Solid Sound - 2015 - June 26-28

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second the wish for the Lemonheads as locals - the current lineup is probably the best it's been in years - and would also add the newly reformed Juliana Hatfield Three to the list.

One thing I thoroughly enjoyed at the last SS was the "The Love Song of R. Buckminster Fuller" film/performance with Yo La Tengo.  I hope they continue to program a film entry into the lineup this year ("Revenge of the Mekons" documentary would make a great performance/film combo.)

I second the wish for the Lemonheads as locals - the current lineup is probably the best it's been in years - and would also add the newly reformed Juliana Hatfield Three to the list.

One thing I thoroughly enjoyed at the last SS was the "The Love Song of R. Buckminster Fuller" film/performance with Yo La Tengo.  I hope they continue to program a film entry into the lineup this year ("Revenge of the Mekons" documentary would make a great performance/film combo.)

and book the Mekons while they're at it. haven't seen them in decades.

and book the Mekons while they're at it. haven't seen them in decades.

The Mekons would be incredible!!! Great idea!!! They play very infrequently as a full band anymore...but any of the band members/their projects would be great!!!

The Mekons would be as great a choice as I can think of...right up there with Richard Thompson, Television, etc.... and Yo La Tengo from 2013!!

I agree 100% that any version or assemblage of Mekons members would be a great addition. They've been one of my favorites since seeing them in the late eighties and I've never seen them do a bad show. They have several very accomplished visual artists in their ranks as well - bet they could put together a great short term exhibit in some small area of MassMoCA.

I agree 100% that any version or assemblage of Mekons members would be a great addition. They've been one of my favorites since seeing them in the late eighties and I've never seen them do a bad show. They have several very accomplished visual artists in their ranks as well - bet they could put together a great short term exhibit in some small area of MassMoCA.

Wow, great call on that aspect as well. I recall they did a similar thing with an art installation that also involved a book & CD, all entitled "Mekons United" back in 1996. Great idea!!! Viva Mekons!!!

Anybody care to explain SSF to me?  I have the all cover show Wilco did a few years ago and I love it.

What other bands have played or are playing? The website doesn't seem to list any. Does Wilco play every night? Any Tweedy solo stuff?

Anybody care to explain SSF to me?  I have the all cover show Wilco did a few years ago and I love it.

What other bands have played or are playing? The website doesn't seem to list any. Does Wilco play every night? Any Tweedy solo stuff?

Here's something someone from Via Chicago put together after the first Solid Sound.It captures the feeling of the festival as well as anything I've ever seen. https://www.flickr.com/photos/crackedandhooked/collections/72157624638304347/

The fest has gotten a little more crowded since that first year, but the vibe is still very much like this.

Here's something someone from Via Chicago put together after the first Solid Sound.It captures the feeling of the festival as well as anything I've ever seen. https://www.flickr.com/photos/crackedandhooked/collections/72157624638304347/

The fest has gotten a little more crowded since that first year, but the vibe is still very much like this.

This was so much fun to look through. I'm feeling so nostalgic. 

i forgot about making the front page

4902371997_7861bfc9bc_z.jpgExtra! Extra! by cracked & hooked, on Flickr

basically think of it as Wilco creating their own weekend community. they get to invite whoever they want to play, a lot of the Wilco side projects are on the bill (though still waiting for Loose Fur), and they get full reign of decisions like what food and beer to have on offer, what side attractions are set up (including impromptu 'secret' performances scattered within the museum's grounds; definitely get on the SSF twitter feed if you want to be in the loop), and like-minded people of all ages come to enjoy it. there's been on-site poster screening, a dunk tank, interactive music installations from Nels and Glenn, a total kickass record store courtesy of Euclid (my friend and i dropped over $500 last time....they had an insanely good selection of hard to find records), and more. there's always more.

there's been 3 so far...for the first one, Wilco played Sat night and Tweedy did a solo show to close it out (and invited a bunch of musicians from the festival to play w/ him towards the end). 2nd incarnation had Wilco playing Fri and Sat, and you know about the third.

i'd say that there's enough prior history to pretty much bank on at least two performances, whether it's two Wilco sets, or one Wilco set and then either a Tweedy set (band) or Tweedy set (solo). as many have said, the festival's popularity has grown, with the 3rd edition having a lot more people. still, it's very chill and i've never seen any sort of conflict. 

i've covered all of the festivals so far, so if you wanna kill some time looking and/or reading, feel free:

photos:

http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/?q=Solid%20Sound

http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/concerts2010 (look about halfway down for the galleries from 2010)

reviews:

2013 part 1

2013 part 2

Here is the short answer...if you like Wilco, this is probably your Mecca.

Slightly longer answer.

Great Music,

Great Art,

Great Crowd,

Great Beer,

Great Food,

Great Location,

Great Everything.

Great Beer

I wasn't impressed with the Magic Hat offerings the first year, but there wasn't much to complain about last year. 

I'll probably schedule another trip to Vermont to pick up some Heady Topper, Lawson's Finest Liquids and Hill Farmstead offerings. :beer

Last year they had Laganiitius And Smutty nose.

Drinking a Wilco tango foxtrot while watching the band was pretty awesome. I also drank a shit load of Little Sumpin sumpin

Heady Topper and hill Farmstead would definitly bring it up another notch.

Point was , it was great craft beer, and at reasonable prices $5 a pour.

My local amphitheater sells craft beer for $12

Heady Topper and hill Farmstead would definitly bring it up another notch.

Point was , it was great craft beer, and at reasonable prices $5 a pour.

Have they ever done a brewing demonstration at Solid Sound? I know they've done things like poster making before, so it seems like a demonstration by a brewery and/or a local homebrew club would be a cool addition to the festival. And imagine fresh cans of Heady Topper for, say, $7.

So now that I am seeing Wilco in May, it is very unlikely that I will be seeing them for Solid Sound.

I still have a room booked in the town of Adams (about 10 mins away), at an organic spa called the topia inn.Before I call and cancel, wanted to put it out there...

I think the room rate is 265 a night. ..its the aloha room with a floating bed.

Have they ever done a brewing demonstration at Solid Sound? I know they've done things like poster making before, so it seems like a demonstration by a brewery and/or a local homebrew club would be a cool addition to the festival. And imagine fresh cans of Heady Topper for, say, $7.

HT doesn't make it to southern VT, I have a hard time imagining Alchemist selling it at SSF! Bring that Lawson's & HF though & maybe we can have a little bottle share. :)

HT doesn't make it to southern VT, I have a hard time imagining Alchemist selling it at SSF! Bring that Lawson's & HF though & maybe we can have a little bottle share. :)

I made the drive up to Middlebury before the first day of last year's festival. I arrived at opening time, grabbed a couple of cases and bolted back to North Adams. It was one of the last weeks that the brewery sold unlimited cases of beer and not long after that they stopped selling them at all. 

I'm going to research my options, make a road trip and then come back with as much as I can fly home with. And consume post-festival nights.

Here is a explanation with a slide show i did from SSF #1 with my audio recording from Saturday's set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbQh7t8UEwc

I enjoy a Heady Topper.  ONE Heady Topper.  Anything more is asking for it-learn from my experience.  I would like to see them offer a lower alcohol, all day drinking kind of beer.  Maybe a regional favorite; Utica Club, Narragansett....

But Mmmm.  Lawsons and Hill Farmstead.  Good stuff.