"Let's Dance" is a pretty good record.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Let's Dance" is a pretty good record.

It's got some great music.  Inglorious Basterds was a good reminder of how great Cat People is.  Never Let Me Down (1987), however, is a steaming pile of shite exceeded in shittiness only by the Glass Spider Tour that supported that LP.

Yeah, Let's Dance might have been his last quality record. Plus, it introduced many to the guitar stylings of Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Oh man. That sucked - what a loss.

I was barely able to finish "A Simple Plan". Cripes, what a horror story.

Started "Alas, Babylon" by P. Frank this morning.

I finished "A Killer Inside Me" in one day. Holy crap, what a great book. Sure, one could say its pulpy trash and I wouldn't argue but still, Thompson caught the vernacular of west Texas wonderfully, the plot was tight and some of the local yokel phrases he used were just perfect. He brought me into the mind of a flawed man who was spinning out of control.

6195WCGFNJL.jpg

City of Darkness:  Life In Kowloon Walled City.  An amazing book of stories and photographs of this massive, mostly ungoverned settlement in Hong Kong which was demolished in the 1990s. 

This looks worth the effort.

This looks worth the effort.

It is but unfortunately it is hard to find.  I borrowed this from a friend.  It is out of print and used copies tend be be in the hundreds of dollars.  They are reprinting it so I plan to buy the updated version when it comes out this fall. 

There is a lot of great stuff on-line about the Walled City, including a bunch of video taken on the inside.

Started "Under the Dome" by S. King this morning. I have "The Ruins" by S Smith for a back up if Dome doesnt warrant lugging the thing around.

Well, I finally finished The Song of Ice and Fire books (at least the published ones). Whew. Took a while, but really really worth it. It is so good on so many different levels. Clever writing, unconventional structure, the world building, part mystery, part political thriller, part adventure, part fantasy/sci-fi, the monster in the margins, the cliche/trope smashing, the dynamic characters, both familiar and foreign at the same time, ... very very good. For those who have only seen the HBO show, let me recommend the books. You won't be disappointed.

31IHYfHKEyL.jpg