I thought I heard that was edited out a bit more than the widely circulated bootleg -- though he is still in there quite a bit.

I can live without seeing much of him. :lol

Boy, this audio reminds you of what terrible parents some of these hippies were. "There's a bunch of kids in the Kiddie Tent crying for their parents" or whatever. Jesus.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throughout my life I have avoided the Dead because I heard them as a kid and they bored me. I'm 53 now and have recently decided to give them a shot. Heard the pyramids set and was pleasantly surprised. Next up is the Europe 72 set and if I like that I will try another. I'll be taking my time though , no need to rush these things.

The great thing (imo) is there's something for everybody. Name your musical likes (or dislikes) and we'll be glad to steer ya in the right direction.  :thumbup

The great thing (imo) is there's something for everybody. Name your musical likes (or dislikes) and we'll be glad to steer ya in the right direction.  :thumbup

I've always liked 35 year old rockers who wear pastel colored polo shirts and too-short cut off shorts...which era would cater to that?

Here is where I am starting if I like it enough I will dive deeper:

Egypt

Europe 72 vol I & II

Normal IL 1978 - a few month before I started school there

And

Sunshine daydream 1972

It's all 70's so if it works ill branch out

I would recommend Dead Set and Reckoning too, so you get a taste of the "Brent" era.

Egypt

Europe 72 vol I & II

And

Sunshine daydream 1972

I would NOT recommend Egypt. The boys did not want to release it because Keith's piano was out of tune...From what I've heard, I have to agree

My ears are out of tune so I don't hear thing like that. I already have all of the above and working through it now.

Why no pigpen on the Sunshine Daydream? I thought he was still with them at this point, I apparently was mistaken.

I considered hitting the L.A. Greeks (Furthur) with my buddy this past weekend but couldn't swing it. He sent me a photo yesterday of him and Bill Walton hanging out. It's not hard to miss Bill in a crowd.

I considered hitting the L.A. Greeks (Furthur) with my buddy this past weekend but couldn't swing it. He sent me a photo yesterday of him and Bill Walton hanging out. It's not hard to miss Bill in a crowd.

That Saturday (10/5) show looks great - looks like Neal Casal and Jonathon Wilson (separately) sat in -- probably will grab it if it pops up somewhere.

Would you know if Casal played the Wolf guitar, by chance?

Egypt

Europe 72 vol I & II

And

Sunshine daydream 1972

You can't go wrong with Skull Fuck as an introduction to the band. Great selection of tunes, mostly shorter in length (save for the Other One which takes up side 2). 1971 is a great year to get a newb interested imo.

That Saturday (10/5) show looks great - looks like Neal Casal and Jonathon Wilson (separately) sat in -- probably will grab it if it pops up somewhere.

Would you know if Casal played the Wolf guitar, by chance?

A bunch of my friends were there and loved the show.  I didn't ask about the Wolf guitar.

Hunter sat in on Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderdale's XM radio show this past week. Hunter and Lauderdale write together -- it was a pleasant 2 hour show.

Hunter played the way he originally wrote Black Peter's melody with his words ---- it was a "happy song about a person dying", which of course Jerry change into a "slow, sad song about a person dying"---- thank god, because Hunter's original pretty much sucked. The original China Cat melody wasn't too good, either --- of course he praised Garcia for his song/melody writing ability.

Dave's Picks Vol. 8 just announced, this is a good one, Fox Theater, Atlanta, 11-30-80

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/119610/Grateful-Dead-Dave%27s-Picks-Volume-8-Details-Emerge#39;s-Picks-Volume-8-Details-Emerge

Cool to get a Brent-era show. If I remember correctly, someone on dead.net guessed this pick in the comments section for Dave's Pick Vol. 7, but of course, those comments are all gone now. I wonder what they said? I am not familiar with this show, but look forward to receiving it.

Dave's Picks Vol. 8 just announced, this is a good one, Fox Theater, Atlanta, 11-30-80

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/119610/Grateful-Dead-Dave%27s-Picks-Volume-8-Details-Emerge#39;s-Picks-Volume-8-Details-Emerge

STOKED! This one is a HOT show. I LOVE the early Brent Era!