Just wanted to send out a good luck vibe or several to those of you in the path of this huge arctic chill moving into the U.S. Hope you are all hunkered down with plenty of hot chocolate and other libations, as well as food and firewood. Stay cozy, keep warm, and let us know how it is where you is.* :)

*intentionally bad grammar

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently -14 in Chicago. It didn't seem too bad heading to the EL this morning. The wind wasn't bad, and I was pretty bundled up. But apparently the wind chill is something like -37 here. Yikes.

Wow.

No matter how cold it gets tonight in Tampa, I will remember this and try not to complain.

Wow.

No matter how cold it gets tonight in Tampa, I will remember this and try not to complain.

No kidding. It was 15 (above zero) this morning in DFW. And while that's certainly cold, it's nothing compared to what other areas are facing.

Of course, my office was shut down for two weeks, and when I walked in this morning, the thermostat said 58. It still hasn't warmed up, so I'll complain just a little. :lol

The crazy thing is - it snowed like mad here over the weekend. I'm guessing at least 8 inches? So the alleyways are one big clusterfluck, and the city doesn't plow alleyways. There's a 3 foot drift leaning against my garage door, but I'm trying to figure out how to clear it. Because where would I put the shoveled snow? There's nowhere to put it. I can move it out of my way, but that means it's in someone else's way. 

Thank Satan that I don't have to deal with street parking and "dibs"

Yesterday I helped push out two stuck cars on my way home, and this morning I saw someone brushing off a foot of snow from her car. Nevermind that the car itself was plowed in. When that slushy stuff freezes, it's like concrete. 

Just walked my daughter a block to a friend's house here in Des Moines.  On the way home, I noticed she dropped her doll's hairbrush along the way.  I ran it back to the friend's house.  That extra 90 seconds or so of outside time nearly killed me.

The power was just restored after being out for 2 hours. The temp in the house fell 12 degrees in a hour. I was just about to start draining the pipes. I think we'll hold on to the hotel reservation for a while longer and see how it goes. Out there, its minus 12 degrees right now. Normally I like the cold but this is nuts. 

So much for global warming har de har har. :usa  :jerkit

That's why climate change is a more appropriate name.  Increasing levels of greenhouse gases causing generally more chaotic and extreme weather events.  Winter still exists. Cold air still exists. It's the patterns and trends that are shifting as the overall globe warms. The jet stream is altered from a relatively modest wave into a wave pattern of tighter frequency, pushing cold air into deeper "valleys" of the wave and warm air into higher "troughs" of the wave.

In the northern hemisphere there are record breaking warm days in Alaska, Canada, and Siberia. In the southern hemisphere there are record breaking hot days in Australia and Brazil.

In 1994 in Chicago it was -11 on January 18th. I believe in climate change, and in my own way I advocate for fighting against it every day, but I am not comfortable with all extreme weather events being linked to it.

Guest Don Draper

When I got out of bed it was -24. When it was -14 yesterday it was ok out, but this is something else. No one at work is in dress clothes today. Someone didn't even take his snow pants off. I had my balaclava on wrong this morning and my breath went straight up and steamed my glasses and they frosted over immediately, so I had to go back inside for a minute.

In 1994 in Chicago it was -11 on January 18th. I believe in climate change, and in my own way I advocate for fighting against it every day, but I am not comfortable with all extreme weather events being linked to it.

True story, I was a senior in high school and jumped my girlfriend/now wife's car around that day.  She was just seventeen.

True story, I was a senior in high school and jumped my girlfriend/now wife around that day.  She was just seventeen.

Pics?

They're for Poon.