most interesting chord progressions

Outside of Wilco, I loved hearing "A Long Time Ago" twice on this solo tour. It was my request for Kansas City, the opening night of the tour. The verses and chorus are relatively straightforward chord changes, but in the middle there's an absolutely gorgeous fingerpicked passage. The solo arrangement of "Spiders" also reveals a tune with more depth and intricately played parts, over the bombast/guitar pyrotechnics of the full band, rock arrangement (which also is awesome).

there are many. Immediate stand-outs for me are:

Radio Cure

Poor Places

These two, for sure. Cars Can't Escape from YHF sessions as well. I'm a YHF nut, as you know. As far as other records go: things like Hotel Arizona, How To Fight Loneliness, and Wishful Thinking really create a mood.

These two, for sure. Cars Can't Escape from YHF sessions as well. I'm a YHF nut, as you know. As far as other records go: things like Hotel Arizona, How To Fight Loneliness, and Wishful Thinking really create a mood.

Just listened to the recording from the 9-4-2003 show at the MacDonald Theatre in Eugene, Ore., this afternoon. Great version of Cars Can't Escape at that show. I really like the live arrangements of YHF tunes from 2002-2003.

What makes those chord progressions interesting to you ?

I just started playing guitar - so I'm curious and like the interest of others.

So far the simplisty of Handshake Drugs I find to be very entertaining.

I just picked up Poor Places this weekend and that song is very enjoyable to play. (all studio versions)

Also Alone (Skakin Sugar) and Sky Blue Sky.

You are My Face is a little troubling still.

After playing guitar for awhile it begins to feel like most songs are built from the same blocks. I have been consistently surprised and pleased, learning Jeff's catalogue over the years, how many creative surprises he throws in, whether it's alternate timings, capo placement, creative chords or (in the case of this thread) linking chords together I've never or rarely encountered before.

After playing guitar for awhile it begins to feel like most songs are built from the same blocks. I have been consistently surprised and pleased, learning Jeff's catalogue over the years, how many creative surprises he throws in, whether it's alternate timings, capo placement, creative chords or (in the case of this thread) linking chords together I've never or rarely encountered before.

Thank you.

I understand and agree.

On Wishful Thinking there are two things that I find really cool.

The first one is how many chords fit without it sounding busy.  It's kind of a longer sequence, and the changes on the chorus are pretty quick but it's a really subdued song without all of that information sounding frantic.

The other is the cool substitutions that are outside of the scale.  The song is in D so the F#min and Bmin are typical, but then on the verse he puts in Emaj so there's a G# outside of the scale that settle back down to a G on the Gmaj that follows.  Same deal later on the outro chorus where Amin puts in a C natural that would be a C# in the scale (which we've heard each time he plays a F#min).  Both of those alterations are borrowed from a D blues (D, F, G, G#, A, C, D) which would make them seem more predictable in a blues style arrangement, but once the minor 6 (Bmin) and minor 3 (F#min) step in it's set up to sound like it's playing by classical rules.

None of this is at all revolutionary, but it is cool and clever.  These are absolutely tricks in the Beatles catalog, you just don't hear many people on the radio using them these days- a little more harmonic sophistication.

I'd like to look at the string arrangements on Black Moon.  There's some cool stuff in there, very dramatic.

To me, Handshake Drugs is made by everything going on in the full band arrangement. I think I'd be bored listening to a solo version of it.

The full band arrangement is best. I just play along with the album version or a live band version (Kicking T.V.) Its a test to see

how far into the sonic drone I can go.