worst sounding albums

The live sound is going to be better than the studio sound in most cases, I'd think, and with most bands. Particularly with the GD, too. I still think their studio stuff, Wake of the Flood, too, sounded good, regardless of the content on some of them.

all I had time to listen to in the car on the way to lunch and back was American Beauty.  It was a remastered version on Spotify.  It seemed to have more low end than I remember on my copy.  I think one of the things that bothers me with this album is the panning.  It's just weird to hear the dead with a sort of Beatles-esque panning situation.  And Jerry's electric guitar parts just sound flat and tinny to me, tone-wise.  it just feels like the producer and engineer were trying to record the Dead as if they were some other band.  Hard to articulate.  But this re-master is sonically clearer.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all I had time to listen to in the car on the way to lunch and back was American Beauty.  It was a remastered version on Spotify.  It seemed to have more low end than I remember on my copy.  I think one of the things that bothers me with this album is the panning.  It's just weird to hear the dead with a sort of Beatles-esque panning situation.  And Jerry's electric guitar parts just sound flat and tinny to me, tone-wise.  it just feels like the producer and engineer were trying to record the Dead as if they were some other band.  Hard to articulate.  But this re-master is sonically clearer.

Steve Barncard won't like reading that. Anyhow, he was experienced with the Dead and all the SF PERRO players at Wally Heiders.

I may have already written it here, but my MOFI vinyl of Wake is the best sounding music I own.

Steve Barncard won't like reading that. Anyhow, he was experienced with the Dead and all the SF PERRO players at Wally Heiders.

I may have already written it here, but my MOFI vinyl of Wake is the best sounding music I own.

I like the content of American Beauty. I am only saying--dictated solely by my personal taste--that I would most likely more enjoy how it sounds if it had been recorded, produced, mixed and mastered differently.

With no sarcasm I tell you I'm very happy if others love the sound of grateful dead records. As I've mentioned, it's been ages since I've listened to them, so I can only offer my opinions as I go through them again.

you know who was really good at recording guitars?

Matthew Sweet

Girlfriend and Altered Beast--whatever you think about the underlying lyrics or songs themselves--have some amazing guitar work, and it sounds like they're playing in the same room a few feet away.  

edit:  had no idea that Jim Rondinelli, who is credited with engineering and mixing Girlfriend, is also credited with same for Being There.

Matthew Sweet

Girlfriend and Altered Beast--whatever you think about the underlying lyrics or songs themselves--have some amazing guitar work, and it sounds like they're playing in the same room a few feet away.  

edit:  had no idea that Jim Rondinelli, who is credited with engineering and mixing Girlfriend, is also credited with same for Being There.

I love the mixing on Girlfriend - crystal clear. Altered Beast, I struggle with. I think the number of guitars (sounds like a bunch) muddies it to my ear. Could just be that I am not able to discern the individual guitars well, though.

I love the mixing on Girlfriend - crystal clear. Altered Beast, I struggle with. I think the number of guitars (sounds like a bunch) muddies it to my ear. Could just be that I am not able to discern the individual guitars well, though.

I hear what you're saying but there are some amazing guitars on Altered Beast. The following come to mind: Dinosaur Act, Ugly Truth Rock, Do It Again, What Do You know?

There are some weak-ass songs and junior high lyrics on that record but damn does it sound great

absolutely, positively: Nothing.

ok, then, Exile and also, Layla.  But i just love those records so gosh darn much, I sorta stopped noticing.

sorry bout the selfie-quote

Matthew Sweet

Absolutely agree.  Love the mixing of the 2 guitar parts of the title track.  So damn good. 

i went to a wedding where the bride's sister was married to Matthew Sweet.

I hope not to DOES SHE TALK?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdAmfWmgdPE

R.E.M. Accelerate.  It gave me a headache the first time through.  There was no second time through.  The songs sounded okay live, but the CD was just awful.

Adventures in Hi-Fi - I know it was recorded part in studio / part in sound checks, etc., but I can barely listen to half of the songs.

Any rather recent recordings that put minor (supposed to be hidden) Auto-Tune all over vocals. I'm not talking about T-Pain sound, but when people try to use it in a way closer to the original intent - unnoticeable and to correct minor pitch problems - but use it on the entire vocal.

Being There dates itself some with the odd vocal effects choices that are most associated with the 90's. Other than that, I don't remember it sounding bad, and especially not ST or YHF.

Donald Fagen - The Nightfly / I came to it because it was listed in one of the best recorded albums of all time in a recording magazine. I bought a CD that was probably made in the 80's and there is ZERO bass. Even in my vehicle which pushes bass too much, I barely hear any bass. I think this album is what some engineers use to test sound systems, so this is something I have wondered about:

Are a lot of CD's pressed in the 80's mastered poorly with little bass presence?