Bands with critical acclaim/respect that don't deserve it.

I think they're a good band with good songs, but I don't think there's anything especially notable about them.   There were certainly worse bands (and better bands).   Their fans are aggressive chearleaders and that goes a long way towards overinflating things.

They inspire people. And other musicians.

I think that explains the cheerleading aspect. A ton of bands that you love, love The Replacements.

You don't. That's cool.

But without the Mats, I don't think that Wilco would be who they are today, for example.

You have to take note, whether you like 'em or not.

They made a difference, so there have to be a lot of people seeing something that you are not.

IMO, they are pretty much the embodiment of pure Rock 'n Roll. Nothing more, nothing less.

That perfect combination of great songwriting and reckless abandon.

But you can be wrong all you want!

;)

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They inspire people. And other musicians.

I think that explains the cheerleading aspect. A ton of bands that you love, love The Replacements.

You don't. That's cool.

But without the Mats, I don't think that Wilco would be who they are today, for example.

You have to take note, whether you like 'em or not.

They made a difference, so there have to be a lot of people seeing something that you are not.

IMO, they are pretty much the embodiment of pure Rock 'n Roll. Nothing more, nothing less.

That perfect combination of great songwriting and reckless abandon.

But you can be wrong all you want!

;)

Mats...that might be part of the problem.  What is that?  Mats?

I was referring more to my subscribership, circa mid-2005.  No way you could have known that.  But Deer Tick - yes. fucking terrible band. Songdog, too.  They've been pushing that garbage since I was a subsciber.

Springsteen

I agree, but if you don't get raked over the coals for saying this, it'l only serve to solidify my beief that "Mats" fans are worse than deadheads.

The Black Keys

Yup.  They are the G. Love and Special Sauce for the current generation.

Kanye, yes!

The others you said, I don't know that I've seen nearly the fawning that I have over Kanye.

Hard to say

Greetings,Wild,Born To Run, Darkness and the River run don't deserve critical acclaim. I would put this as the best 5 album run I can think of!

Agreed that it's a great run.

But I can think of a couple bands that had better ones:

Stones, Dylan, The Replacements ;)

Replacements -> Placemats -> Mats

Still not computing.

I love the Who, but I don't go around calling them the 'oo, even though that is a sanctioned nickname, and one that makes more phoenetic sense than "the mats." 

I would never say "Frisco" or "Chi Town" or "Beantown" either.