Gush: Top cd I came across in 2013. In large part due to the Sound Opinions radio show/podcast. They killed it at Pitchfork this summer too. Also a great fast tempo album that is fun to run to and I did a lot of that last year. Highly encourage all to check them out.

Great album and I love the lyrics.  More than a little Pavement influence which I consider a good thing.  I only have the Light up Gold but plan to pick up the new EP they just released.

I have not heard the record (or the EP), but I have heard the one song they play on XM: Stoned and Starving I think it is called. Very enjoyable guitar work with some impressive feedback in the outro. I may have to give this record a spin.

I've heard it several times on Spotify.

Love it.

Like 70s Bowery punk updated for the 90s, but recorded in the 2010s.

So, the current day The Strokes?

Yeah. Kinda.

But different.

I never thought The Strokes really sounded like those Bowrey bands. I mean, I could hear the influence, but they were their own thing (IMO). PC are a bit more derivative-sounding.

Yeah. Kinda.

But different.

I never thought The Strokes really sounded like those Bowrey bands. I mean, I could hear the influence, but they were their own thing (IMO). PC are a bit more derivative-sounding.

I agree, but every review said they sounded virtually indentical to Television and VU...two bands that don't sound alike.

Anyway...

Parquet Courts is a good enough band.  I like what I've heard so far and the live show I watched online was pretty good, but I don't know if there's enough substance there for me to have any interest in them a year from now.   I'd be happy if they win me over and prove me wrong, though.

apparantly they're touring Oz soon, according to my friend. she said "best modern band of all time" (i've never heard their stuff)

from their "website"

JAN 29th @ The Corner

Melbourne, Victoria

w/ Total Control, Constant Mongrel

JAN 31st @ Laneway Festival

Brisbane, Queensland

FEB 1st @ Laneway Festvial

Melbourne, Victoria

FEB 2nd @ Laneway Festival

Sydney, NSW

FEB 5th @ The Standard

Sydney, NSW

w/ Total Control, Bed Wettin' Bad Boys

FEB 7th @ Laneway Festival

Adelaide, SA

FEB 8th @ Laneway Festival

Fremantle, W. AUS

then to Uk it looks like.  not quite close enough for me to get there:(

If I didn't enjoy the recent Fallon performance, does that mean I probably wouldn't dig the rest of the album? 

I haven't heard the album, but based on a full show I've seen online all of their songs sound pretty similar to that one, so I would guess you wouldn't like the album.

• 3 months later...

Pretty rapid graduation into my favorite band working right now. Pulling off real New York punk. The Strokes sound like Celine Dion next to these dudes.

Incredibly sharp lyricism, and I'm a total sucker for noisy, angular guitar work. 

Very hyped for the new record. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdeQVLm_hZA

New record?  That's some good news:)

I just saw that, too.

It's great news!

Pretty rapid graduation into my favorite band working right now. Pulling off real New York punk. The Strokes sound like Celine Dion next to these dudes.

Incredibly sharp lyricism, and I'm a total sucker for noisy, angular guitar work. 

Very hyped for the new record. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdeQVLm_hZA

Have you heard these guys?

http://thethons.com

Doing a similar thing, but their singer has a little bit of a Mark E. Smith thing going on, too. 

I, like you, am really digging this CBGB-sound revival.

• 4 weeks later...

Also, the most recent single is killer. Only 2 more weeks of waiting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQS7szVjgY8

I am really excited for this one. Their last album would have been a top 5 of last year, had I heard it soon enough.