Solid Sound - 2015 - June 26-28

Thanks for the info/feedback, guys. I'll probably have to talk my wife into going in a couple hours before the show to "get a good spot." There's no way she would want to hang around for hours and hours if there is something else going on. These will be her first Wilco shows.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree with TP, what they do at Newport is perfect.  It was also done that way at Mt. Jam and it was perfect.  Personally, I get to the main stage when the openers for Wilco are about to come on.  I've always been between the stage and soundboard with no problem.  The bigger problem is people who think that they are carving out their own piece of real estate by laying out a big blanket near the front and then when the music starts thinking that that real estate is still theirs.  Behind the soundboard, sure.  Maybe a letter writing campaign is in order.

We are a family of 5 and definitely set up some chairs so the kids can sit down and rest as needed, it's a long day. Last year we were back by the soundboard. Chairs up front don't make sense. By the way....did I mention that the picture on the Solid Sound page is of my wife and daughter! I did, but I'll say it again.

This will be my first year at SS.  Really looking forward to it.  Just booked a little motel 3 miles from the grounds.  I'm from St. Louis and bypassed the Chicago Winterlude with my sights set on the Moca.

When do the fest grounds open and close?

So are there venues around town for late night gigs?

I thought a major appeal was the fact it is a scaled-down-festival with an intimate setting is it becoming overcrowded or was this just a problem with the smaller stages?

We are a family of 5 and definitely set up some chairs so the kids can sit down and rest as needed, it's a long day. Last year we were back by the soundboard. Chairs up front don't make sense. By the way....did I mention that the picture on the Solid Sound page is of my wife and daughter! I did, but I'll say it again.

Hey, Broken Foot! I believe we met at the Cooperstown show at the Ommegang Brewery in 2012, and then again at SS3. I was there with my twin daughters - we were behind you at Ommegang, releasing balloons with you, if I remember correctly. I recognized your wife and daughter in the picture. Is it Greg (or Craig?) from New Jersey?

This will be my first year at SS.  Really looking forward to it.  Just booked a little motel 3 miles from the grounds.  I'm from St. Louis and bypassed the Chicago Winterlude with my sights set on the Moca.

When do the fest grounds open and close?

So are there venues around town for late night gigs?

I thought a major appeal was the fact it is a scaled-down-festival with an intimate setting is it becoming overcrowded or was this just a problem with the smaller stages?

-As I recall, the grounds are open kind of early.  I remember them offering early yoga, around 9 or 10.  Music started around noon or so.

-There are some bars within walking distance that have some later night music, but it was limited.  To me it seemed that it wasn't a huge part of anyone's weekend.  You can come and go from the festival, so it is fun to walk around North Adams.  There are some galleries and restaurants if you want to get away from the festival's food and drink options.  With the bigger crowds last year, the lines for the food trucks were longer.

-While I would love to have them sell fewer tickets, I highly doubt they will.  But I don't think they will sell more than last year.  The smaller stages are in courtyards, so it can get dense.  Also, it is in an old factory so some of the passageways can act as bottlenecks.  It's not a huge open space between stages like, say, Austin City Limits.  But still, even with the bigger crowds, I find it infinitely more desirable than most festivals.  There's all sorts of gallery space so you can find shade and fewer crowds, security is friendly, the festival offerings go so much further than the music.  I always enjoy the comedy for a chance to sit down in the air conditioning for a while.  However the music offerings are so interesting and diverse.  The festival goers are nice, respectful, and generally asshole-free, with the exception of that guy in Foxygen last year.  But he's an artist, so he gets a pass.  I've seen all the Wilcos and members of other bands walking around, checking out bands, with no one hassling them.  Parking near the venue is not a problem that I've had, but you can take the shuttles too.  

You will be so happy you went!

Ditto to absolutely everything Raspberry Jam wrote. I now have the recent memory of 3 big festivals last year: Newport Folk, Lockn' and Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. To say there's literally no comparison is a huge understatement. Solid Sound feels like the kind of festival that Wilco would organize.

Hey, Broken Foot! I believe we met at the Cooperstown show at the Ommegang Brewery in 2012, and then again at SS3. I was there with my twin daughters - we were behind you at Ommegang, releasing balloons with you, if I remember correctly. I recognized your wife and daughter in the picture. Is it Greg (or Craig?) from New Jersey?

Hey, how are you?  Yes, it's Greg, good memory.  I am pretty bad with names so you will have to remind me.  I do recall that when we met at Cooperstown you were wearing a Lebowski (Art) shirt.  And, your friend (who's name I also forget) blew up one of the balloons manually.  My kids have referred to him as the Standing O guy because he showed them a dance move at Cooperstown.  And, the balloon launch has become our tradition for the start of any Wilco show we are at.  We were fortunate to have seen the band at Lockn and the Capital Theater over the past couple of months.  Also saw Tweedy this Summer at a free show up in Maine.  I thought that I might see you there, because I think that's where you are from.  At any rate, looking foward to this year's SS, got our tickets yesterday.  Funny that my wife and daughter are in the picture right?   

Hey, how are you?  Yes, it's Greg, good memory.  I am pretty bad with names so you will have to remind me.  I do recall that when we met at Cooperstown you were wearing a Lebowski (Art) shirt.  And, your friend (who's name I also forget) blew up one of the balloons manually.  My kids have referred to him as the Standing O guy because he showed them a dance move at Cooperstown.  And, the balloon launch has become our tradition for the start of any Wilco show we are at.  We were fortunate to have seen the band at Lockn and the Capital Theater over the past couple of months.  Also saw Tweedy this Summer at a free show up in Maine.  I thought that I might see you there, because I think that's where you are from.  At any rate, looking foward to this year's SS, got our tickets yesterday.  Funny that my wife and daughter are in the picture right?   

Hey Greg! It is Tom, and your memory is good - I am in Maine. I was at that free LL Bean show; sorry I missed you there. That is a serious trek for you.

My friend Steve (the short, round, hairy dude - that's not a very flattering description, but, hey, he can't read this as he has been banished from VC) went to the 3 shows at the Cap. I am envious of you and all who were there.

Steve bought a few SS tickets yesterday. One has my name on it, but I am on the fence for this one. Like life in general, it is complicated - my wife's birthday falls in the middle of SS this summer, one of my daughters is heading to Disneyworld with a friend's family on the last day, my wallet wonders why the hell I am even considering it. But who knows - one daughter wants to go to SS, it's awfully hard to pass up Wilco shows at MASS MoCA, and it falls during my time off from work. We'll see which way I fall off this fence.

And it is very cool that your wife and daughter are in the picture. That picture is a keeper!

What do you recommend for those who can't stay in North Adams and can't drive? There are buses that take people from cities around North Adams for the festival?

There is a shuttle that runs along route 2 from North Adams toward Williamstown. There is also a campground within walking distance of the venue. 

I'm planning to check airbnb as we get closer to June to try to find a place between North Adams and Williamstown.

I recall that the shuttles are free and for everyone.  I would suggest staying at any hotel in Williamstown along rt. 2.   I think it would be very likely that you will meet up with other concertgoers that would be happy to give you a lift.  I'm pretty sure you will find that there are taxis too.

Closer to the date, there will be info on the Solid Sound website about where the shuttles pick up and drop off.  

Really want to go this year, but I'm afraid finances are just not in the cards. All the hotels in the area are either booked or have doubled prices since 2012, which just sucks.

If anyone is looking forward to a day excursion I would recommend Mt Greylock. Perfect place on Sunday morning when the festival starts to wind down

Really want to go this year, but I'm afraid finances are just not in the cards. All the hotels in the area are either booked or have doubled prices since 2012, which just sucks.

Have you expanded the search beyond Mass? My wife and I are staying at a little motel in Bennington, VT, just 30 minutes or so from MassMoCA. It was only $85 per night with a king bed. I know some people want to go straight to bed after a day's festivities, but I don't mind a short drive to decompress before bed time...

Yeah, I'm sure we could find something that far away, but I have no interest in being that far away. being able to head back to the hotel to clean up, and being able to stay until the event closed, is kind of a must for me.

If I'm going to spend the air fare , I'm going to do it right.

It's not just the hotel prices that are keeping me fr going, it's more of a personal responsibility not to spend the money right now.

I just have this awful feeling that The Replacements will be listed as a headlining act, and at that point I don't think I will be able to resist.

I pulled the trigger on tickets to SS. I've never been. I'm going to be flying into a city close by. Does anyone have advice on what the best route is for hotels? Should I try to get as close to the venue as possible? Are there ample cabs? Should I rent a car? I assume I have to rent a car to get there if I fly into Albany or Boston... 

I pulled the trigger on tickets to SS. I've never been. I'm going to be flying into a city close by. Does anyone have advice on what the best route is for hotels? Should I try to get as close to the venue as possible? Are there ample cabs? Should I rent a car? I assume I have to rent a car to get there if I fly into Albany or Boston... 

Probably the easiest way to go is to rent a car.  Myself personally, I would take whichever airport is cheaper, but Albany is smaller and more convenient.  Getting out of Boston can be a nightmare.  Hartford (Bradley) is convenient too.

I would shoot for any hotels in Williamstown first.  

Probably the easiest way to go is to rent a car.  Myself personally, I would take whichever airport is cheaper, but Albany is smaller and more convenient.  Getting out of Boston can be a nightmare.  Hartford (Bradley) is convenient too.

I would shoot for any hotels in Williamstown first.  

Thanks!