Someone was joking about the "big surprise" at Red Rocks being Bobby was gonna wear his short shorts again, hilarious!  Truth is hilarious, too.  Looks like Bobby still has that snake t shirt with cut-off sleeves from the 80s and he's wearing it!

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well......it really is a special version of scarlet fire...probably one of the finest transitions ever.

I'd be surprised if the quality is better than this:

http://archive.org/details/gd1980-11-30.110936.mtx.chappell.sb31.flac16

i'm a fan of 80, but this show is nothing special.  i'm really not sure what the big deal is.  everyone talks of how legendary it is and never gives any explaination of what the legend is.

also, been re-reading Blair Jackson's Garcia.  it has some interesting tidbits (solo tour 84?), but is really focused on Jerry's drug use, which is a drag.  also, he really give's weir short shrift by saying, 'he really became a fairly good songwriter by the end of the 70s'.  WTF?  that's just a ludicris statement.  also, Blair seems to love the mid 80s, so i revisited a few select shows.  Garcia was supposed to be clean in late 85 and damn if those shows still sound pretty shitty to my ears.  the dude could not sing post 82.  he learned how to use this 'new' voice by the late 80s, but 83-86 is just horrible.  not to mention Brent's toy piano.  sorry to be critical, we all have our favorite eras.  the playing was still great in the 80s.  however, blair jackson just makes some questionable comments in the book which are leaving a bad taste in my mouth.  

There are many MANY shows in the '83-'85 period that are among the finest the band ever played in the second half of their career. I could name a couple dozen at least, and I'm sure Lammy could as well. 

And I don't think Garcia was EVER "sober", with the exception of the post-coma period (maybe) through most of '87 (possibly). When he moved in with MG for that period that was probably as close as he came. But who cares, really? I saw Jerry many times where he was so high it was astounding that he could even remain horizontal, yet he played like a man who was a complete master of his craft. It's really amazing when you think about it.

Yeah, I don't have a record player (though I have been saying for the last 10 years or so that I am getting one) - but the set does look great.

Vinyl prices are ridiculous, though.

I wonder what else MG has ---- I also wonder how she is able to release Grateful Dead stuff, and not Rhino. I realize she probably 'owns' the masters, but I would think she would need the Dead/Rhino's blessing for release, but I don't see this on Dead.net at all, at least not yet.

Perhaps because the show was billed as the below, explains the release.

Incognito Grateful Dead show originally billed as Mickey Hart and His Heartbeats and Bobby Ace and His Cards from the Bottom of the Deck

I have 3 stereo systems. It's just something I would not buy unless I could get it on cd. I only buy old records, and never pay more than 10 bucks for a record.

I was wondering that also. I am surprised whoever controls the Jerry estate didn't put the brakes on the release.

There are many MANY shows in the '83-'85 period that are among the finest the band ever played in the second half of their career. I could name a couple dozen at least, and I'm sure Lammy could as well. 

Definitely. Garcia's voice was rough a times, usually near the end of tours, but that certainly isn't unique to this time period. The band had ups and downs in every era, imo, and this ear is no different. Plenty of absolutely killer shows in this er of 80s....

Ok so I've gone through most of the stuff I acquired and generally like it, like not love. I think the Europe 72 stuff seems like the best sound quality and best performances. The only drawbacks are the marathon songs like the other one and dark star, way too long for me. But overall I was intrigued enough to get more so I ordered Dave #8. I feel a little bad getting it over a dedicated dead fan but am going to keep it.

Ok so I've gone through most of the stuff I acquired and generally like it, like not love. I think the Europe 72 stuff seems like the best sound quality and best performances. The only drawbacks are the marathon songs like the other one and dark star, way too long for me. But overall I was intrigued enough to get more so I ordered Dave #8. I feel a little bad getting it over a dedicated dead fan but am going to keep it.

If you're already buying individual shows, we got ya. Welcome aboard! :lol

From the "Seaside Chat"

Incredible

Gorgeous

Wonderful

Great

Awesome

Exceptional

Definitive

Epic

Beautiful

Outstanding

These are the words Lemieux uses to describe the show. This jamoke really oversells every single release.

Dude, he's a FAN. Do you remember how Dick used to talk about shows? "The most important thing in the history of Mankind" and the like. If it's seen the light of day as an official release I trust these dudes (who have listened to more GD than I have, God love 'em) that it's not shit. And I do think this one is really really good.

They must have got some tapes from Mountain Girl. That must be who Dave was talking about when he briefly mentioned acquiring tapes recently.

According To Rolling Stone:

Grateful Dead fans who think they've heard it all are in for a treat. On November 29th, Rhino will issue 7,500 vinyl copies of a "lost show" recently discovered. The acoustic show took place at the Family Dog at the Great Highway in San Francisco on April 18th, 1970 and was originally billed as "Mickey Hart and His Heartbeats and Bobby Ace and His Cards from the Bottom of the Deck." A CD version will be available at Dead.net on the same day, with plans for a digital version in the future.

Dude, he's a FAN. Do you remember how Dick used to talk about shows? "The most important thing in the history of Mankind" and the like. If it's seen the light of day as an official release I trust these dudes (who have listened to more GD than I have, God love 'em) that it's not shit. And I do think this one is really really good.

Hope we both enjoy it. I have to admit that after getting three 2013 subscription picks, I don't trust the guy's judgment at all. If I buy any next year, it will likely be individual releases.

Selling show after show and these series releases never really interested me.  I'd much rather see them open up a digital store for all the shows including Ratdog, Otherones, Furthur, The Dead etc.  I'd also like Dave to put some time in putting together best of sets a la Without a Net from the less than stellar tours of the 90s.  A spring 93 set would be a great place to start.  Of course, the series and sets are money makers, so i see why they keep up with it.

Selling show after show and these series releases never really interested me. I'd much rather see them open up a digital store for all the shows including Ratdog, Otherones, Furthur, The Dead etc. I'd also like Dave to put some time in putting together best of sets a la Without a Net from the less than stellar tours of the 90s. A spring 93 set would be a great place to start. Of course, the series and sets are money makers, so i see why they keep up with it.

The release of previously unheard material from '69-'70 was what sucked me into the subscription. Some of that volume was wonderful, but some was horrendous and should never have been released IMHO. I am also a (very limited) seller on Amazon, so if I am underwhelmed by a release I will resell it for less than the other sellers. God bless capitalism. :lol
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing we ALL can agree on - another Wall Of Sound release!

Yes, I subscribed to another year, surprising absolutely no one.  :P

Any folks going to the Phil shows in NYC this week are probably aware of this already, posted by Phil on his FB page:

Apparently it was bad and Phil had to post the following so be careful out there!

http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/phil-lesh-warns-fans-of-aggressive-nypd-tactics-outside-best-buy-theater/

Phil Lesh Warns Fans Of Aggressive NYPD Tactics Outside Best Buy Theater

With several shows remaining at his current Best Buy Theater run, Phil Lesh has sent out an advisory for all fans attending the shows over the next few nights. Apparently, the NYPD has been cracking down hard on fans, and has used some “over the top” tactics at busting fans looking to enjoy the Grateful Dead bassist and his Friends.

This message was posted to Phil Lesh’s Facebook page about an hour ago:

The heat is out in force trying to bust people, regardless of whether you’re smiling on a cloudy day or not. Be cautious at the Best Buy Phil Lesh and Friends shows this week. We’ve heard of some aggressive, over-the-top police tactics going down in NYC. Use common sense, and know that you’re a target. We want everyone to have a great time.

So, in other words, be extremely careful as you are getting close to Best Buy, standing outside meeting up with friends, and getting into the venue. Be safe and have a great time at Phil Lesh & Friends!