Now Reading in 2014

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How is this?

There's enough intrigue to keep me going, but it hasn't fully engaged me yet, which is probably why I'm only on chapter 3 after a week of reading. Darnielle shows promise as a novelist, some of his similes seem clunky and unnecessary, but overall the writing has been good. I get the sense that the story is about to pick up steam. I'll weigh in again after I've finished this one.

Finished "Annihilation" by J VanderMeer yesterday. Not sure if I'll read the next one.

Started "Deliverance" by J. Dickey yesterday. Now this is some writing that I admire, good stuff.

Finished "Deliverance" the other day. Holy cow, what a treat that book was. I had no idea I was gonna read a masterpiece when I started it. Highly recommended.

Started "River Horse" by W. Least Heat Moon yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

Gave up on "Money". While it was funny in a British sort of way, the main character gave me the creeps.

Started "Just Kids" by P. Smith

Started "Just Kids" by P. Smith

I envy your time/energy to read so much and so often. "Just Kids" was great.

I've been reading fluff lately-- an airplane crash/survival story (a go-to genre for me when I can't focus on anything too complex, but my first love is shipwreck/survival at sea) called "Into the Abyss"; and now, "Grayson," an autobiography by a long-distance swimmer who encounters a juvenile gray whale while training offshore, and can't swim ashore without the whale beaching itself. Soon I'll read a book for grown-ups.

51GJdri-SDL._SL500_AA300_PIaudible,Botto

Been on a medieval England jag lately. The last month or so, I have read Ian Mortimer's books on Edward III, Henry IV, and Henry V in 1415.

Now reading Dan Jones' exceptional book on the Plantagenet Dynasty

140320-chilton-A-Man-Called-Destruction.

About halfway through. Getting into the Third/Sister Lovers era right now.

I am reading John Fante's "Bandini Quartet". Really terrific stuff.

LouieB

I've got all the books, hoping to do that soon. Read Ask the Dust years ago, really loved that one.