Solid Sound - 2015 - June 26-28

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another possible act that would have been nice was Mac from Superchunk who has his first solo album coming out. But again anything on top of 2 nights of Wilco and a Tweedy performance was icing on an already awesome cake.

That would be so great. I love all things Mac. But I love all things Wilco, too, and that's what SSF is all about!

i know i post a lot of metal but it's hardly all i listen to (note - this doesn't reflect any listening via my home stereo, just PC habits)!

http://www.last.fm/user/narlus/library

Thanks for following along. It's not like you get a notification for being mentioned in a post, like on Facebook. :lol

I just meant I like a lot of dinosaur acts and you like a lot of punk and metal...I figured just about our only commonality musically was Wilco. Forgot you liked Drive By Truckers. And, believe it or not, I would actually be interested in seeing Purling Hiss again. As for Swans - man, I have to be in a certain mindset for that - kinda like some of the old Royal Trux stuff. But I have gotten through The Seer exactly once. Intense stuff.

I'm not familiar with most of the bands that will be playing.  I made up a Rhapsody setlist with a few from songs from each and i've been listening to it as background music in my office.  So far, I've been pleasantly surprised.  I hope I'll come to love some of them by June.

Thanks for following along. It's not like you get a notification for being mentioned in a post, like on Facebook. :lol

I just meant I like a lot of dinosaur acts and you like a lot of punk and metal...I figured just about our only commonality musically was Wilco. Forgot you liked Drive By Truckers. And, believe it or not, I would actually be interested in seeing Purling Hiss again. As for Swans - man, I have to be in a certain mindset for that - kinda like some of the old Royal Trux stuff. But I have gotten through The Seer exactly once. Intense stuff.

based on your avatar i'm sure we have Coltrane admiration in common as well.

just for giggles, on another board someone posted a thread about your personal top 20 records of all time, w/o over-thinking it.

there are probably some records you've got in your collection here:

Neil Young - On The Beach

Mogwai - Come On Die Young

Sonic Youth - EVOL

Verlaines - Hallelujah All The Way Home

Guided By Voices - Alien Lanes

Melvins - Houdini

Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality

The Who - Quadrophenia

The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

The Chameleons - Script Of The Bridge

Blue Öyster Cult - On Your Feet Or On Your Knees

Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic

Pink Floyd - Meddle

The Jesus Lizard - Goat

Come - Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Neko Case - Middle Cyclone

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

Emeralds - Does It Look Like I'm Here

Silver Jews - American Water

based on your avatar i'm sure we have Coltrane admiration in common as well.

just for giggles, on another board someone posted a thread about your personal top 20 records of all time, w/o over-thinking it.

there are probably some records you've got in your collection here:

Neil Young - On The Beach

Mogwai - Come On Die Young

Sonic Youth - EVOL

Verlaines - Hallelujah All The Way Home

Guided By Voices - Alien Lanes

Melvins - Houdini

Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality

The Who - Quadrophenia

The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

The Chameleons - Script Of The Bridge

Blue Öyster Cult - On Your Feet Or On Your Knees

Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic

Pink Floyd - Meddle

The Jesus Lizard - Goat

Come - Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Neko Case - Middle Cyclone

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

Emeralds - Does It Look Like I'm Here

Silver Jews - American Water

You love Meddle?? Okay, you are all right in my book from now on, man. :cheers

I'm not familiar with most of the bands that will be playing.  I made up a Rhapsody setlist with a few from songs from each and i've been listening to it as background music in my office.  So far, I've been pleasantly surprised.  I hope I'll come to love some of them by June.

This is my favorite part of any festival...and it's how I came to love Wilco.  I'd been kinda ho-hum based on limited exposure but doing my homework for Bonnaroo 07, I picked up Kicking Television and was converted by the end of Misunderstood...

Things get started early evening on Friday. I'd want to be there by early afternoon at the latest to get yourself acclimated. Sunday things wrap up usually before it gets really dark. I would definitely recommend staying over Sunday night to rest up and decompress.

• 2 weeks later...

Did I really just receive an email from the Solid Sound folks with the subject line, "Pitch a tent at Solid Sound"?

Maybe they should have had Spencer or some other young person proof that first? Or check urbandictionary.com to see if it means something else? 

:rotfl

Did I really just receive an email from the Solid Sound folks with the subject line, "Pitch a tent at Solid Sound"?

Maybe they should have had Spencer or some other young person proof that first? Or check urbandictionary.com to see if it means something else?

Oh, I think it was fully intentional. And did you note the Sylvia Plath quote? Whoever is writing these things has a wicked sense of humor.

I have to confess, I didn't notice anything unusual about that line, "pitch a tent" is a common camping phrase to me.  I had to go to urbandictionary.com to see what you're talking about :headbonk

It is a very common camping phrase...which is why it's become such a fortunate (or unfortunate, depending on your POV) bit of comic slang.

I did not read the email, since my plans are all made, and don't include camping...so I missed the Plath reference. I guess Sylvia would not have been amused by me saying that I'm planning to pitch a tent at the motel.

Does anyone else think $195 per night for a pre pitched tent, Cots, lawn chairs, A.M. coffee and ice is a bit excessive? I'm paying much less then that for a B&B in Williamstown! WTF? I sure hope the concessions at SS sound are in line; price wise, as the past three.

Does anyone else think $195 per night for a pre pitched tent, Cots, lawn chairs, A.M. coffee and ice is a bit excessive? I'm paying much less then that for a B&B in Williamstown! WTF? I sure hope the concessions at SS sound are in line; price wise, as the past three.

None of the other prices of things so far have seemed out of line, including the price of the festival, so I doubt this is the start of a trend, just a service whose value we are not yet familiar with. I don't think they've offered this service in the past, have they? I do agree it seems like a hell of a lot to pay for a camp set up.

i have never camped, but i do think this is the first time this camping service have been made available. But i also don't remember anyone ever describing the camp area looking as lush and inviting as the SS marketing photo for this camping service. :yeaahh   It does seem like a very nice service for festivals but also very profitable for this company. I wish i would have thought of it first!  :headbonk  http://www.theshowsherpa.com

Starting to study up on the artists I'm less familiar with who are booked for SS and i must say with miles of smiles:

Tig Notaro is the bee's knees.

#cantwait4ss4

Tig Notaro is the bee's knees.

She is indeed.  Care to share any other discoveries?  I'm enjoying Parquet Courts but finding it hard to get excited by Mac Demarco.

"JuJu Music" by King Sunny Ade is a fantastic introduction to the sweet guitar sounds I hope to hear this summer.

#cantwait4ss4

She is indeed.  Care to share any other discoveries?  I'm enjoying Parquet Courts but finding it hard to get excited by Mac Demarco.

Saw Mac DeMarco at the Hideout Block party last summer and was bored silly.  He seems to have a lot of fans though, so maybe someone can speak to what I am missing there.