Now Reading in 2014

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, the last few books I've read, the protagonist is either insane or goes insane. I'm burnt out on insanity. Anyone have any light, good natured type books to suggest?

Just finished T.C. Boyle's fast-moving Talk Talk, about a deaf woman who finds herself the victim of a takeover type identity theft. A great story in which nobody goes insane. Lots of believable action and rage and crazy* situations. Man that guy can write.

*crazy-amazing, not crazy-insane.  :P

Thanks, I'll look into that one.

I read Drop City a while back and didn't care for it. It felt like TC was trying to impress by whipping out these unfathomable words that no one is going to know the definition of. But I'd be willing to give him another shot.

I liked Drop City but I know what you mean on that one. Talk Talk is more straight-ahead story. Actually I think I like almost all of Boyle's books better than I did Drop City. The Women, about Frank Lloyd Wright's women, was pretty great. But some insanity there. The Road to Wellville was very good too, but again, some insanity.

• 2 weeks later...

Self-serving comment here but I just started reading an advance copy of a book my brother-in-law wrote – and which will be published next year.  He and one of his brothers re-traced the 2,000 mile Oregon Trail from Missouri to Oregon with a covered wagon, three mules, and a Jack Russell Terrier.  It took them about four months and was quite an adventure.

I recall seeing actual wagon wheel ruts on the ol' Oregon Trail in some state park out west. They were somehow still there. Pretty cool.

Now reading...."The Tommyknockers" by S King. I read it in 88 and am on a King binge lately so what the hell.

9780306822605_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG    9780802129017_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Finished The Snider book--which was a fast and fun read--now onto the Scott-Heron memoir.

I haven't read the Todd book yet but from what I can gather it's mostly written versions of his spoken stories from shows....

There are quite a few stories that he's told at shows over the years present, but there are also numerous new stories which made the book worth it for me. Even the familiar stories were fun to hear again as some were fleshed out with new details.

Well, I finally finished The Song of Ice and Fire books (at least the published ones). Whew. Took a while, but really really worth it. It is so good on so many different levels. Clever writing, unconventional structure, the world building, part mystery, part political thriller, part adventure, part fantasy/sci-fi, the monster in the margins, the cliche/trope smashing, the dynamic characters, both familiar and foreign at the same time, ... very very good. For those who have only seen the HBO show, let me recommend the books. You won't be disappointed.

31IHYfHKEyL.jpg

So...who do you think John Snow's real parents are?

51PJIS7oRPL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Mortimer has an interesting theory of the real fate of Edward II and the whirlwind reign of his son.

I recall seeing actual wagon wheel ruts on the ol' Oregon Trail in some state park out west. They were somehow still there. Pretty cool.

That's actually what got my bro-in-law interested.  He was somewhere in Kansas researching another project and he saw these wagon wheel ruts and started following them on foot.  That led him to a small museum about the Oregon Trail and he was hooked. 

There are quite a few stories that he's told at shows over the years present, but there are also numerous new stories which made the book worth it for me. Even the familiar stories were fun to hear again as some were fleshed out with new details.

Picked this up last week and started it last night. Entertaining, so far, with a few lol moments. 

Also reading Aces Back to Back: The History of the Grateful Dead by Scott Allen. IT's a pretty good collective time line of events of the band. Started it very briefly last November but gave it away as a gift.