worst sounding albums

I don't mean that the music isn't any good--although sometimes the music is bad also.

I'm talking about records that just sound shitty.

for example:  every studio album by the Grateful Dead, except maybe the one with the song that makes everyone so angry.

even American Beauty and Workingman's Dead have pretty lackluster production and mixing.

also: those Pavement guys.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not trying to offend anybody but.....YHF, Summerteeth, Being There

I tried selling those CDs at Reckless recently and they wouldnt buy 'em. They were in good shape too.

I don't mean that the music isn't any good--although sometimes the music is bad also.

I'm talking about records that just sound shitty.

for example:  every studio album by the Grateful Dead, except maybe the one with the song that makes everyone so angry.

even American Beauty and Workingman's Dead have pretty lackluster production and mixing.

I have the MOFI vinyl of Wake of the Flood, it sounds terrific.

Not trying to offend anybody but.....YHF, Summerteeth, Being There

Strongly disagree with YHF (for me the production is like a warm blanket), I can see your point on ST (a little over compressed) but the production has never bothered me, and definitely Being There.. WAY too trebly and thin, almost ruins the album for me.. But its still my top 1 or 2 favorite Wilco record.  

Now Sky Blue Sky on the other hand, horrible.  Atticus once described it perfectly (and I paraphrase) "it sounds like they lined up the amps in front of a wall of tampons and hit record".  

Atticus once described it perfectly (and I paraphrase) "it sounds like they lined up the amps in front of a wall of tampons and hit record".  

Listen to "company in my back" and then anything off SBS, and tell me the drum tone on SBS isn't annoying. It's like the mics were shoved in tampons.