Favourite vocal 'off the cuff' exclamations

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After Merry Clayton's voice cracks singing "Rape, murder" in Gimme Shelter you can hear what I assume is Mick saying "Yeah!".  Love that.

Related, the background "yeah" during the opening riff of Can't You Hear Me Knocking.

"There were rumors he was into field hockey players"

"So I applied, basically. I tried out for the team."

sweet lou reed's "huh" in WOTWS

Bruce's "OUGH"  from Born to Run

David Bowie (shouldn't that have a SIR by now?)  "War -HALL, warhol,WARHOL"

Great thread!

Robert Plant shouting 'Gimme Jimmy!' just before Page's epic guitar break in Heartbreaker.

Paul Rogers 'THIS ONE! THIS ONE! towards the end of Bad Company's 'Can't Get Enough of Your Love'' (clearly recognising they'd nailed it).

Lee Brilleaux (Dr Feelgood) announcing '8 bars on piano!' midway thru 'Down to the Doctors' - followed by eight bars of no piano! 

The Small Faces 'Lazy Sunday Afternoon'  - just after Steve Marriott sings the line 'They stop me from grooving - they bang on the walls..' someone in the background shouting 'Fuck the neighbors!'

Or any of Marriott's numerous "COME ON, CHILDREN!" exclamations throughout his career.

Derek and the Dominos - Keep on Growing.  On the original vinyl I have (and have listened to a thousand times) there is no shout but on the remaster someone (Bobby Whitlock maybe?) shouts out "whoooo" just after the intro right as the song gets going. 

I cracked up the first time I heard it.  I'm generally not a big Clapton fan and while I don't love the Layla album there are a few songs on it that I think are fantastic, Keep on Growing being one of them. 

Derek and the Dominos - Keep on Growing.  On the original vinyl I have (and have listened to a thousand times) there is no shout but on the remaster someone (Bobby Whitlock maybe?) shouts out "whoooo" just after the intro right as the song gets going. 

I cracked up the first time I heard it.  I'm generally not a big Clapton fan and while I don't love the Layla album there are a few songs on it that I think are fantastic, Keep on Growing being one of them. 

Great tune. I really like how the Dead covered it, too.

After Merry Clayton's voice cracks singing "Rape, murder" in Gimme Shelter you can hear what I assume is Mick saying "Yeah!".  Love that.

If you haven't seen "20 Feet From Stardom" yet, it's worth it for this part alone.