Fillmore at SS, don't know much about this, but Glenn being my favorite drummer I'll show up.

http://www.radiolab.org/live/

Our new live tour is coming to a city near you this fall!

Cataclysmic destruction. Surprising survival. In this new live stage performance, Radiolab turns its gaze to the topic of endings, both blazingly fast and agonizingly slow. With their signature blend of storytelling, science, and music, hosts Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich romp through hundreds of millions of years of history to arrive at the end, again and again. We've got a raucous bunch of comedians joining the party, with a different one for each show, including: Reggie Watts, Patton Oswalt, Simon Amstell, Ophira Eisenberg and Kurt Braunohler. With a cinematic live score created before your eyes by On Fillmore and Noveller, the evening will be a thought- provoking and laughter-inducing dance on the grave of our inevitable demise.

actually i was referring to Glenn Jones, who lives here!

but Kotche is always entertaining as well, and i do believe that Radiolab has a local date.

The Loft was a really cool exhibit. I'm glad that they did it.

Solid Sound is a magical place. I encourage every Wilco fan to get there at least once. I'm lucky enough to be a 2.5 hr drive away from it.

I was born in Beverly, but ever since my grandparents died I haven't had any real ties to MA (or free places to stay...not that I would stay in Beverly for a show at MassMoca).  Otherwise, I would have been there probably every year.

The Loft was a really cool exhibit. I'm glad that they did it.

Solid Sound is a magical place. I encourage every Wilco fan to get there at least once. I'm lucky enough to be a 2.5 hr drive away from it.

Ditto to all that.  I've never made it to Chicago for a Wilco show or one of the Tweedy solo benefit shows, which I very much want to do, but being in MA and able to easily drive to all three SS's has not been a bad tradeoff. 

fans of Fahey-style picking and open-tuned guitars would do well to check out Glenn Jones' latest, My Garden State

here's a song from it:

https://soundcloud.com/thrilljockey/glenn-jones-bergen-county-farewell

Very nice.  I'll check that out.  It reminds me of some of the stuff on William Tyler's Impossible Truth (which came out this year).

51lgXUyziFL._SY300__PJautoripBadge,Botto

I'm surprised the Christopher Owens solo album came and went so quickly.

His band, Girls, seem to be well loved by critics. This album didn't seem so different to go from critic adulation to disappearing almost immediately.

Ones I have that haven't been mentioned. Not saying they are the best, but not talked about too much:

Starflyer 59 - IAMACEO

Eisley - Currents

Christopher Owens - Lysandre

Ducktails - The Flower Lane

Eels - Wonderful, Glorious

I gotta say, I like Girls (and also the band Girls) but Owens' debut never warmed to me. Smith Westerns' 2013 album did remind me a bit of the retro '70s glam of Girls 2011 effort, especially a track called Foolproof.

I like the new Neko. Not so much the new Jason Isbell. IB is a good songwriter, but not terribly exciting.

Wow, you are the first person I have heard say that about the Isbell album. 

Might take another couple of listens. Like I said, he is a damn good songwriter. But, I guess, sonically, he just isn't twerking my striped pants these days.

But I've only given it a single listen so far. So more are definitely required.

I can't seem to stop listening to the following offerings by The Shouting Matches:

51qIf9lDCfL._SY300_.jpg

51R9AV5Mj4L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I picked these up shortly after you made this post. I've enjoyed very much. Thanks for the recommendation.

Also picked up Volcano Choir, another Justin Vernon project. Very good too. 

• 2 weeks later...

I listened to the Lucius album earlier this week and was blown away. NPR has been so good at exposing me to new music. Also HIGHLY recommended (and learned about from that series) is Typhoon's "White Lighter". It's making a strong case to be my personal album of the year.

I can add Paul McCartney's "New" to the top shelf of this year's faves (got a Deluxe edition on Friday from a cool little independent store that got it in early & was, well, cool about the matter- had the files from fellow fiends a day or two before that even- so I've played it a bunch- GREAT album!!)...Macca sits alongside "Fade" by Yo La Tengo & "Electric" by Richard Thompson as part of a trio of absolute faves from 2013 so far...then it'd be- "Today, Tomorrow & Yesterday" by Donna The Buffalo, "The Next Day" by David Bowie & "The Terror" by The Flaming Lips are all just a notch below that top three, as the next three ;) ...