Favourite vocal 'off the cuff' exclamations

Inspired by the Beatles moments thread. You know, a 'Take it to the bridge' or similar. 

"You're breaking my heart 'cos you're stealing my tart" at the end of Poolhall Richard

"Turn it up" on Sweet Home Alabama just hits the spot

I'm sure more will come to me ...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

far and away my favorite:

The Pretenders:

"Middle of the Road" --- Brrrr NEYOWWWW!!!!

Other great ones.

Sam and Dave:

"Soul Man" --- Play it Steve!!!

and anything that James Brown exclaims.

Not very specific but there are several moments in "every picture tells a story" where Rod Stewart just seems to be conveying how great a time he is having doing the song.  Just the little "Whooos" and things really add to the song for me.

A few years ago I made a trip to Hardly Strictly Bluegrass (the year JT did a solo show there, so what with Gillian Wlech and Emmylou it was well worth the journey) and got to see some of the old troopers - Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson etc. When Hazel Dickens took to the stage, she looked at her band already assembled there, and almost snarled 'Hit it boys!'. Sounds corny but it was so of the moment, authoritarian (despite her age) and marvellous. What a girl.

Warren Zevon's grunt at 2:34 of Lawyer's Guns and Money.

A little off topic, but I love the part near the end of Mutineer when Warren sings "Grab your coat, let's get out of here" and the "out of here" is sung in an intimate, conversational phrasing. It's just so affecting.