Solid Sound - 2015 - June 26-28

I'll be bringing these local Texas beers to Solid Sound if anyone would like to trade for their local craft beer or just help me drink them. Either way, they ain't going home with me.

00L87Ou.jpg

check your pm for possible beer trade.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an elevator ride yesterday with Garrison Keillor at my hotel. I didn't realize that he had A Praire Home Companion last night at Tanglewood. Huey Lewis AND The News is there tomorrow night.

SS4 was great!  Always such an amazing weekend that goes by so fast... Obviously Wilco, Tweedy and all the guys' side projects were fantastic and I knew that going in... but NRBQ and Felice Brothers stole the show for me in terms of other guest performers.  See you all next time...  Oh and after their late arrival, I spent all my remaining money at the Samosa Man food stand!  See you all next time...

What an incredible weekend. Personal highlights for me (other than the two amazing Wilco sets):

A random encounter with Jeff and Spencer early Friday as we were taking or daughters to a playground behind Mass MoCA - they were super cool and we got a few great pics of them with our girls.

I got to be part of Glenn's drum orchestra. A lot of fun & we got to keep the drum heads afterwards.

Got my poster book signed.

William Tyler's excellent set.

Nels & Norton Wisdom. Wow. Mind blowing.

Also, it was great to meet a bunch of VCers over the course of the weekend - some for the first time, You're a nice bunch.

SS '15 did not disappoint. Each Wilco/Tweedy show was top notch. I came away very impressed with Real Estate, would see them anytime. Only negative note was the constant long lines for food. More people this year, but waiting an hour to get a burrito is not cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, the beer selection was great, particularly the Summerteeth, and there was never a hassle getting a beer.  The food was a complete shitshow though. My wife got on site Friday around 7:30, was hungry and missed seeing all of Real Estate (other than what she could hear in the food court) waiting in line for food. And that never changed over the weekend, until after Tweedy ended yesterday and I could get a burrito without waiting in a line!  So next time if they're going to sell 9,000 tickets, need to improve the food game. Other than that, had a blast.  Especially liked getting my book autographed by the band and getting a few seconds to chat with each.

My non-Wilco related star of the weekend was definitely Real Estate.  Both their set on Joe's Field and then in the courtyard after Wilco.  

This was a weird Solid Sound experience for me this time. I had a good time  but......

The blankets and chairs are getting out of control. This was the first SS that I observed people getting confrontational about this, and it'll likely only get worse.

It's cool to want to share the experience with your family but there were a lot of kids 13 and under who looked absolutely miserable during both Wilco sets, I felt pretty bad for them.

Maybe if you and your friends wanted to talk about coffee and your favorite types of coffee and the coffeeshops you go to maybe you could talk about that literally any other time in your whole life and not during an acoustic Wilco performance that people literally traveled thousands of miles for (not me personally but I met a few people from far, far away and read the posts here about people coming from as far away as Brazil). If you got to enjoy just the Wilco, congratulations, I got to hear all about all sorts of inane nonsense from those around me Friday AND Saturday. Even if you want to talk to your crew about Wilco, that's cool, if you just want to jabber please, please, save it for another time. There's so much other time for jabbering.

The line for burritos won't be an hour long if people eat at any of the local restaurants. You can walk right in and walk right out of MassMoca the inside vendors aren't your only option. This didn't bother me personally, just an FYI for those that got stuck.

It was great, but as Jeff himself will tell you "we can make it better".

I'm dismayed about all the negativity in seeing here. Mizzy makes a great point about the local restaurants. They are a stones throw away from Mass MOCA and were delicious. No lines either, for the most part. Also, the delicious Indian food vendor had a very short line and great veg. food. There were more options than burritos. I'm focussing on all the beautiful moments I had at SS15 with my friends and family. So much laughter and good vibes and my kids (14 and 10) had a great time too. Not sure where the anti-kids vibe is coming from but it's off putting.

Anyway, we're already talking about the next one.

I never understood people that just have endless conversations during concerts. I mean, I can't even attempt to talk during a concert without getting distracted by the loud music that I am paying to listen too. Last show I went to, this couple was going on an on about what movies were playing in the movies, I could only guess they talk constantly in the theater about what bands are touring.

Sucks the food lines were bad, I remember they were bad in 2013 as well...we would eat "off site" in the A/C.

So they officially sold more tickets then 2013? I thought 2013 was already busting at the seems (on Saturday)...I don't know why they feel the need to increase capacity when they probably shoudln't. I get that they want to make more money, but if that's the case, you need to spend more money to accomodate the folks.

What kind of beer was Summer Teeth? Im going to guess a Session IPA, or a Wheat/Wit Ale?

How were the art installations this year? Did anyone grab pics?

Just a few comments.  I used the "burrito" only as a point of reference.  Friday night, there was no line shorter than 45-60 minutes for any food, other than the bratwurst vendor (I don't know why, I love bratwurst!).  Just so happened my wife chose to get a burrito, but would have been the same regardless.  I appreciate the suggestions about outside the venue, but these food lines were unlike years past.  On Saturday afternoon, my wife went to get some rain gear from the car and there was a food vendor truck parked right outside, running a fundraising operation for Shriner's Hospital, there was no line so she brought us in dinner from outside.  Worked great.  Like I said, the beer vending was great, and I found a nice Berkshire bourbon in the little bar behind and next to the coffee shop/Euclid Records.

As for the "talkers", my Friday night experience wasn't the best.  I was midway back on the field in front of the board along the center electrical channel.  First, i had a woman right behind me who thought it was a great idea to sing almost every song full throat.  I don't mean a Wilco sing along volume, I mean full throated out loud singing so I could hardly hear Tweedy.  Then the Wilco crashers came down the raised electrical conduit for Wilco, and there were a bunch of date night people right next to me.  One guy who was recording asked them to be quiet, which almost led to a brawl.  My Saturday and Sunday experiences were much better.