Sunken Treasure = Jets To Brazil's "Lucky Charm"?

It's the other way around.

Jets to Brazil sounds exactly like Wilco. Your post reads like you are saying Wilco is 'stealing' their sound from Jets to Brazil.

Perfecting Loneliness came out in 2002. Being There came out in 1996.

Actually, I don't think this sounds very much like Wilco. I do see some similarities but the lyrics are kind of boring, the vocalist sounds sort of like Conor Oberst, and the song seems to just meander. But still, my hat's off to your girlfriend for recognizing a band with even superficial similarities to Wilco. I almost never hear anything that I can compare them to. 

Cornbread, totally, not trying to say Wilco ripped JTB off. And WM -- the melody, chord progression, even the song changes are almost identical. The lyrics to the JTB song aren't the same but the "sound" is certainly nearly identical to Sunken Treasure. 

Cornbread, totally, not trying to say Wilco ripped JTB off. And WM -- the melody, chord progression, even the song changes are almost identical. The lyrics to the JTB song aren't the same but the "sound" is certainly nearly identical to Sunken Treasure. 

To fully belabor the point...Unless Jeff  has a time machine, it is not possible for Jeff to have heard  this song when he was writing and recording Sunken Treasure. To really wail on the dead horse...2002 is six years after 1996.

Actually, I don't think this sounds very much like Wilco. I do see some similarities but the lyrics are kind of boring, the vocalist sounds sort of like Conor Oberst, and the song seems to just meander. 

BITE YOUR TONGUE BOY. This man is my McCartney. I love this mans lyrics.

Jets is "emo music" but without the winey voice and more clever lyrics. I only think the opening is similar to Sunken Treasure. But it isn't exactly super original anyway. It just works and sounds nice. 

Anyways. JTB and all of Blake Schwarzenbach's stuff is super influential to me. 

Yeah Blake Schwarzenbach has about nothing in common with Oberst vocally.  That was probably not the best introduction to JTB if you've never heard them.  Orange Rhyming Dictionary is on my top 20 rock albums list.  Give this a spin, it's much better and doesn't rob the chord progression from "Sunken Treasure":

I can hear similarities in the chord changes for sure. I mean how many times has a D chord been used in pop music with that rhythm in that time signature. probably too many to count. Definitely hear how somebody could make that assumption comparing the two. Hell, if I had heard that song without clicking this thread I would say most likely, "wow that sounds like Sunken Treasure"... rip off, not really, because if you wanna be technical about it everything is a rip off of something in some way or another. I think it's a nice song, and I think it's not right to write it off completely as "not good" just because it's very similar to something everyone of us has an affinity for. 

To fully belabor the point...Unless Jeff  has a time machine, it is not possible for Jeff to have heard  this song when he was writing and recording Sunken Treasure. To really wail on the dead horse...2002 is six years after 1996.

He understood your point and agreed with it in the previous post.