Solid Sound - 2015 - June 26-28

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

conversation with my wife at breakfast this morning...

me: Hey honey, the Wilco's are going to be in Louisville in May, and tickets are going on sale today.  Do you want to go with me?

Mrs: I thought you were going to see them up at that museum thing this summer?

me: Well, yeah.  

Mrs: So you're going to both of them?

me: Umm, yeah.  And there's also one in Cincy that same week in May. 
Mrs: I thought you said you were going to the one in Louisville?

me: I'm pretty sure I'll go to both of the ones here too, plus the museum thingie. 

Mrs: Oh, OK.  I'd rather go to the Louisville one.  I like the Iroquois.  So you're going to all three?

me: See, it's kinda like this breakfast here... I'll have this breakfast today, and then I'll have another breakfast tomorrow. 

Mrs: Uh-huh. 

conversation with my wife at breakfast this morning...

me: Hey honey, the Wilco's are going to be in Louisville in May, and tickets are going on sale today.  Do you want to go with me?

Mrs: I thought you were going to see them up at that museum thing this summer?

me: Well, yeah.  

Mrs: So you're going to both of them?

me: Umm, yeah.  And there's also one in Cincy that same week in May. 

Mrs: I thought you said you were going to the one in Louisville?

me: I'm pretty sure I'll go to both of the ones here too, plus the museum thingie. 

Mrs: Oh, OK.  I'd rather go to the Louisville one.  I like the Iroquois.  So you're going to all three?

me: See, it's kinda like this breakfast here... I'll have this breakfast today, and then I'll have another breakfast tomorrow. 

Mrs: Uh-huh. 

:lol

This reminds me a lot of the conversation I had with my wife about going to all three Florida shows, which were announced right after I had bought us tickets for Solid Sound. The look on her face was priceless...not sure if I would call it tragicomic or cometragic...?

do you guys bring your wives with you to these shows? or do you go solo?

We have a five year old, and a income budget to consider when deciding to go to shows. I'd never want to go to a show alone though. I'd rather go to one show with my wife then 5 shows by myself. It helps that she loves wilco just as much as I do too.

I'd rather go to one show with my wife then 5 shows by myself. It helps that she loves wilco just as much as I do too.

I'm taking my wife to her first Wilco show in Tallahassee. Hope she likes 'em, because we are already booked for Solid Sound!

She's not going to the other two FL Wilco shows, because of her work schedule, but I may have a buddy coming with me to one of them...

We have a five year old, and a income budget to consider when deciding to go to shows. I'd never want to go to a show alone though. I'd rather go to one show with my wife then 5 shows by myself. It helps that she loves wilco just as much as I do too.

I consider myself incredibly fortunate that my wife likes Wilco almost as much as I do. Enough that she always goes to SS, and never tells me to turn it off or down when I'm playing Wilco at home or in car.  At last SS, there was a family bar mitzvah in CT (extended family) that Saturday morning.  I went to SS (couldn't miss that Friday all request show) and then my wife drove up from CT Saturday afternoon.  This is not the case with a lot of other bands I listen to and see.  So I do go to some shows by myself.  I'd rather go and catch a show than not go because my wife doesn't want to go and no friends want to go.  Plus, once the music starts I don't talk anyway.

i went to the last one w/ my wife, the first two w/ two different friends.

it's a LONG day for a 5 y/o, imo.

EDIT - sorry, when you said 'these shows' i thought you were referring to the topic subject, SSF.

yeah I remember last solid sound seeing all the parents with screaming kids, they looked miserable. Especially when the downstairs bathroom flooded, and bathrooms became scarce. I'd never want to bring my 5 year old, that's for sure

The problem with young kids is that they would be exhausted by the time Wilco comes on.  If you have to bring them, and are staying locally, I would recommend having them with you during the day, then take them to the hotel with a local babysitter so you can be back for the main event.  I know some people who live nearby with teenage daughters who could provide some contacts, PM me if anyone is interested in that option.

For what it's worth we brought our young daughter last time and plan to do it again.  Perhaps it's because we have The World's Greatest Child Evah!* but she has never been a problem at a variety of small, local-ish music festivals.  At Solid Sound, we make sure she takes a nap before we arrive - meaning we don't get there until 1:30 or 2:00.  We make sure to visit the kid-friendly areas often, and if there's band I really want to see, my wife covers child duties (or vice-versa).

Last time around we got lawn seating in the far back, on the hill, for both Wilco sets.  If I recall correctly, there's a small playground up there? Either way, it was packed with families back there.  All the kids played for awhile but our daughter was out like a light by the first cords of the Wilco set. She slept through the whole set.  Woke up to do it all over again the next day.  I honestly feel like it's a great event for young kids, though I wonder in reading this if people would prefer kids stayed away?

At any rate, that was our experience. I'll only add this: If your kid comes, please make sure to bring earplugs or headphones.  My ears love the noise of Via Chicago, but her ears don't need that kinda noise yet.

I just want to make it clear I am no way against having kids at SS.  I have kids, and if they were into it, I would bring them.  It's cheaper, and more fun for my husband and I to have a weekend away doing something we love together.  

I will say, last year strollers inside were a big issue.

i'd rather deal with strollers inside than lawn chairs and blankets holding down spaces in front at the field stage.

Well, of course.  That goes without saying.

I also want to clarify.  I have zero problems with kids being there.  We have more fun (and my kids have more fun) with them at their grandparent's.  There's room for all kinds of people in this world.  I was just presenting an idea for a local babysitter at night, in case someone wanted to consider the option.

I am assuming that the Tweedy>Jeff Solo>Jeff & Friends will be like the shows he has been doing, with some special guests at the end...but whatever the case, this sounds exciting. I am looking forward to finally, finally seeing Jeff play outside Wilco for the first time since I started listening to his songs in 1999.

I am assuming that the Tweedy>Jeff Solo>Jeff & Friends will be like the shows he has been doing, with some special guests at the end...but whatever the case, this sounds exciting. I am looking forward to finally, finally seeing Jeff play outside Wilco for the first time since I started listening to his songs in 1999.

I read this as three different sets. Am I the only one? 

I read this as three different sets. Am I the only one? 

I don't think so. I think it'll be Wilco on Fri. & Sat. night & then the closing act on Sunday will go... A set of Tweedy, then Jeff solo acoustic & then the finale will be the Tweedy Band coming on to host a run of special guests. Looks like I'll be there until late on Sunday!!! This is exactly what I was hoping we might get...now if we can also pull off BOTH acoustic & electric sets from Richard Thompson...and the inevitable Thompson & Wilco/Tweedy collaborations that will occur as well- hopefully at every possible turn/opportunity. Really hoping that we get Nels Cline & Julian Lage again as well!!!