Today being the 19 yr anniversary of their last show, my brother sent me a text this morning of a little trivia: Who was the last band/artist to use the GD's final stage equipment?

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today being the 19 yr anniversary of their last show, my brother sent me a text this morning of a little trivia: Who was the last band/artist to use the GD's final stage equipment?

Pearl Jam, Soldier Field 7/11, Eddie even talks about finding joints on the stage.  I consider this how the Dead passed the torch to Pearl Jam.

I cheated and looked it up --- it did trip my memory once I read it. 

Was at the last one - didn't really enjoy it, much.

Anybody ever seen Terrapin Flyer -- Chicago band, who plays around the country a bit. They are are playing the Abbey tonight - thinking of going. I guess Melvin Seals and Mark Karen have been playing  with them a bit, but I don't think they will be there tonight. I heard some of there stuff on Archive - it's sounds okay.

Pearl Jam, Soldier Field 7/11, Eddie even talks about finding joints on the stage.  I consider this how the Dead passed the torch to Pearl Jam.

Yeah, they left the stage set-up so PJ could use it a few days later....

I cheated and looked it up --- it did trip my memory once I read it. 

Was at the last one - didn't really enjoy it, much.

Anybody ever seen Terrapin Flyer -- Chicago band, who plays around the country a bit. They are are playing the Abbey tonight - thinking of going. I guess Melvin Seals and Mark Karen have been playing  with them a bit, but I don't think they will be there tonight. I heard some of there stuff on Archive - it's sounds okay.

I've seen them several times. They're Chicago-based and generally have guest musicians joining them. Karan might be with them tonight as he's currently out of Ratdog line up. They are worth the $15-20, for sure.

Fantastic!

Only saw 3 shows that year.....The World, oy. Shoulda went on Europe tour, heard great stories.

Those World shows.... The July 22 show, Brent's second to last show, has Brent singing in the final verse of "Far From Me": "...this song's my last fucking song for you, bitch!"

Those World shows.... The July 22 show, Brent's second to last show, has Brent singing in the final verse of "Far From Me": "...this song's my last fucking song for you, bitch!"

Yep, I was about 20th row center and totally remember seeing Brent say that.

Europe '90 was a blast!

My buddy did that tour and ended up stranded in Amsterdam for a few months. He survived by busking on the streets.

1968-11-01 - Chico

https://archive.org/details/gd1968-11-01.sbd.kaplan.20008.sbeok.shnf

Dark Star and TIFTOO and ending jam of Caution really impressive...quality becomes wretched during New Potato / Alligator

1968-11-06 - studio sessions...

https://archive.org/details/gd1968-11-06.StudioRehearsals.GEMS.82393.flac16

blah - ok but nothing remarkable...lots of st. stephen starts / eleven starts...

My buddy did that tour and ended up stranded in Amsterdam for a few months. He survived by busking on the streets.

My friend got kicked off the train in Brussles (whenever I hear Masterpiece now the line is "booted in Brussles") I gave him my sleeping bag and he used it for shelter for a while, now that I think of it I don't think I ever got that sleeping bag back, it took him a few weeks to get back to the States.  Most of my stuff was stolen in Amsterdam, all my taping equipment, tapes of the shows, tickets for the rest of the shows, only things I had left were my clothes, passport, wallet and a bag of weed for Jerry, had to get a new plane ticket and Ferry ticket across to England, which they almost didn't let me into because I had no money or a place to stay!

Oh, those were the days!

Thus completing all of Spring '90 as official releases:

http://www.dead.net/store/1990s/spring-1990-other-one-box?eml=dead/071014/banner1

Ordered! I KNEW I was holding on to my Xmas present money for a reason. 

Yeah - I will be ordering it, too. That 1st Spring 90 set has grown on me over the past year or so. It should sound better than the first set - too - they will be using the 24 track mix for this set, which good.

It is fuckin pricey, though - but what isn't these days.

Being on the Europe 90 tour would have been something -- great story Bosco.

Couple of things...

Why is Karan not in Ratdog anymore?

Incidentally, I guess Ratdog played a show without Bobby the other night.  He was sick.  Drummer sang everything.

Also, with the rest of Spring 90, they are releasing that single show with Branford from Nassau.  I might pick that up.

Not sure why Karan isn't in Ratdog - but Kimock has fitted in nicely.

Weir was back the next night --- everyone who wanted refunds for the Weir no-show show got their money back, too - which is good. I don't think I could have taken a whole night of Lane singing.

I am guessing they will be releasing all the Spring 90 shows individually - like they did with the Europe 72 shows.

Not sure why Karan isn't in Ratdog - but Kimock has fitted in nicely.

Weir was back the next night --- everyone who wanted refunds for the Weir no-show show got their money back, too - which is good. I don't think I could have taken a whole night of Lane singing.

I am guessing they will be releasing all the Spring 90 shows individually - like they did with the Europe 72 shows.

i'd love it if they just started releasing shows individually.  i'd also love to see some them pull together some comps with nuggets.  especially from the last few years.  there's some good stuff in there.

Regarding stellar material of the final years: I've heard both Bob and Phil have been adamant about not releasing 7/9/95 (even if it does hold historical significance) for the lack of consistently good performances (one came reasonably assume we're talking about Garcia here). I honestly think from what I've heard from '95 (about half) there isn't a single shows I'd consider worthy of official release. Deer Creek riot show is passable, and I wouldn't mind seeing it come out, I guess, if only because I was there.

I think about the last show that sort of grabbed me was 10/5/94 Philly. And it wasn't the sort of 'OMG' type of thing - decent setlist, Jerry stays out with Drums, etc. There's a bit of Fall '94 that seems to be a bit of an upbeat vibe, in marked contrast to the Summer Tour which pretty much sucks. '93 up through the Fall Tour can be pretty good.

There could be a "best of" compilation from the last 20 months or so that would validate the thing, but God knows someone would have to know where to dig!

They did use the song So Many Roads from that show on the So Many Roads boxset. I don't really know much about later day GD songs or shows - but I always thought that was sort of tacky.

Regarding stellar material of the final years: I've heard both Bob and Phil have been adamant about not releasing 7/9/95 (even if it does hold historical significance) for the lack of consistently good performances (one came reasonably assume we're talking about Garcia here). I honestly think from what I've heard from '95 (about half) there isn't a single shows I'd consider worthy of official release. Deer Creek riot show is passable, and I wouldn't mind seeing it come out, I guess, if only because I was there.

I think about the last show that sort of grabbed me was 10/5/94 Philly. And it wasn't the sort of 'OMG' type of thing - decent setlist, Jerry stays out with Drums, etc. There's a bit of Fall '94 that seems to be a bit of an upbeat vibe, in marked contrast to the Summer Tour which pretty much sucks. '93 up through the Fall Tour can be pretty good.

There could be a "best of" compilation from the last 20 months or so that would validate the thing, but God knows someone would have to know where to dig!

Last shows I saw were the Albany run in spring '95. There may have been some "moments" in each of those shows, but no show was worthy or a releas. I do remember a Days Between that was striking, but I would have to check the set lists to be sure. The other clear memory I have is during Black Peter when Jerry sang the line about laying in his bed dying, my friend and I turned to each other and each gave a knowing look. That's how pathetic Jerry looked and sounded.

The fall'94 run in Boston also had some moments, but not enough for a complete release. The last great run of shows I saw was Boston Garden '91. Consistently great shows. My experiences were Very spotty after that.