Solid Sound - 2015 - June 26-28

Play drums with Glenn at Solid Sound

8fea05be-03bc-4bea-9210-b429c96f8a8c.jpg

On Saturday, June 27 at Solid Sound Festival 50 attendees* will have the chance to make a prepared drumhead and then perform with Glenn on Sunday, June 28 in the world-premiere of The Immortal Flux, a new composition (for drumkit and prepared head orchestra) written by Glenn and commissioned by D’Addario for Solid Sound.

The first 25 participants will be preselected randomly through social media. The remaining 25 spots will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis on Saturday June 27.

Participants must be able to attend the workshop on Saturday 6/27 from 1:30-3pm, a Sunday 6/28 rehearsal from 10a-10:30a and the performance on Sunday 6/28 from 2-3p at Solid Sound. Participants should also be able to play basic rhythms, be good at following direction and must be able to distinguish colors.

To enter the contest use the hashtag ‪#DRUMSWITHGLENN‬ on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook. 25 winners will be chosen at random on Thursday, June 18**. Please be sure that your account is public or we will be unable to see your entry.

*No young children please. Participants must be able to distinguish colors and attend all 3 designated activities.
**Entry to the festival is not included

http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=4f7ab8f8f2b72f2726cc72d90&id=9a1b0096c4&e=1c0eb63fc5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Play drums with Glenn at Solid Sound

8fea05be-03bc-4bea-9210-b429c96f8a8c.jpg

On Saturday, June 27 at Solid Sound Festival 50 attendees* will have the chance to make a prepared drumhead and then perform with Glenn on Sunday, June 28 in the world-premiere of The Immortal Flux, a new composition (for drumkit and prepared head orchestra) written by Glenn and commissioned by D’Addario for Solid Sound.

The first 25 participants will be preselected randomly through social media. The remaining 25 spots will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis on Saturday June 27.

Participants must be able to attend the workshop on Saturday 6/27 from 1:30-3pm, a Sunday 6/28 rehearsal from 10a-10:30a and the performance on Sunday 6/28 from 2-3p at Solid Sound. Participants should also be able to play basic rhythms, be good at following direction and must be able to distinguish colors.

To enter the contest use the hashtag ‪#DRUMSWITHGLENN‬ on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook. 25 winners will be chosen at random on Thursday, June 18**. Please be sure that your account is public or we will be unable to see your entry.

*No young children please. Participants must be able to distinguish colors and attend all 3 designated activities.

**Entry to the festival is not included

http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=4f7ab8f8f2b72f2726cc72d90&id=9a1b0096c4&e=1c0eb63fc5

This sounds like a lot of fun but I would be WAY too distractible to follow direction from Glenn!

Wow! According to the schedule, it looks like Wilco is playing from 9:15-12:40 on Friday night. That's probably only an estimated end time. Wilco on Saturday night 9:15-12 and Tweedy is 4:30-7 on Sunday. Terrific! 

2013 Parking & Shuttle info

I'm posting this here to not confuse anyone, but to point out that the abandoned Wal*Mart parking lot off of Route 8 (D on the map) is now an Ocean State Job Lot. I'd have to assume that this means that this parking lot is off limits this year which would suck because I'm staying in Pittsfield. I'll wait and see. Anyways, for newbies this should be somewhat helpful and not Gospel for 2015. 

parking-shuttle.jpg

^^ thanks for sharing this, as a newbie it is useful. Two questions: (a) how close is Solid Ground camping to Mass MOCA? Seems like it's right door but I thought they said it was a 15 minute walk (B) where is Joe's Field on this map?

^^ thanks for sharing this, as a newbie it is useful. Two questions: (a) how close is Solid Ground camping to Mass MOCA? Seems like it's right door but I thought they said it was a 15 minute walk ( B) where is Joe's Field on this map?

It's pretty close...just a pleasant walk away. I wouldn't even think it's as much as 15 minutes away, but maybe someone who has stayed at the campgrounds would be able to say more.

On that map, Joe's field would be sort of opposite the lot numbered 1, in the direction of Brown St. 

By the way, there will be a VC meet-up table set up on the big deck that overlooks Courtyard C as you enter the Mass MoCA grounds....we plan to commandeer one of those tables, and we'll mark it somehow so you can find us. (Details will follow) Please come by so we can put faces to your names/usernames! Besides, there may be goodies, and you wouldn't want to miss out! :party  :banana  :cheers  :spider3

I'm really sad that staying for all of Nels' Sunday performance will likely mean having to miss Glenn's performance, since the space will probably be filled by the time we get over there.

Sunday looks like the hardest day to catch everything I hope to, as well. Quindar (I'm curious!), Autumn Defense, and Felice Bros are all somewhat overlapping.

Wow! According to the schedule, it looks like Wilco is playing from 9:15-12:40 on Friday night. That's probably only an estimated end time. Wilco on Saturday night 9:15-12 and Tweedy is 4:30-7 on Sunday. Terrific! 

2013 Parking & Shuttle info

I'm posting this here to not confuse anyone, but to point out that the abandoned Wal*Mart parking lot off of Route 8 (D on the map) is now an Ocean State Job Lot. I'd have to assume that this means that this parking lot is off limits this year which would suck because I'm staying in Pittsfield. I'll wait and see. Anyways, for newbies this should be somewhat helpful and not Gospel for 2015. 

parking-shuttle.jpg

I think the visual is off. Given when the after-Wilco events are starting on Friday and Saturday nights, it looks like Wilco will wrap up their sets by 11:30, for a 9:15 to 11:30 set each night. Two and a quarter hours is similar to past SSs if my memory serves me right.

Post-Schedule Thoughts...
1) I REALLY hope Richard Thompson sits in with them on Saturday night & we get to hear he & Nels Cline do what they did on the AmericanaramA tour (caught two of those gigs where they did)...and if not on Saturday, then at least on Sunday during the Tweedy/Jeff Tweedy/Jeff Tweedy & Friends set... still wish they'd been able to book Thompson as both solo acoustic & electrio trio, but maybe he'll play some acoustic with either Wilco or more likely, if at all, with Jeff & friends on Sunday...

2) Friday is almost all about getting down front as far as possible for the unplugged/acoustic Wilco show.

3) I agree that I think the visual is off... probably about 2 & 1/4 hours/135 minutes for Wilco each night, which is pretty much been the norm for the past few years (shorter sometimes if they are limited by scheduling at some other Fest that's not their own)..wonder if there's any chance of the finale running even longer than 7:00?!?!

4) Tricky time management spots:
~Will see NRBQ but really did hope to catch Jessica Williams & hoping it won't be so packed (the indoor venue isn't that large) that I can't get in for end of that...
~Depending on how packed it is I might miss Parquet Courts (who I'm really interested in) to get down close for Wilco on Saturday...
~Sunday is smokin'!!!- Get there early to catch Nels Cline's Stained Radiance set, then should be able to catch most of the Charles Lloyd Quartet...
~King Sunny Ade gets the nod, but I'll try to catch the end of The Felice Brothers before the finale.

The walk from Solid Ground campsite to Mass MOCA is about 15 minutes. There's a Goodwill at right about the halfway mark. It's a good place to cool down and bargain hunt. I got a few LO's there last time around. There are also shuttle buses as well buy, if I recall correctly, they didn't run that frequently.

**but**

Wow I'm overwhelmed by the plethora of awesomeness y'all!  I've never been to a SS before so I feel like a kid awaiting the unknown wonders of Disneyland for the first time.  

Joe's field, isn't there a nice hill you can post up on with a blanket?  Is this too far out for an obsessive Wilco fan?  Should I plan on arriving pretty early for both Wilco sets?

Wow I'm overwhelmed by the plethora of awesomeness y'all!  I've never been to a SS before so I feel like a kid awaiting the unknown wonders of Disneyland for the first time.  

Joe's field, isn't there a nice hill you can post up on with a blanket?  Is this too far out for an obsessive Wilco fan?  Should I plan on arriving pretty early for both Wilco sets?

Better than Disneyland...I'm fond of saying it's like having Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory located in the middle of Pepperland.

Joe's Field has plenty of places to toss down a nice blanket, but... from what the veteran's have said about it's development (my first time was last time, 2013), & I concur that it's getting to be at about capacity size wise & I hope it doesn't grow any. I don't think it can really (think there are probably legal limits they are reaching on Saturday at least) & it's still good size wise, but with Saturday sold out & Friday being acoustic/unplugged getting a place down front involves some issues with folks bringing chairs etc.. not arriving when they start seems wise.

There appears to be two pretty decent acts in Joe's Field right before Wilco, so my plan is to get down there, at least, before they do on. The sound is pretty awesome, so even being back farther isn't a big deal....but... being it is a larger crowd it kind of felt better to me when I was up front more. The biggest issues for me last year involved hydration & going to the bathroom. There are ample places to get fresh water, for free, all over Pepperland/Wonka's Factory, but... having a longer show & the bathrooms far away did cause a breakdown for all of my team at various points on Saturday as the temps were sweltering & in the 90's (the more difficult side of beautiful I guess)...Hope all this helps! It's gonna be great!!!

Better than Disneyland...I'm fond of saying it's like having Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory located in the middle of Pepperland.

Joe's Field has plenty of places to toss down a nice blanket, but... from what the veteran's have said about it's development (my first time was last time, 2013), & I concur that it's getting to be at about capacity size wise & I hope it doesn't grow any. I don't think it can really (think there are probably legal limits they are reaching on Saturday at least) & it's still good size wise, but with Saturday sold out & Friday being acoustic/unplugged getting a place down front involves some issues with folks bringing chairs etc.. not arriving when they start seems wise.

There appears to be two pretty decent acts in Joe's Field right before Wilco, so my plan is to get down there, at least, before they do on. The sound is pretty awesome, so even being back farther isn't a big deal....but... being it is a larger crowd it kind of felt better to me when I was up front more. The biggest issues for me last year involved hydration & going to the bathroom. There are ample places to get fresh water, for free, all over Pepperland/Wonka's Factory, but... having a longer show & the bathrooms far away did cause a breakdown for all of my team at various points on Saturday as the temps were sweltering & in the 90's (the more difficult side of beautiful I guess)...Hope all this helps! It's gonna be great!!!

It's a real tough marketplace for space up close out there at some shows (certainly SS), so I usually have to just hold it.

Hey All,

This will be my first time to Solid Sound. I'll be staying with a group of friends on two spots at Solid Ground. I'm thinking ahead about logistics and was hoping I could get some insight.

Once I'm parked (I got the parking permit in the mail), am I stuck for the weekend? If yes, that's fine, but I was hoping to maybe get some morning swims in at Windsor Lake (3mi away) and pick up some more groceries as needed throughout the weekend.

Also, when would you recommend arriving for camping? I know it's general admission, which at past festivals can feel like a free-for-all. The vibe of Solid Sound strikes me as different, though.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You are free to come and go as you please, at least that's how it was last time around.

Also, last time we were given assigned camping spaces. It's my understanding that it's first come first serve this year. I think if you're there by early afternoon on Friday you should be OK.