Now Reading in 2014

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There aren't many books I can read again but this is one of them.

Northline.JPG

I'm so glad to have found this author through your posts. I've been making my way through his novels slowly, to savor them, since they're relatively short. Reading The Motel Life now. His barebones style paints stark and desolate images of people who have pretty much fallen through the cracks. They are honestly a little depressing, but I keep going back for more.

I'm so glad to have found this author through your posts. I've been making my way through his novels slowly, to savor them, since they're relatively short. Reading The Motel Life now. His barebones style paints stark and desolate images of people who have pretty much fallen through the cracks. They are honestly a little depressing, but I keep going back for more.

Yeah, they're a lot like that. You just want to go back in again. Amidst all of that desolation there are sparks of hope and that's what makes them compulsive reading. Aside from this, he cares about his characters so much.

Read Motel Life a month ago, I liked it. Havent seen the flick that came out recently based on the book but IIRC, it didnt get glowing reviews.

Read Motel Life a month ago, I liked it. Havent seen the flick that came out recently based on the book but IIRC, it didnt get glowing reviews.

I don't think I'd want to sully the characters by seeing a movie version, especially if it got bad reviews (I'm a sucker for being predisposed by bad movie reviews, and certain critics I trust altogether too much). Just finished The Motel Life last night -- I totally loved the part where Frank told Jerry Lee the story that had Willie Nelson in it. That pretty much made the book for me!

Uh, I'm not certain that book will help set the mood, IF you know what I mean.....

Whens the nuptials?

The book will have no import on any shenanigans. Pretty sure the wedding is the 21st of this month. 

Pretty sure the wedding is the 21st of this month. 

Well, have fun, I wont be able to make it though, sorry.

Prior plans preclude my being present. Please offer my apologies to the newly Mrs. Lammycat.

story-wild-book-cover-4254_jpg.png

A good read so far. And she was (is?) a Wilco fan, as evidenced by a few references to the band.

I really, really liked that book.  The painful truths Cheryl Strayed revealed about herself and the painful reality of life on the trail made for a great read.  The Wilco references gave her extra points, too!  And, as a personal bonus, I was inspired to start backpacking after reading the book last year.

"Wild" was indeed a good read.

Now reading "Settled in the Wild; Notes from the Edge of Town" by S. Shetterly

I liked it a lot.  I'm curious to see how it works as an HBO show ...

Its reminding me a bit of that book by that Spanish guy....."Blindness".

• 2 weeks later...

Now reading Sam Cutler's book about his time with the Stones and the Dead. Lots of interesting details on Altamont. Well worth the time to read it.

Disaster-artist.jpg

About halfway through this entertaining read. Tommy Wiseau is an interesting character to say the least.