Solid Sound - 2015 - June 26-28

If MMJ do end up being on the bill, I hope for the crowd's sake that they have a different sound man. They were excruciatingly loud at AmericanaramA. They had this one speaker at stage level that looked to be an entirely metallic cabinet, and that thing was just downright evil. I had to wear earplugs the whole time they played.

That was my experience at the Atlanta show. Loud mud. I wouldn't mind seeing them again under more listenable circumstances.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also,  I would call the hotels in Williamstown directly.  You don't know if there are cancellations or waiting lists.  There always seems to be people looking to swap lodging or posting that they are going to cancel as we get closer.  Also, craigslist may have apartments for rent that weekend.  You may have to get creative.  Contact airbnb listings and ask if they know anyone who might rent out their house or apartment?

I am sending emails to hotels to ask about availability and waiting list. I thought to contact the airbnb hosts and ask this but to talk to them you need to request to book and send dates you wish to stay. I can't just send a message, as in Facebook so I thought it might annoy them or be rude (it would be something normal here in Brazil but I am afraid of being unethical or something like that.)
Do you think they could be angry and perhaps even report me or is this totally ok?

I saw MMJ open for Wilco in Boston some 10 years ago. They were loud. They rocked. It was all ok. I like their early records, their later ones are ok. I can take them or leave them. If they play SS 2015, a Sunday closing set add some energy to the last day, which was lacking at SS3 (though I did enjoy Os Mutantes). The crowd on Sunday was thin. Heck, even SS2 had a sparser crowd for Sunday with the Levon Helm Band as the closer. MMJ on Friday or Saturday - no thanks. On Sunday - great.

it's pretty surprising to see the anti-MMJ sentiment,

Why is it surprising? Wilco has collaborated with Bob Weir and covered a fair number of Dead tunes like Friend of the Devil, Dark Star and Bird Song, yet I have seen plenty of anti-Dead sentiment on this board, too. Just because Wilco has been in somewhat close proximity with another artist, that shouldn't guarantee that everyone who loves Wilco loves that artist...should it?

I just had a completely random thought, based on nothing but pure speculation. Jeff and Susie are good friends with Fred Armisen, Fred works closely with Carrie Brownstein, and Sleater Kinney is just about to come out with their first album in 10 years. I think you can see where I'm going with this. Now that would be a perfect fit for Solid Sound!

I am sending emails to hotels to ask about availability and waiting list. I thought to contact the airbnb hosts and ask this but to talk to them you need to request to book and send dates you wish to stay. I can't just send a message, as in Facebook so I thought it might annoy them or be rude (it would be something normal here in Brazil but I am afraid of being unethical or something like that.)

Do you think they could be angry and perhaps even report me or is this totally ok?

That's a great point. I don't know. I think if I were an owner in a town that isn't a huge tourist destination and had friends who were thinking about renting out their place for a huge event, it wouldn't bother me if someone asked. But I can't speak for everyone. Maybe explain that you are coming from so far would help? I don't think it would be a reason to report or get a bad vote.

Another thing I've done for another festival is to contact local real estate agencies. They may have clients who would be willing to rent for a weekend. That is how I rented a house at Mountain Jam last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another thing I've done for another festival is to contact local real estate agencies. They may have clients who would be willing to rent for a weekend. That is how I rented a house at Mountain Jam last year.

Good idea! I'll try this! Thank you :)

Why is it surprising? Wilco has collaborated with Bob Weir and covered a fair number of Dead tunes like Friend of the Devil, Dark Star and Bird Song, yet I have seen plenty of anti-Dead sentiment on this board, too. Just because Wilco has been in somewhat close proximity with another artist, that shouldn't guarantee that everyone who loves Wilco loves that artist...should it?

certainly no guarantee. but in my limited data set of friends, it's a very strong Venn Diagram between liking MMJ and Wilco.

and don't get me started on anti-Dead sentiment...i've got work to do today you know.

certainly no guarantee. but in my limited data set of friends, it's a very strong Venn Diagram between liking MMJ and Wilco.

and don't get me started on anti-Dead sentiment...i've got work to do today you know.

Interesting.

I didn't think they were bad...I'm just not interested enough to see them for a third time.

I am always surprised to hear all the MMJ hate in the wilco community. Maybe its just because they're the two most important bands in my world. Different strokes, I guess... 

I know that MMJ is a lot louder. At one of the AmericanA shows I went to, Jeff actually made a joke about how Wilco would never be as loud as MMJ.  That being said, MMJ is the best live act I've ever seen ( and I've now seen them over 50 times). MMJ is what basically started it all for me in the world of today's rock and roll, and if it wasn't for them I probably never would've found Wilco. *If* the rumor is true, I urge everyone to give them a chance. 

Another thing to know is that JJ is very aware of the situation of every show. They headlined Newport FF a couple of years ago and this was their setlist:

1. Welcome Home

2. Golden

3. The Way That He Sings

4. It Beats 4 U

5. Wonderful

6. Bermuda Highway (w/ Will Johnson)

7. Victory Dance

8. Dondante 

9. It Makes No Difference (w/ Brittney Howard from AL Shakes)

10. Smoking From Shootin (w/ Ben Sollee and Conor Oberst)

11. Movin Away

12. I'm Amazed

To break that down to everyone, its pretty much the Wilco fan's dream MMJ set. A cover of The Band, and mostly all acoustic based/mid-tempo rock songs. Dondante and I'm Amazed being the major exceptions. Plus appearances by folk/americana artists. That is not like their average show, and I would believe that it's for the reason of them playing at NFF. 

Typing all that out makes me really believe that the Wilco/MMJ crossover is pretty significant. I know I'm not a spokes person for that band, and I know that not everyone needs to like them, but....

My Morning Jacket "Dancefloors" and Wilco "Monday" ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gXzAXIensA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B24la7sQsCw

"Dondante" and "At Least Thats What You Said"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHnwDuzR1wg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psKZgp_ec9s

"Welcome Home" vs "Far Far Away"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MArAOrEtkQs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYxn7ZG7dPQ

At the end of the day, Tweedy is my favorite song writer, but Jim James and co are a hell of a rock and roll band, and the best live band around these days...

It is kind of weird to me how many people who love MMJ seem bent on "converting" others. I guess that, as a Deadhead, I do a lot of that myself. :lol

However, there is a huge difference between "hate" and indifference or being underwhelmed. I could list a whole slew of reasons I was not sold on them after seeing them live twice at AmericanaramA, but what would be the point? If they play at SS, it's fine. My wife and I will undoubtedly find something else to do in Mass during that portion of the weekend. Not a problem at all. I would just rather see someone else. Even if it's someone I've never checked out before (like Sleater-Kinney), that would be of more interest to me.

Now, the Black-Eyed Peas? Hate 'em.

It is kind of weird to me how many people who love MMJ seem bent on "converting" others. I guess that, as a Deadhead, I do a lot of that myself. :lol

However, there is a huge difference between "hate" and indifference or being underwhelmed. I could list a whole slew of reasons I was not sold on them after seeing them live twice at AmericanaramA, but what would be the point? If they play at SS, it's fine. My wife and I will undoubtedly find something else to do in Mass during that portion of the weekend. Not a problem at all. I would just rather see someone else. Even if it's someone I've never checked out before (like Sleater-Kinney), that would be of more interest to me.

i wasn't proselytizing, merely trying to make sense of the dichotomy.

wrt the bolded section, i know MMJ sets can be long, but at a festival like this they'll probably have 90 minutes, so it's not a lot of time to find something else to do outside the festival. 

i wasn't proselytizing, merely trying to make sense of the dichotomy.

wrt the bolded section, i know MMJ sets can be long, but at a festival like this they'll probably have 90 minutes, so it's not a lot of time to find something else to do outside the festival. 

I didn't mean you, necessarily. That was more a general comment based on my experience.

MA is pretty small. Unless MMJ plays a set right before Wilco, like at AmericanaramA, we're outta there. :lol

Just to clarify, since I was one of the first to express discontent with MMJ at SS and I don't want to be lumped into the MMJ haters, I really like the band and respect that lots of folks whose musical tastes I share think they're a phenomenal live band (the 1x I saw them I thought they were good, but not to that level).  I just don't see them fitting in at SS, probably for the reason that they're too much of a headliner in their own right and for me Wilco should be the only "headliner" at SS.  So there you have it, not a MMJ hater, would see them whenever I could, just not at SS.

Just to clarify, since I was one of the first to express discontent with MMJ at SS and I don't want to be lumped into the MMJ haters, I really like the band and respect that lots of folks whose musical tastes I share think they're a phenomenal live band (the 1x I saw them I thought they were good, but not to that level).  I just don't see them fitting in at SS, probably for the reason that they're too much of a headliner in their own right and for me Wilco should be the only "headliner" at SS.  So there you have it, not a MMJ hater, would see them whenever I could, just not at SS.

all of this I agree with. It's the reason why I'm very skeptical about the rumor.

Also, I don't want anyone on the line up that draws non-wilco fans to the fest. I mean, I'd be THRILLED to see them on the bill, but its certainly not why I'm going. 

to say again, I don't care who does/doesn't like MMJ. I don't think everyone needs to like them. I just get so damn excited about them when I talk about them that I get carried away. Especially since they're coming out of a very, very quiet year. I can't wait for them to re-emerge.

I don't want to get too carried away and start a long thread about why anyone should convert, but in my case personally, I fell in love with MMJ and Wilco in a very similar way. They both had songs that I liked enough, but I never really "got it". Then after enough forced listens, something just clicked. Then I saw them both live, and thats what really sold me. Honestly, thats the arch of most of my most loved bands. Anything I immediately find catchy usually fades pretty quickly. 

I thought they were all right when I first saw them. They had some pretty good songs, and some not so good songs. The energy was high. They were really, really loud. They rocked.

I tried listening to some of their official recorded output, and could not get into it at all.

At this point, my enjoyment of this thread is much greater than my enjoyment of their live set. That's not a slam: I am really, really enjoying the direction this thread has taken.

Saw MMJ with Wilco at Americanarama in Saratoga summer of 2013, and loved it - that being said, I feel like that would be a bit of "been there, done that" if they were to play this year's Solid Sound. As some have also mentioned, when I saw Sleater-Kinney's tour dates, made me think they would be perfect for SS - definitely on my dream ticket!

I am always surprised to hear all the MMJ hate in the wilco community. Maybe its just because they're the two most important bands in my world. Different strokes, I guess...

I know that MMJ is a lot louder. At one of the AmericanA shows I went to, Jeff actually made a joke about how Wilco would never be as loud as MMJ. That being said, MMJ is the best live act I've ever seen ( and I've now seen them over 50 times). MMJ is what basically started it all for me in the world of today's rock and roll, and if it wasn't for them I probably never would've found Wilco. *If* the rumor is true, I urge everyone to give them a chance.

Another thing to know is that JJ is very aware of the situation of every show. They headlined Newport FF a couple of years ago and this was their setlist:

1. Welcome Home

2. Golden

3. The Way That He Sings

4. It Beats 4 U

5. Wonderful

6. Bermuda Highway (w/ Will Johnson)

7. Victory Dance

8. Dondante

9. It Makes No Difference (w/ Brittney Howard from AL Shakes)

10. Smoking From Shootin (w/ Ben Sollee and Conor Oberst)

11. Movin Away

12. I'm Amazed

To break that down to everyone, its pretty much the Wilco fan's dream MMJ set. A cover of The Band, and mostly all acoustic based/mid-tempo rock songs. Dondante and I'm Amazed being the major exceptions. Plus appearances by folk/americana artists. That is not like their average show, and I would believe that it's for the reason of them playing at NFF.

Typing all that out makes me really believe that the Wilco/MMJ crossover is pretty significant. I know I'm not a spokes person for that band, and I know that not everyone needs to like them, but....

My Morning Jacket "Dancefloors" and Wilco "Monday" ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gXzAXIensA

"Dondante" and "At Least Thats What You Said"

"Welcome Home" vs "Far Far Away"

At the end of the day, Tweedy is my favorite song writer, but Jim James and co are a hell of a rock and roll band, and the best live band around these days...

Hardly my dream MMJ set, but I too am surprised at the lack of love for the band. I was into them long before I got into Wilco and really love their first four records, five if you count the Okonokos double live record, which slays. It Still Moves is one hell of a record, probably my favorite studio album of theirs. Highly recommend it.

Wilco has since surpassed MMJ in my favorite bands list, and I've yet to see an MMJ concert, but like tinnitus, in my circle of friends/music lovers, there's a great deal of crossover between the two. I didn't get a chance to hit an Americanarama show, but personally, if I had an opportunity to see Wilco and MMJ the same weekend, I'd be ecstatic. But that's just me.

I thought they were all right when I first saw them. They had some pretty good songs, and some not so good songs. The energy was high. They were really, really loud. They rocked.

I tried listening to some of their official recorded output, and could not get into it at all.

At this point, my enjoyment of this thread is much greater than my enjoyment of their live set. That's not a slam: I am really, really enjoying the direction this thread has taken.

Can't wait until the rumor proves wrong and I steered this thread in this direction for nothing.