Now Reading in 2014

51OMI4Jez3L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

I am still plowing through this set. On Book #2 now.

Who do YOU think John Snow's real parents are?

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Read Northline by Willy Vlautin after Fritz' glowing reviews.  It was a terrific read -- very starkly written, and very compelling.  The soundtrack that comes with the book is gorgeous and sad -- guitar, harmonica, pedal steel and piano.  A perfect companion piece. 

Don't forget Lean on Pete as well. That's a great book, too.

The soundtrack that comes with the book is gorgeous and sad -- guitar, harmonica, pedal steel and piano.  A perfect companion piece. 

** edit:  Actually, the soundtrack isn't just sad, it is heartbreaking.  I don't know what it is about pedal steel, but it just reaches inside your chest and grips tight and doesn't let go.  It's both a physical and emotional feeling.  Very powerful.

The soundtrack to Northline is a wonderful piece of music. It's my wife's favourite CD in our house. It's on pretty high rotation. I am so with you on your comments about pedal steel. There is something other worldly, ethereal and graceful about that instrument. It gets under your skin and into your head. The effect it has on me is like no other instrument. You describe it very nicely, Ms Smells like Flowers!

One of the few Steinbeck books that I haven't read, yet.

Haven't read any Steinbeck in a long while - need to revisit him, soon.

I was struck by the subject matter (paganism; natural spirit worship?) and that it wasnt held against him by the prudes in our society. Couldve been an early career ruining move.

One of the few Steinbeck books that I haven't read, yet.

Haven't read any Steinbeck in a long while - need to revisit him, soon.

Ditto! One of my favorite authors. I've read the short ones/trilogy (Cannery Row, Tortilla Flat, Sweet Thursday) tons of times  and most all of his others (even Cup of Gold) but never this one.....

I was struck by the subject matter (paganism; natural spirit worship?) and that it wasnt held against him by the prudes in our society. Couldve been an early career ruining move.

I just read this from the former director of the Steinbeck Center about the book:

"This early novel is raw, uneven and compelling, stamped by Steinbeck’s brief friendship with Joseph Campbell in 1932."

There ya go, NOJ.

I just read this from the former director of the Steinbeck Center about the book:

"This early novel is raw, uneven and compelling, stamped by Steinbeck’s brief friendship with Joseph Campbell in 1932."

There ya go, NOJ.

Wow, Joey Campbell, eh? Well, there you go, 'nuf said.

YOu ever read what Campbell said about GD shows? Interesting, I'll try to find it.

Wow, Joey Campbell, eh? Well, there you go, 'nuf said.

YOu ever read what Campbell said about GD shows? Interesting, I'll try to find it.

Yeah. I have a book by Bill Moyers with a great interview of Campbell and discussion on his The Power of Myth. This is a video conversation, as well, from PBS I believe.

Yeah. I have a book by Bill Moyers with a great interview of Campbell and discussion on his The Power of Myth. This is a video conversation, as well, from PBS I believe.

Yep, you got it.

Last year I sold a ton of books, mostly inappropriate stuff that I didnt want my soon to be young teens to get their hands on. During that purge, I almost sold my Campbell books but at the last minute pulled them out of the pile.

What would be inappropriate with the Campbell books? Also, what books did you deem inappropriate? Curious George wants to know.

Oh, I didnt mean Campbell was innappropriate. I went on a big purge of material things because it looked like it was splittsville with the wife last summer. Thats since gotten on a better track. Here's one title I ditched- "Drinking, Smoking and Screwing". I got rid of a whole bunch of similarly themed books. I dont want to overtly influence the kids with that sort of stuff. Let them learn it on the streets like I did.

Oh, I didnt mean Campbell was innappropriate. I went on a big purge of material things because it looked like it was splittsville with the wife last summer. Thats since gotten on a better track. Here's one title I ditched- "Drinking, Smoking and Screwing". I got rid of a whole bunch of similarly themed books. I dont want to overtly influence the kids with that sort of stuff. Let them learn it on the streets like I did.

Oh man, that's the same book I bought for my oldest boy's 13th bday last summer!!

Sorry to hear about the wife thing. It was probably because of that other place.