Your children's taste in music

And now, in the last few days, my older son has become obsessed with Violent Femmes.

Walking around the house singing "Kiss Off" and "Add It Up."

"I just can's stop! Those songs are so damn catchy!

"They're great!!!!"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a 1997 performance by a band that shall remain nameless, my 12-year-old daughter told one of the members that she'd recently seen a Pavement show. His response was, "Twelve years old is just about the right age for liking Pavement."

:o

After a 1997 performance by a band that shall remain nameless, my 12-year-old daughter told one of the members that she'd recently seen a Pavement show. His response was, "Twelve years old is just about the right age for liking Pavement."

:o

Good response actually. 

Now I'm going to play some Rush and Pavement for my 12 year old this weekend.

I've got Pavement covered, any Rush suggestions?  There's 33 albums on Amazon.

Their first album too, it'll rock your 12 year olds socks off.

• 3 weeks later...

My 9 -year old daughter has decided that "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" is her new favorite song. Argghhh!!!

But, on a happy note, she also discovered that she really likes ELO. All is not lost.

Actually I would be more pleased for my kid to like Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer then ELO, but that is just me.

LouieB

How did the kid get hands on ELO? That stuff should not be allowed in any house that deems itself "safe".

"A New World Record" takes a spin on the turntable periodically, of course. Funny, cuz I was just her age when Telephone Line rocked my world with its creepy, yet poignant sound. And what Top 40 loving 10-year old could resist Don't Bring Me Down?! Not me!

My niece and nephew know the entire Maroon 5 / overexposed from beginning to end and seem to be familiar with the lyrics of all songs.

My niece first played a Black Eyed Peas song for me in 2009 (perhaps that song Jeff Tweedy covered?) But at the time she played that for me I had no idea who these Eyed Peas were, nor I had the most remote interest in their music (that hasn't changed to this day).

She also discussed Fergie and seemed knowledgeable in the subject. She may or may not have mentioned Miley Cirus.

I'm glad I'm not part of that music generation. (Although I tend to believe that Maroon 5 may be to this  generation what R.E.M. was to us in the 90s, and like someone said in a recent teen movie John Mayer is "our generation's Sheryl Crow").

When she requested an R.E.M. song I deliberately chose it's the end of the world as we know it - and I feel fine, I knew she would recognise the song from that movie, Chicken Little if I recall correctly, she said it was a nice song.

"A New World Record" takes a spin on the turntable periodically, of course. Funny, cuz I was just her age when Telephone Line rocked my world with its creepy, yet poignant sound. And what Top 40 loving 10-year old could resist Don't Bring Me Down?! Not me!

Me, too. I fell in love w/ ELO when I was 14 & first heard Mr Blue Sky on the radio. After 35 years and musical detours into punk/hardcore/indie/alt country/etc I still dust off my ELO vinyl from time to time.

Telephone Line, Strange Magic, and Can't Get It Out Of My Head are lush pop masterpieces on par with Badfinger to my ear. Living Thing, Do Ya,  Evil Woman, Mr. Blue Sky, I think ELO has plenty of very good songs.  The highly orchestrated slick production sounds good to me.  I just don't want to hear it on Beatles or Tom Petty records.  ELO seems like good music for kids, just like the Beatles.  But I can see why some really don't like it.

My kids (8 & 10) are sadly growing out of the "I like whatever daddy likes" phase, but hopefully I've planted enough seeds with them these past years that by the time they hit college they'll come back to liking wilco, the mats, ramones, etc. But the next decade or so is going to suck -- already getting my fill of Katy perry, one direction & the like.