RIP Pete Seeger

Since no one else is chiming in- When I posted up on Facebook this morning I got a reply from an old friend who said Pete had stayed with his family back in the 60s and had ended up teaching my friend how to play claw hammer banjo. Imagine that? Not only was Pete sleeping on the floor because he was on tour with others and needed a place to stay, but he taught a teenager how to play the banjo. Not too many musicians would do that.

LouieB

Since no one else is chiming in- When I posted up on Facebook this morning I got a reply from an old friend who said Pete had stayed with his family back in the 60s and had ended up teaching my friend how to play claw hammer banjo. Imagine that? Not only was Pete sleeping on the floor because he was on tour with others and needed a place to stay, but he taught a teenager how to play the banjo. Not too many musicians would do that.

LouieB

Yeah, I saw that. VERY cool. 

As someone who's literally lived the vast majority of his life within walking distance of the Hudson River, I'll say he's a saint. The Clearwater fundamentally changed the relationship our community has with the river; when he started his work the Hudson was basically an open sewer avoided by everyone. Now it's a source of pride that one can actually swim in.

Some comments from Bruce Cockburn:

"The last time I saw Pete Seeger was in December of 2012, when we both performed in New York at a benefit in aid of freeing US political prisoner Leonard Peltier. Although age had affected his voice, he was a fountain of good energy, as he had been all his life. The first time I heard of Pete was when my Grade 3 teacher held him up as a heroic example of moral courage, following his refusal to testify before McCarthy's House UnAmerican Activities Committee. In between, he was an inspiring element of the folk music scene, and a model of how to be a responsible citizen of the planet we all share. I was lucky enough to share a stage with him on several occasions, including, among others, opening for him at a show in Montreal decades ago, protesting at the gates of Ft Bragg in Georgia against the continued existence of the notorious School of the Americas, and his monumental ninetieth birthday bash at Madison Square Gardens. He was a pro. He will be missed."

Some comments from Bruce Cockburn:

"The last time I saw Pete Seeger was in December of 2012, when we both performed in New York at a benefit in aid of freeing US political prisoner Leonard Peltier. Although age had affected his voice, he was a fountain of good energy, as he had been all his life. The first time I heard of Pete was when my Grade 3 teacher held him up as a heroic example of moral courage, following his refusal to testify before McCarthy's House UnAmerican Activities Committee. In between, he was an inspiring element of the folk music scene, and a model of how to be a responsible citizen of the planet we all share. I was lucky enough to share a stage with him on several occasions, including, among others, opening for him at a show in Montreal decades ago, protesting at the gates of Ft Bragg in Georgia against the continued existence of the notorious School of the Americas, and his monumental ninetieth birthday bash at Madison Square Gardens. He was a pro. He will be missed."

I attended his 90th birthday at the Garden. Got a ticket for $15. The show was over 4 hours featuring tons of musical acts. It was quite the bang for the buck. It was a nice time...

Here was the setlist

Sunday night at Madison Square Garden, 51 artists played a 4-1/2 hour concert for 18,000 people in salute to the 90th birthday of folk great Pete Seeger.

• Menomonee Love Song - Pete Seeger with a group of Native American musicians
  • If I Had a Hammer - John Mellencamp
  • A Ride Back Home - John Mellencamp
  • Tim Robbins tribute
  • You Are Still Mine - New York City Labor Chorus
  • Which Side Are You On - Bruce Cockburn, Ani DiFranco
  • John Henry - Tom Paxton, Tom Morello, Eric Weissberg, Jacob Silver
  • Dear Mr. President - Michael Franti, Laura Cortese, Eric Weissberg, Patterson Hood
  • Oh, Freedom - Patterson Hood, Toshi Reagon, Bernice Johnson Reagon, Abigail Washburn, Guy Davis, Jacob Silver, New York City Labor Chorus
  • Internationale - Billy Bragg
  • Sticking to the Union - Billy Bragg, Mike & Ruthy Merenda, Dar Williams, New York City Labor Chorus
  • Sailin' Up, Sailin' Down - Pete Seeger, Taj Mahal, Steve Earle, Toshi Reagon, Warren Haynes, Tao Rodruguez-Seeger
  • 'Til the Sun Goes Down - Steve Earle, Warren Haynes, Buddy Miles
  • The Water is Wide - Emmylou Harris, Teddy Thompson, Kate and Anna McGarrigle, Rufus and Martha Wainwright, New York City Labor Chorus
  • Fare Thee Well - Bruce Cockburn, Kate and Anna McGarrigle, Rufus and Martha Wainwright
  • Banjo Medley (with Blue Skies & Happy Birthday) - Bela Fleck, Tony Triaschka
  • Waist Deep in Muddy Water - Tom Morello, Taj Mahal
  • Where Have All the Flowers Gone - Joan Baez
  • The Torn Flag (poem) - Rube Dee/Jesu Joy of Man's Desires - Bela Fleck
  • Bring 'Em Home - Tyler Ramsey, Ben Bridwell, Patterson Hood, Warren Haynes, Tao Rodriguez-Seeger, Preservation Hall Jazz Band
  • We Shall Overcome - Pete Seeger, Emmylou Harris, Joan Baez, Toshi Reagon, Bernice Johnson Reagon, Tao Rodriguez-Seeger, Billy Bragg, Keller Williams, Ani DiFranco, Ruby Dee, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, New York City Labor Choir
  • Intermission
  • Norman Lear's Tribute to Pete Seeger
  • Amazing Grace - Tao Rodriguez-Seeger, Pete Seeger teaching and leading the audience in harmony
  • Garbage - Tom Chapin, Michael Mask, Oscar the Grouch
  • There's a Hole in My Bucket - Kris Kristofferson and Ani DiFranco
  • Little Boxes - Tommy Sands and his Irish Band
  • Michael Row the Boat Ashore - Rufus and Martha Wainwright, Kate and Anna McGarrigle, Tony Trischka, Jacob Silver, Casey Driese, Tim Robbins, Miles Robbins, New York City Labor Choir
  • Freedom - Richie Havens
  • Jacob's Ladder - Joan Baez, Mike and Ruthy Merenda, Scarlett Lee Moore, Jay Unger, Molly Mason, Larry Long, New York City Labor Choir
  • Oh Mary Don't You Weep - Arlo Guthrie, Del McCoury, John Hall, Tony Trischka, Preservation Hall Jazz Band
  • Worried Man Blues - Arlo Guthrie, Tao Rodriguez-Seeger, Jay Unger, Molly Mason, Ramblin' Jack Elliott
  • Gather Round the Throne - Ben Harper, Ellen Verdes, Sue Chase, Tom Morello
  • Letter to Pete (Reading) - Peggy Seeger
  • Maggie's Farm - Kris Kristofferson, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, Richie Havens, Warren Haynes Taj Mahal, Keller Williams, Jay Unger, Molly Mason
  • Turn, Turn, Turn (to Everything There is a Season) - Roger McGuinn, Ben Bridwell and Tyler Ramsey
  • Precious Friend - Emmylou Harris, Arlo Guthrie, Tony Trischka, Preservation Hall Jazz Band
  • Rye Whiskey - Dave Matthews
  • The Ghost of Tom Joad - Bruce Springsteen and Tom Morello
  • This Land is Your Land - Pete Seeger & All
  • Happy Birthday - All
  • When the Saints Go Marching In - Preservation Hall Jazz Band
  • We'll Make the World Go - All
  • This Little Light of Mine - All
  • Goodnight Irene - Pete Seeger & All

did they do 'well may the world go'?... love that one together

Probably. Those shows were in the 80s so I don't honestly remember. The Carnegie Hall show that kicked off that series of tours is one of the best albums either of them ever did. I de-grooved it I played it so much.

LouieB

I know we don't usually post links to mp3s on VC, but here is a link to the above mentioned 90th birthday show, if anyone is interested. If the mods want me to take it down, I will delete this post, but please don't boot me off the forum for it, okay?  :)

http://musictravellerstwo.blogspot.com/2014/01/pete-seegers-90th-birthday-celebration.html

I know we don't usually post links to mp3s on VC, but here is a link to the above mentioned 90th birthday show, if anyone is interested. If the mods want me to take it down, I will delete this post, but please don't boot me off the forum for it, okay?  :)

http://musictravellerstwo.blogspot.com/2014/01/pete-seegers-90th-birthday-celebration.html

My fiancee was at that show.

Forgive me for tooting my own horn a bit, but I wrote about Pete in my editorial last week - scroll down if you don't care about Kingston politics:

http://www.kingstonx.com/2014/01/31/editorial-whose-department-heads-are-they-anyway/