Now Reading in 2014

I am generally not a re-reader of books but for some reason I can always re-read this and I almost always choose to do it when I am in a strange, inexplicable, wistful mood. So it's time again for Garp.

7069.jpg

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure why, exactly, but I've been asked to provide a cover blurb for a novel by a new author that will be published this fall.  I start reading this week.  After that, I'm going to jump into Cymbeline, in my quest to read at least one Shakespeare play each summer until none are left.  Only nine more to go!

Reading The Secret History by Donna Tartt.  It's a great read, although I liked The Goldfinch a bit more. Apparently it's being adapted for a movie, which I think will work really well with the story (a group of Classics students at a small Vermont college murder their classmate. * Not a spoiler, this is revealed on page 1.)

I am generally not a re-reader of books but for some reason I can always re-read this and I almost always choose to do it when I am in a strange, inexplicable, wistful mood. So it's time again for Garp.

7069.jpg

Funny you mention all of that.  I am not much of a re-reader either but this past weekend my local library was having a book sale and I picked up a nice hardcover copy of Cider House Rules

"Those Who Wish Me Dead" by M. Kortya.

I'm bouncing back in forth between that one and Zinn's "A People's History of The United States".

davies.jpg

The chapters don't follow a chronological order, and he skips over stuff that deserves being expanded upon, but regardless of that this has been a very enjoyable read so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently finished this:

catcher-in-the-rye-jpg.jpg

I didn't know anything about it other than the author's name and the name "Holden Caulfield".  Now that I've read it, I'm still not sure.  I think the best I've been able to come up with is that I'd probably have a stronger feeling toward the book had I read it 30+ years ago.

Anyway, I saw this guy's picture on a dollar bill I used to own, so decided to see what he's about.

Washington.jpg

It's still early in the book but, so far, no mention of cherry trees or telling lies.

about 100 pages into Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith after taking tooolong to read Telegraph Avenue by Chabon. Excellent so far, never knew I dug Russian era 1930's espionage...

started "11/22/63" by S. King this morning. The book weighs 4 lbs so it better hook me quick if I'm gonna lug that sucker around.

Finished reading "Attempting Normal" by Marc Maron the other day. Now reading:

41MA4tUQp7L.jpg

^^^^That looks good.

It's a very interesting read so far. He gets deep into what it's like to have debilitating depression, and how it took over his life.

I read a lot of Vonnegut in high school and college (which was a while ago).  A few years ago I picked up Breakfast of Champions and it didn't do much for me.  But I found a nice copy of Slaughterhouse Five recently and just re-read it and really enjoyed it.   

4120yizU-2L.jpg

Just finished this - was very impressed by how the author synthesized 400 years of North American history and, though his prism, made it all make sense.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Nations-By-Colin-Woodard/261387677225942