Solid Sound - 2015 - June 26-28

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all do respect, I sincerely hope that I never have to sit through another Dredd Foole set. Once was one time too many.

that's why there's the museum!

was it solo vocal? I've seen him once, w/ Corsano drumming. i dug it quite a bit,  but i can see the polarizing aspect of what he does. 

this record's not too out there, though:

http://www.discogs.com/Dredd-Foole-Ben-Chasny-Drunk-With-Insignificance/release/5099799

For what it's worth, June 26th, 27th, and 28th are listed on Wilcoworld's show page as Wilco shows with the opportunity to request songs.

I saw this, and I noticed that the request box runs the same for all three days, too. So they are (possibly) keeping the options open for a Tweedy or Wilco show on any of those days.

Mascis played on Mark Mulcahey's set in 2013 if you missed it. And Mark played on J Mascis new album.

Also...would love if Fleet Foxes would come out of hiatus

Damn, I did miss that!

that's why there's the museum!

was it solo vocal? I've seen him once, w/ Corsano drumming. i dug it quite a bit,  but i can see the polarizing aspect of what he does. 

this record's not too out there, though:

http://www.discogs.com/Dredd-Foole-Ben-Chasny-Drunk-With-Insignificance/release/5099799

i will give that one a listen. yes, he was solo, opening for vetiver. 

I think Deerhoof is a good possibility considering its one of Spencer's favorite bands and they have a new album out

Seconded for Deerhoof. They'd be a perfect addition to the lineup. I think--but am not sure--that both Jeff and Nels have mentioned being fans also.

Seconded for Deerhoof. They'd be a perfect addition to the lineup. I think--but am not sure--that both Jeff and Nels have mentioned being fans also.

Nels and the Deerhoof folks have been playing together for more than 15 years. Here are his liner notes for Deerhoof's Apple O' album:

Every band, no matter how bad, is a kind of tiny miracle. Those that do their own songs - especially collectively written ones - seem even more miraculous. At what point do they decide that their music is "ready for the world"? When is a song "done"?? The innate specialness of this wondrous twirling microcosm is evident in the case of those most singular bands that have their own syntax, their incisively potent modus operandi. Bands like The Magic Band, The Shaggs, The Fall, Sonic Youth, Polar Goldie Cats, and The Minutemen are among those who seem to possess this ineffable chemistry. Add to that list Deerhoof, and while you're at it, put them way up there, because that's where they belong. 

Why are Deerhoof so near and dear to the hearts of young and old? (Young like most of their audience, old like me) They've been cranking out their gnarled anthems and guileless nursery rhymes for almost a decade now. What seems to be evident when pondering the delightful effect of their sound is that they represent a consistent marriage of opposite extremes. While singer/bassist/guitarist/sampler Satomi's vibratoless soprano soars guilelessly on tinkly halos of light, the band delivers powerful slabs of ROCK to the unsuspecting midsection. The effect is palpable. Seeing Deerhoof live, one finds oneself grinning foolishly at the charm of it all, even as the force of the dynamic contrasts, spearheaded by Greg's densely inventive drumming, sends out waves of such force that the entire audience seems vulnerable to whiplash. These are not people who raise defiant fists in the air, destroy their instruments (not on purpose, anyway), or spread their song sandwiches with an artery-clogging mayonnaise of angst. Yet few can match their infectiously raggedy powerbash and disposable pop godhead. From their humble beginnings as a totally damaged-sounding lo-fi shriek, these paradoxes of innocent magic dreamworlds and wounding shards of sonic shrapnel have seemed to be in place. Now, as they've become progressively more tuneful and a tad less noisy, comes the two-guitar assault of APPLE O', their seventh full-length disc. 

It is hard to explain the degree of love and admiration that follows this band wherever they go. As their tireless, self-effacing hard work begins to accumulate more admiring fans and more deserved accolades, one is still somewhat at a loss to explain this collective swoon we feel. Their live shows are probably the best means of instant conversion. I didn't catch up with Deerhoof until about five years ago when Carla Bozulich asked them to play a show with us (Scarnella) in San Francisco - Deerhoof country. All I remember from them was that rare sense of viewing a world within a world. As Satomi charmed, Greg sort of scared me: I thought he was maybe autistic as he contorted himself behind his bass drum/snare/cymbal drum set (he always sits way low on a milk crate). The fury of his intensity, the fierceness of his concentration, and the wildness of his ideas, left me excited yet somewhat shaken. As their personnel changed over the years, these elements would remain. Their whimsy contains open-ended inference. Their unashamed rocking is also subverted from within. All the while, the potency of this balancing act is undiminished. Deerhoof's album covers, as well as their lyrics, are like looking into the notebooks of a daydreaming schoolchild. Animals, magic and mundane, sing or catch fire. Stately trumpets herald the arrival of queen beasts and bear kings. Guitars buzz and chime, at times with the same spastic concept as Greg's drumming. Ascetic Casios and tiny tuba samples poke through and then vanish like benign taunting demons. As the worlds of "high", "low", and "outsider" art collide and blend more seamlessly than ever before, perhaps this is Deerhoof's time. 

For a while there, Deerhoof's album output lagged far behind it's mercurial conceptual and personnel permutations. For example, Chris was already in the band when the excellent REVEILLE came out last year, but he wasn't on the album. Not so with the one you hold in your hand: APPLE O'. When Chris joined the estimable but wildly unpredictable trio of Satomi, Greg, and John, he was playing some of that unfettered Kelly keyboard of old which served to reinforce the sing-song but also surprisingly sophisto melodies. Soon, however, he was on his primary instrument, the guitar, doubling with John, playing odd counterpoint, playing LOUD. This also freed Satomi to add a new wrinkle to the fabric: dancing twisted choreography after having her first taste of Madonna videos!! The sound of recent Deerhoof songs seems to have more than a bit to do with British rock of the mid-sixties (read: The early Who and Kinks). The new two-pronged guitar formation indeed seems more comparable to George and John or Ray and Dave than it does to Zoot Horn Rollo and Winged Eel Fingerling. And Greg is not only wailing in his neo-Tony Williams/Keith Moon/Billy Elgart/Philip Wilson superdynamic textural style (yes, there's a tambourine taped to the bass drum head), he's singing a bit these days (as on "Adam + Eve Connection", which evinces his long-standing love of vibratoless voices of the European Renaissance era and sounds sort of like My Bloody Valentine Unplugged). Elsewhere, we are treated to instrumental tidbits ("Hayley and Homer", and "My Diamond Star Car", the latter being some kind of tribute to Lightning Bolt), campfire boogie singalong ("Blue Cash"), and some severely rocking songs that taunt the listener by disappearing from view just when the thread has been grasped. Personal favorites are "L'Amour Stories" (which sounds to these ears just classic and crafty as hell - I defy you to resist such a pop confection!), and "Panda Panda Panda", which not only extends Greg's subversive rhythmic concept to the entire band but has a signature riff that Ash Bowie would probably give his left testicle to have written. The sampled goofiness of "Sealed With a Kiss" could win the admiration of Brian Wilson. "Apple Bomb" embodies a wistfulness and harmonic astuteness that makes one long for those days when men wore lace and Claudine Longet was still in love with Andy Williams. But this is no dewy-eyed nostalgia.  As the song says, "When you burn, now I'm free." 

And indeed, so are we. May Deerhoof be the apple o' your open ear. 

Nels Cline
April 14, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

I know its not really SS's style, but I heard they're going to have a major headliner that isn't Wilco one night. I guess Wilco usually plays 2 nights? I've never been to SS so I don't know much about it, but I thought it was usually obvious that Wilco was the biggest band on the bill significantly. If thats true, this year will be different.

I know its not really SS's style, but I heard they're going to have a major headliner that isn't Wilco one night. I guess Wilco usually plays 2 nights? I've never been to SS so I don't know much about it, but I thought it was usually obvious that Wilco was the biggest band on the bill significantly. If thats true, this year will be different.

Not happy to read this news.  But not unprecedented.  At the first Solid Sound, Wilco did not play Friday night (there was no major headliner).  Wilco played only Saturday night, and Tweedy did a solo acoustic set to close it out on Sunday afternoon.  I don't care who they bring in, I would prefer to see two full Wilco sets Friday and Saturday night.  But I'm going Either Way.

Not happy to read this news.  But not unprecedented.  At the first Solid Sound, Wilco did not play Friday night (there was no major headliner).  Wilco played only Saturday night, and Tweedy did a solo acoustic set to close it out on Sunday afternoon.  I don't care who they bring in, I would prefer to see two full Wilco sets Friday and Saturday night.  But I'm going Either Way.

Honestly, I have no clue how the schedule will look. I just heard that they are going to have a major headliner. The scheduling was just my prediction. If they do have the headliner I've heard, I would think it would be Wilco two nights and the other on their off night. And Tweedy (the band) and/or Tweedy accoustic set would not close out whatever night they play. 

Personally I'm really excited about the rumors if they're true. I just assumed another headliner would mean 2 nights of Wilco and 1 night of my other favorite band. We shall see, I guess.

I have heard nothing about SS other than great things, and the only qualm I would have with another major act is that it could lead to overcrowded-ness throughout the years.

Not happy to read this news. But not unprecedented. At the first Solid Sound, Wilco did not play Friday night (there was no major headliner). Wilco played only Saturday night, and Tweedy did a solo acoustic set to close it out on Sunday afternoon. I don't care who they bring in, I would prefer to see two full Wilco sets Friday and Saturday night. But I'm going Either Way.

Same here. I'll be very disappointed if we don't get two Wilco sets. If they were only playing once I wouldn't even bother with a three day pass, and certainly wouldn't be paying for a four night minimum stay at a hotel.

it's possible if the (unconfirmed) "major act" is happening, the play might be to slot them on Sunday to minimize the quick getaway move and maintain a full 3 day festival??

Either Way, it's probably Abba.

Have fun at the Riv this weekend, gang - should be awesome sauce!

Honestly, I have no clue how the schedule will look. I just heard that they are going to have a major headliner. The scheduling was just my prediction. If they do have the headliner I've heard, I would think it would be Wilco two nights and the other on their off night. And Tweedy (the band) and/or Tweedy accoustic set would not close out whatever night they play. 

Personally I'm really excited about the rumors if they're true. I just assumed another headliner would mean 2 nights of Wilco and 1 night of my other favorite band. We shall see, I guess.

I have heard nothing about SS other than great things, and the only qualm I would have with another major act is that it could lead to overcrowded-ness throughout the years.

So, who's your favorite band, e-wind?

i was thinking that it would be two nights with Wilco and that last day Tweedy (the band). I would think with the recent release they would have to headline one day. Any way they choose who and what to perform is cool with me.  I have not been disappointed before with any of the SS fests. Even the museum art exhibits have improved from fest to fest.

Thought that might be you. :wave

That's a pretty good coincidence. I just went over there today to join and add my name to the roll call, and saw your name. This is AFTER I asked you your favorite band.

Yup that's me. Maybe I'll meet you at OBH or SS. I'm not 100% on OBH but trying to get a last minute room. I went last year, it's an amazing time. That rumor comes from a pal of mine who hasn't yet lied to me about these kinds of things.

Oh my.  I think I'm on to you.  That would be something! :guitar