• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob Eaton on Dark Star Orchestra

"I think we’ve got it now to the point that these young kids that are coming and we are seeing an increasing amount now that Furthur is off the road, we’re seeing a lot more younger kids and they’re really getting it. They’re getting a taste of that late 60s, early 70s, mid 70s thing, or even the 80s thing. These were kids that were born in the 90s, they were in diapers when Jerry passed away or they weren’t even born yet. And there’s also a lot of Heads that only saw the very tail end of the Dead, like the early 90s until Jerry died, and they never had a chance to witness that real primal LSD jam thing and they’re finally getting a chance to do that. I get more and more of those kind of people coming up to me and going “Wow, all I’m used to is seeing the Dead in the 90s and this is the real shit right here.” I’m proud of that. I know we have our detractors that say we’re living off this legacy, but we don’t look at it that way. We truly love to play. The songs themselves are sacred to me. The lyrics and the melodies are timeless and need be played no matter what and you would never fault a symphony orchestra for playing Bach and Beethoven, nor would you fault a jazz player for playing standards, so I don’t understand why people can tear on us for playing the most amazing music written in the 20th century."

http://www.jambands.com/features/2014/05/19/dark-star-orchestra-hits-their-mark

I agree with the above, not sure why people have to give them grief --- if you don't like it or care for them, just don't go to the shows (like I don't).

I think those words should be attributed to Rob Barraco --- I don't think Eaton was part of the interview - though in typical Jamband writing style, it's hard to figure out  -- but Rob talks about playing with Phil.

Must be a bit tough to have three dudes in one band name Rob.....

Rob Eaton on Dark Star Orchestra

"We truly love to play. The songs themselves are sacred to me. The lyrics and the melodies are timeless and need be played no matter what and you would never fault a symphony orchestra for playing Bach and Beethoven, nor would you fault a jazz player for playing standards, so I don’t understand why people can tear on us for playing the most amazing music written in the 20th century."

http://www.jambands.com/features/2014/05/19/dark-star-orchestra-hits-their-mark

Love this quote by Eaton. I feel similar to the stuff that DSO/Furthur/P&Fs/etc. do. Eaton, for one, did a good deal of taping at GD shows and has/had been on the "scene" since the late 70s....

I saw DSO last year on my birthday.  I knew they weren't the Dead, nor did I expect them to be.  In fact, I didn't have any expectations at all.  I came away from the evening having done a little dancing and had a great time.  I know it's hard to judge a band from audience recordings or fan made videos on youtube, but I was not intrigued enough to see Furthur.  I don't know, it seemed like they are missing something that I can't quite put my finger on.  

I don't think one needs to compare any of the above-mentioned bands to the Grateful Dead. That's ridiculous. Of COURSE nothing compares. It's not a contest or a race to a finish line that has ended. I've never once thought that any Weir/Lesh/Hart/Kreutzman-configured band was trying to capture the essence of the GD, but rather keep good tunes alive. Nothing wrong with that, in my book. If some folks can't stomach any of the offshoots, that's cool. But really, they (the offshoots)needn't be taken too seriously, anyway. Besides, I'd rather have the remaining members still playing live tunes than being in retirement just because Garcia kicked.

i see where everyone is coming from.  i have a hard time not taking it seriously, which makes it an emotional roller coaster at times.  i've tried to get into the offshoots, but nothing's really nailed it for me.  98 other ones were probably the best.  i don't think warren ever fit with anything and herring just noodles.  the boys haven't been able to find a guitarist who could play in garcia's spot.  not be garcia, but play ripping solos and keep the energy up.  if they could've found that and kept bruce then we'd have seen the dead actually continue evolving rather than these constant reiterations.  i get where phil is coming from, but when you've got this constant rotation of players everything is under-rehearsed.  rat dog is just a mess.  furthur is fun.  it's nice to hear the pristine arrangements, but they play stuff so slow.  

the best thing i've heard was that weir here with phil last year.  just phil, bob, jason crosby on keys and the drummer.  no need for a jerry spot.

I'll be surprised if this does not get taken down at some point:

The owners to the rights of the Bill Graham Archives have organized nearly three dozen shows worth of high quality Grateful Dead video into playlists on this YouTube channel entitled Music Vault.

The earliest show in the vault is the 6/18/76 show from the Capitol Theatre and spans all the way through the band’s Halloween show at Radio City Music Hall in 1980 and others, with the latest show coming in the form of the 11/3/91 show at the Golden Gate Park, played just ten days after the death of Bill Graham.

Most of the shows occur at Graham’s Winterland Arena, a proving ground for the band (as well as Jefferson Airplane and others). Graham and the Grateful Dead worked closely together for the majority of the famed promoter’s life before his untimely death in 1991.

Ha! - I came here to post the above (crap - damn page break) ---- If Graham Archive's put it out - why would it be taken down? I would think they own the rights, so they can do what they want.

Well - you know in the early days of The Vault there were Led Zeppelin shows on there and they disappeared.

I could be wrong. Don't you have to pay to listen/watch anything there now? I am guessing that YT channel is there to get folks interested in the site or are they truly letting something out there for free?

I haven't been to the site in ages, but I believe it is a paid site now  ---- It was nice when it was free --- they definitely have some good stuff. Lot's of ABB.

I see there are other bands on the channel. I suppose I am surprised the GD organization would sign off on all those videos being out there. Of course, most of that stuff is probably already out there. They just have the means to get it out in better quality.

From the just the little bit of some the new video's that I watched here at work -- they do look and sound great.

I assumed the Dead signed off when they signed the contract for Bill Graham concerts they played  --- that Graham owns the rights of the video ---- but I could be wrong.

Here is where I am starting if I like it enough I will dive deeper:

Egypt

Europe 72 vol I & II

Normal IL 1978 - a few month before I started school there

And

Sunshine daydream 1972

It's all 70's so if it works ill branch out

Except for the Egypt part, I'm sort of following the same path now.

Started with Europe 72 vol 1, then Live Dead, then just recently SSDD and picked up Europe 72 vol 2 just yesterday.

I've gotten a couple more I subscribed to Dave Picks and picked up the acoustic set from earlier this year or Kate last year. I like some and dislike some. Still trying to make up my mind. Not sure if I understand others obsessions yet.

I finally got my copy of SSDD, and have been listening to it while driving to and from work.

Pretty happy with the sound, and it's a really good show, but: is anyone else annoyed at all by how much of the banter/announcements they left in? Damn, the first track is an entire four minutes of that crap. Of course, I could live with that - easy to skip and won't bother uploading it onto iTunes - but there's more! That Playing In The Band which is listed as [19:57] isn't even that long because at the end of it, we get to listen to this schmo talking some more. 

I just want to hear the music. I mean, Bobby's comments about stuff are pretty funny, but the stage announcer talking about water? Come on, guys...Did they think people would miss the banter if they edited it out? Really? One guy on Dead.net was bummed that they edited out a barking dog from Dark Star, so who knows?  :lol

I'm loving all of the announcement stuff. Definitely adds a stamp to the time capsule.

I'm loving all of the announcement stuff. Definitely adds a stamp to the time capsule.

I would not have minded it if they broke them out as separate tracks. That way I could hear them once, and never again. I already had a tape of this show, so I have heard it more than once. Some horrible parenting going on there ("Your kid is at the tent, in case you're wondering..." lol).

I don't know if anyone has listed the YouTube channel called Music Vault already in this thread, but there sure are some mighty fine Dead performances on there. Shocked to see Bobby with a beard in '77! WTF?

http://www.jambands.com/news/2014/05/30/watch-nearly-three-dozen-grateful-dead-shows-on-youtube

Listening to 6/4/78  ---- I am assuming it's Mickey on the motorcycle going into NFA --- typically Donna doesn't bother me, but she is a bit much during the NFA, even for me --- though the "all over the place levels" on the source doesn't help, though I guess it's hard to temper a women wailing into a microphone.  Great, energetic show.

https://archive.org/details/gd1978-06-04.sbd.cantor.miller.94407.sbeok.flac16