Solid Sound - 2015 - June 26-28

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see them offer a lower alcohol, all day drinking kind of beer.

Finally! An ally in the quest for, as you so aptly put it, an "all day drinking kind of beer." Is (around) 4% alcohol too much to ask? We need a beer for the long haul!

I know it's anathema to the craft beer fans, but year one they had Bud and Bud Light. I'm not ashamed to say that works just fine for me!

Finally! An ally in the quest for, as you so aptly put it, an "all day drinking kind of beer." Is (around) 4% alcohol too much to ask? 

Session beers, as they're called, are quite popular these days and many of the craft brewers are making hoppy, flavorful IPA-ish beers in the 4-4.7% range. Founders has begun selling 15-packs of cans of their All Day IPA (4.7%) here in Texas for about $17. Stone has Go-To IPA, Lagunitas has DayTime and Firestone Walker has my favorite, Easy Jack.

There's a trend toward lower alcohol beers that still have some flavor, so that IPA lovers can drink a few without falling over. The trend has also helped popularize American pale ales (I brew one that's really tasty) and English-style beers. As far as I'm concerned, everyone wins.

As I type this I'm drinking a 9.4% DIPA that I brought back from a recent trip to California. It's rather nasty.

But Mmmm.  Lawsons and Hill Farmstead.  Good stuff.

I was in Los Angeles a month or two ago and a festival brought some fantastic beers to town. I waited in line for 2 hours on a Friday afternoon to partake of several Hill Farmstead and Belgian beers. It was well worth the sunburn.

Same issue with the concerts at Ommegang.  The beer is so tasty, and goes down great, but is high test.  Another great one in New England that is not well known is Ghandi Bot.

I'm going to throw out another plug for Utica Club.  The first beer sold after prohibition was abolished.  Cheap, cold, great flavor.  Made by the West End Brewery, who went on to make Saranac products.  But they still make UC, although it's hardly distributed beyond upstate NY.  It may even be hard to find  in Albany.  But nothing tastes better on a hot day.  Actually it's great after skiing too.  Very upstate.

Same issue with the concerts at Ommegang.  The beer is so tasty, and goes down great, but is high test.  Another great one in New England that is not well known is Ghandi Bot.

I'm going to throw out another plug for Utica Club.  The first beer sold after prohibition was abolished.  Cheap, cold, great flavor.  Made by the West End Brewery, who went on to make Saranac products.  But they still make UC, although it's hardly distributed beyond upstate NY.  It may even be hard to find  in Albany.  But nothing tastes better on a hot day.  Actually it's great after skiing too.  Very upstate.

Do you remember Matt's splits?  Used to buy 8 packs, I think, of Matts splits in high school, good stuff.  Wasn't a split an 8oz clear bottle?  That was a long time ago and a lot of beer under the bridge since then...

More Alcholol Content = Less Beer you need for a buzz = less money you spend on beer. = less calories you consume from drinking multiple beers.

Sorry, I'd rather have a nice 6 or 7% IPA for $6 bucks then two crappy 4% Buid lights for $8.

Also, there are plenty of session IPAs on the market now (as someone else posted), but I don't personally care for any of them. Believe it or not they give me more of a headache then the regular beers do.

my favorite low ABV beers are Berliners and Gose. Now those beers I could drink all day on a sunny day.

Do you remember Matt's splits?  Used to buy 8 packs, I think, of Matts splits in high school, good stuff.  Wasn't a split an 8oz clear bottle?  That was a long time ago and a lot of beer under the bridge since then...

Matt's splits?  Did you go to high school with me?

More Alcholol Content = Less Beer you need for a buzz = less money you spend on beer. = less calories you consume from drinking multiple beers.

Not to split hairs, but it's not that way for me. For one, females metabolize alcohol differently than males do. And the buzz I get off a 7% beer doesn't compare to the buzz off two regularish 4% beers. Plus the higher alcohol brews are headache makers for me.

First world problems, to be sure! Hopefully we'll all have tasty choices at the next Solid Sound. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I'd rather have a nice 6 or 7% IPA for $6 bucks then two crappy 4% Buid lights for $8.

Also, there are plenty of session IPAs on the market now (as someone else posted), but I don't personally care for any of them. Believe it or not they give me more of a headache then the regular beers do.

my favorite low ABV beers are Berliners and Gose. Now those beers I could drink all day on a sunny day.

Founders makes a superlative session IPA: All Day IPA, 4.7%.  Someone mentioned Gandhi Bot Double IPA, a full, rich ale produced right here in New Haven CT; at 8.8% ABV a couple of these will do you right. 

On the low end of beer drinking, I've got fond memories of the Utica Club mentioned by another person here.  When I was in high school all those many years ago, a handful of us would chip in and get a UC beer ball for $14, if I remember correctly.  Don't recall what the volume was, but it was enough to get 4-5 16 year-olds where they wanted to be. 

All this beer talk makes me want to go liberate one of those Sierra Nevada Celebration Ales lurking in the back room....

Happy New Years Wilco fans - here's to good music, good beer, good people!

I'm going to throw out another plug for Utica Club. The first beer sold after prohibition was abolished. Cheap, cold, great flavor. Made by the West End Brewery, who went on to make Saranac products. But they still make UC, although it's hardly distributed beyond upstate NY. It may even be hard to find in Albany. But nothing tastes better on a hot day. Actually it's great after skiing too. Very upstate.

My folks are from Rochester and they're always talking about drinking Genesee Cream Ale back in the day. When it was finally distributed in the west, I was surprised and relieved that the 'cream' doesn't mean anything.

My folks are from Rochester and they're always talking about drinking Genesee Cream Ale back in the day. When it was finally distributed in the west, I was surprised and relieved that the 'cream' doesn't mean anything.

Genny Cream was my dad's beer of choice when I was little.  Whenever I have one, it makes me think of my dad's breath in 1974.  It sounds unpleasant, but it's actually a pretty positive aroma memory.

Genny Cream was my dad's beer of choice when I was little.  Whenever I have one, it makes me think of my dad's breath in 1974.  It sounds unpleasant, but it's actually a pretty positive aroma memory.

that is awesome and something I can absolutely relate to- although i grew up in a PBR house!

I saw something on Mass MoCA's Facebook page a couple of days ago that seemed to indicate John Hodgkin will be back for Solid Sound this year. Something like "see you in June." Sorry I can't be more specific--I forget how it came up in my FB feed.

I hope it's true--he's a great fit with Solid Sound.

I saw something on Mass MoCA's Facebook page a couple of days ago that seemed to indicate John Hodgkin will be back for Solid Sound this year. Something like "see you in June." Sorry I can't be more specific--I forget how it came up in my FB feed.

I hope it's true--he's a great fit with Solid Sound.

I saw that, too. It was a repost of a picture of John Hodgman by the Solid Sound Festival facebook page with the line, "See you in June, sir." Other than Wilco, he is the first confirmed performer for SS 2015, I believe. Or at least he'll be there.

I saw that, too. It was a repost of a picture of John Hodgman by the Solid Sound Festival facebook page with the line, "See you in June, sir." Other than Wilco, he is the first confirmed performer for SS 2015, I believe. Or at least he'll be there.

I'm willing to bet we can add Richard Thompson to the list.