Ya...the Greatest Story is probably among the finest (better than 9.28.1972?), as is the China Cat Rider (especially the transition from China into Rider (is there a better transition?))...the PITB is probably the best summer 1972 psychedelic sprinting version...

...and at the end of Dark Star you can hear jerry really wanted to enter mourning dew...but weir pressed for el paso....hmmm.....

No offense, as it is a really nice China->Rider, but I'm a nut for the "Feeling Groovy Jam" that they they started doing between the two songs in '73 and lasted about a year. Those are my favorite China/Rider transitions, by far.

I caught that with the Dew tease, too.....and then...well, *splat* into El Paso. Rough.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense, as it is a really nice China->Rider, but I'm a nut for the "Feeling Groovy Jam" that they they started doing between the two songs in '73 and lasted about a year. Those are my favorite China/Rider transitions, by far.

I caught that with the Dew tease, too.....and then...well, *splat* into El Paso. Rough.

I am offended, sir.

listening to the 10.15.1977 new audience right now...what an amazing and extremely underrated show...the St. Stephen may be the best from 76 or 77...and transition from NFA into Stella rivals 6.18.1974...

http://archive.org/details/gd1977-10-15.aud.ordon.sorochty.125642.flac16

just changed to this  show (downloaded from bt-eeree)

so far so good ---- 1st set.

I  am still always  amazed at a new tape in circulation ---77....

mountain bed, in the recently closed thread you said that the 2/13/70 Dark Star was not your favorite.  Do you have a favorite?

I don't know if I could pin it down to one!  

I REALLY like 9/19/70 for that year, it's amazing. Others off the top of my head would include 4/22/69, 11/2/69, 11/7/71, 8/24/72, 11/19/72, 6/10/73, 9/11/74, and damn near any version from Fall '73.

Ya...the Greatest Story is probably among the finest (better than 9.28.1972?), as is the China Cat Rider (especially the transition from China into Rider (is there a better transition?))...the PITB is probably the best summer 1972 psychedelic sprinting version...

...and at the end of Dark Star you can hear jerry really wanted to enter mourning dew...but weir pressed for el paso....hmmm.....

Yeah. Fucking Bobby.  :lol  Can you imagine how epic it would have been to get that Dew? But...if you want to hear an outstanding Dark Star > Dew from that period check out the Berkeley from 8/24 that I just mentioned above. It's incredible.

Oh yeah. China > Rider from Fall '73 - Fall '74. Fucking AWESOME stuff. The 5/19/74 and Providence '74 are among my faves.

"...and at the end of Dark Star you can hear jerry really wanted to enter mourning dew...but weir pressed for el paso....hmmm....."

I didn't hear that Dew tease, will have to relisten.  But, DS>El Paso is pretty crazy.  My favorite part of the movie is in the middle of Dark Star you see Bob kind of lean on his amp and say 'whew!' while rubbing his brow and looking at Garcia.  It seems like he's thinking, 'come on Jer, let's move on'.  It was a shocker to see this as I'd never ever seen or heard any tiredness in any band member during a long tune.  Ever!  I never thought about it.  There stamina is/was incredible.

I was looking for my Grateful Dead Family Album book a little while ago and discovered it seems to have disappeared. Pretty weird.

i got mine sitting right here.  many books have come and gone, but i'll never get rid of that one.  i remember in the early 90s there were lots of those picture books.  Playin' in the Band was another a friend had.  We'd borrow each other's books.  Of course, he was cooler as he had Deadbase.  I remember spending hours at a time looking at that.  I still could.  Was listening to Nightfall of Diamonds and was wondering about the first set. 

@Lammy,

i didn't know Stu was in DSO.  interesting.  Eagan, who plays bobby, has an interesting history.  I guess he had all these rare tapes at one point.  he also was  a sound engineer for pat metheny for many years.  after that, DSO must be a labor of love.  can't pay that much.

I REALLY like 9/19/70 for that year, it's amazing. Others off the top of my head would include 4/22/69, 11/2/69, 11/7/71, 8/24/72, 11/19/72, 6/10/73, 9/11/74, and damn near any version from Fall '73.

Great listing off the top of your head!  I've got some listening to do.

i got mine sitting right here.  many books have come and gone, but i'll never get rid of that one.  i remember in the early 90s there were lots of those picture books.  Playin' in the Band was another a friend had.  We'd borrow each other's books.  Of course, he was cooler as he had Deadbase.  I remember spending hours at a time looking at that.  I still could.  Was listening to Nightfall of Diamonds and was wondering about the first set. 

@Lammy,

i didn't know Stu was in DSO.  interesting.  Eagan, who plays bobby, has an interesting history.  I guess he had all these rare tapes at one point.  he also was  a sound engineer for pat metheny for many years.  after that, DSO must be a labor of love.  can't pay that much.

I know I bought it last year - as it was re-printed. I recall having a hard time reading the text, as it was reprinted smaller that the original.

Thanks for those recommendations.  I've heard some - but not all - of those. 

@Lammy,

He wasn't in DSO for long, maybe even just filling in for a spell. Think it was 2010 or '11. Eaton also did a good amount of taping of GD shows, too, with some nice results that can be found on archives.

Was it a new essay by Dwork or was it the same one in his Taper's book. The one in the Taper's book is pretty good and rather extensive.

Got my box today, the Dwork piece is a short 2 page essay, haven't read it but it appears to be something new from his lengthy essay in the Taper's Compendium and Duprees.  Can't wait to get these discs spinning.

Got my box today, the Dwork piece is a short 2 page essay, haven't read it but it appears to be something new from his lengthy essay in the Taper's Compendium and Duprees.  Can't wait to get these discs spinning.

Thanks - I still need to get around to get the set.

Kinda wish that there was a CD only release, but it will be good to see the movie again, I guess.

The picture looks great, and the sound mix is great.

The sound mix is fantastic. My wife is out of town, so I occupied myself tonight by watching the entire movie and the bonus piece, all at concert level volume. I've had bootleg copies of SSDD for years, VHS, DVD, but this is masterful. What a great night.

Some nice, well deserved news - from http://www.dead.net/features/americana-music-association/robert-hunter-honored-lifetime-achievement-award

Read that he performed Ripple, solo, at the ceremony, too.

Congratulations to the esteemed Robert Hunter on his Lifetime Achievement Award for Songwriting at last night's Americana Music Association awards ceremony.

I have to say re: the Veneto show that Bobby's playing is sublime.

Agreed.  His filigree part in the opening of China Cat is really articulate and his rhythm work throughout is excellent and strong.

Jerry is absolutely inspired in his playing on this show, though.  Playing In The Band is near-perfect (once I overlook Donna's wails).  Its perfectly balanced between free form spaciness and purposeful driving structure.  Jerry kept coming up with new themes and the whole band was right there with him, keeping the song driving, never faltering.  '72 was the peak for this song, IMO.  '73 and '74 ones could get a little too free form for my tastes.  And I love how they really took their time easing their way back into the reprise.