So after a few listens, I have to say it's better than the single led me to believe it would be.  In fact, it's fantastic, going into more personal, emotional territory than Light Up Gold but with the same lyrical aplomb. This was something I had wondered if they had in them, and  yup, they got it in 'em.  Of course the dust needs to settle some, but I think these guys have what takes to become one of the all-time greats.  How many great records do you need to qualify for that anyway? Cause these guys have two, and what I've heard from their hard-to-find-debut is pretty freaking good too.

Of course the dust needs to settle some, but I think these guys have what takes to become one of the all-time greats.  How many great records do you need to qualify for that anyway?

Four.  Three if your most important band member dies.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks like we're getting a second record from these guys in 2014...

they’ve already announced another one, and this time they’re using a different name. Last year, the band released their Tally All The Things That You Broke EP under the name Parkay Quarts, and they’re bringing that altered moniker back for Content Nausea, their new LP. Band members Andrew Savage and Austin Brown did most of this one by themselves, putting it together in two weeks on a four-track machine. Jackie-O Motherfucker’s Jef Brown adds saxophone, and Eaters’ Bob Jones plays fiddle. The album is more of an exercise in bent Americana than in the band’s usual tourettic postpunk, and it’s got covers of Nancy Sinatra’s “These Boots Were Made For Walking” and the 13th Floor Elevators’ “Slide Machine.”

http://www.stereogum.com/1712150/parquet-courts-uncast-shadow-of-a-southern-myth/mp3s/

I have to admit, I saw "flash in the pan" written all over these guys last year.  I still don't care enough to buy any of their records, but I'm glad for them that they seem to have longer term prospects.

I bet they will be more "flash in the pan". I say that owning both albums and loving them. It's going to be a brilliant flash, but I can't see them sticking around with this type of quality output for too much longer. Maybe another album or two.

I guess "flash in the pan" is sort of a nebulous concept.  You say you could see them doing one or two more albums of similar quality.  That'd be a four or five album run, which is highly respectable for any band.  Pavement only put out five real albums in their career, and it took Wilco almost ten years to get to five albums.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

As VC's resident Parquet Courts fanboy, here's the latest: 

A new record, teased: 

http://www.stereogum.com/1856592/parquet-courts-tease-new-album-human-performance-with-brooklyn-mural/news/

A new record, confirmed. Songs, played:

http://www.stereogum.com/1856759/watch-parquet-courts-play-new-songs-dust-and-outside-at-wfuv/video/

Also...what did ya'll think of Monastic Living? I know it sent many mainstreamindiebros running for the hills.

• 1 month later...

The new record is out in a week or so and I've had a chance to give it a listen already :).

A ton of variety in the sounds on this thing. Really excellent production (some of the tracking was done at the Wilco loft actually). 

EDIT: according to this review, Jeff Tweedy actually played a bit on the record!! 

"memorable guitar parts on Human Performance—the main riff on “Dust” and the piercing solo on the lazy strummer “Keep It Even”—are played by Jeff Tweedy, who recorded part of the album at the Wilco Loft in Chicago."

Think Wire's Chairs Missing, the Velvet Underground's softer s/t side, and a ton of tight, scrappy tunes.

And ICYMI, the video for "Berlin Got Blurry"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv0bBjMc6FY