Now Reading in 2014

Oh man, that's same book I bought for my oldest boy's 13th bday last summer!!

Sorry to hear about the wife thing. It was probably because of that other place.

heh, if you had a tip jar I'd toss in a 5.

Nah, thats all in a much better place now. It got real close though. I tell ya, modern medicine works wonders

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vacilidor. Look it up  :)

I swear you must be their manager of something... :lol

They seem to never make it down to the South suburbs -- would try to catch them if they did.

I swear you must be their manager of something... :lol

They seem to never make it down to the South suburbs -- would try to catch them if they did.

You're right, they hardly ever play down that way. Actually, they hardly play in Chicago proper. They do play often in Morris and LaSalle and Springfield so there options if you were ok with a drive.

Liquor?

that and anti depression type stuff.

Ditto! One of my favorite authors. I've read the short ones/trilogy (Cannery Row, Tortilla Flat, Sweet Thursday) tons of times  and most all of his others (even Cup of Gold) but never this one.....

I've been on a big Steinbeck trip lately and loved all the books you mentioned here. Another I'd add is The Wayward Bus. Such clear and precise writing. It's beautiful. I'll also be seeking out The Log From The Sea of Cortez soon.

"The Deserters" by C. Glass

The book follows the paths of 3 men who deserted from the Allied forces during WW2.

You're right, it is great. Reading it now. I think it was you who said you loved a good coming-of-age story. Lean on Pete fits that bill perfectly.

It certainly does.

I read the Bandini books but never found him hilarious. Hmmmm.....

Never read those. Maybe they arent funny?

Maybe I'm a sucker for chuckles? After all, I thought "Confederacy of Dunces" to be the height of comedy (still do, too).

Just had my library order up this one for me. Not exactly light summer reading.

413TR6JO75L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Few growing up in the aftermath of World War II will ever forget the horrifying reports that Nazi concentration camp doctors had removed the skin of prison ers to make common, everyday lampshades. In The Lampshade, bestselling journalist Mark Jacobson tells the story of how he came into possession of one of these awful objects, and of his search to establish the origin, and larger meaning, of what can only be described as an icon of terror.

From Hurricane Katrina–ravaged New Orleans to Yad Vashem in Jerusalem to the Buchenwald concentration camp to the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, almost everything Jacobson uncovers about the lampshade is contradictory, mysterious, shot through with legend and specious information. Through interviews with forensic experts, famous Holocaust scholars (and deniers), Buchenwald survivors and liberators, and New Orleans thieves and cops, Jacobson gradually comes to see the lampshade as a ghostly illuminator of his own existential status as a Jew, and to understand exactly what that means in the context of human responsibility. One question looms as his search progresses: what to do with the lampshade—this unsettling thing that used to be someone?

I actually have been pretty burned out on Holocaust-related stories, since they've been shoved down my throat since childhood all throughout my religious school education. (It was a big part of the curriculum at my Reform Jewish temple.) But this story just intrigues me.

I've read about The Lampshade before and am interested, too. PT, you've probably read Four Perfect Pebbles, too, then. I like to use that one every now and then in my literacy circles for my students just because most of them know little-to-nothing about the Holocaust and it's a "kid-friendly" way to the subject.

My 13 yr old son just finished Eli Wiesel's "Night". The lad wasnt aware of the evils of man prior to that.

"Travels in the Greater Yellowstone" by J. Turner

He really captures the essence of Yellowstone in his writing. Makes me wanna go back so bad.