Philip Seymour Hoffman -- DEAD

Thanks for that.  I don't really care for Brand too much, but that's an excellent article.

I see that sentiment a lot and it always confuses me. I think he's been good in the few movies I've seen him in, and in most interviews I see him or articles like that, he always comes across as an interesting and thoughtful guy.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is any good that has come from PSH death is that it sheds a light on the terrible growing heroin epidemic.  My hope is that something is done about it.  My fear is that this will be in the news for another day, maybe two and then forgotten about, until the next famous person dies.  

I see that sentiment a lot and it always confuses me. I think he's been good in the few movies I've seen him in, and in most interviews I see him or articles like that, he always comes across as an interesting and thoughtful guy.

Loved him in "Get Him to the Greek". Or whatever it was called.

While in college, I took a class in social deviancy. The instructor kept on talking about junkies using "harry-on". After he said "harry-on" a dozen times, someone asked him what he was talking about. His response was "Harry-on, harry-on, HARRY-ON!" Apparently he was trying to say "heroin". He kinda creeped me out after that outburst. And he never adjusted how he pronounced heroin. What a misfit.

If he had as many in his apt. as reported (around 70), they were likely $10 and/or $20 bags. Some were likely there for a couple years, as they had been out of circulation for awhile. I don't know what his current and/or dependency was but a lot of heavy users can go through 2-3 of those bags easily in a day.

that's not how opiates work Jules

I would think people would know this by now. Heroin and its effects should be well known and that over time you need more to achieve the same effect. I have a friend whose son is still trying to get over the effects by being on methodone and it is taking years to even stop using that. Heroin is dirt cheap and readily available. It's a very sad and upsetting thing, but not the same as drinking a few beers or smoking a few joints.

LouieB

I took Jules' comment to mean that maybe people stockpile their heroin just like people stockpile beer. You have a few extra dollars right now so you buy up a supply so you don't need to go out to buy it at the last minute.

I agree that the nature of heroin addiction would probably indicate that people wouldn't be able to exercise that much self control and would be likely to find themselves using more when they have a ready supply, but isn't it at least theoretically possible that someone could have a lot of it lying around but still use only the same, relatively controlled, amount each day?

By the way, I'm NOT saying that this would be wise, and I really have no strong opinion on the issue. I'm just asking why this wouldn't be in the realm of possibility.

IT would make no sense for a person in recovery at whatever stage to be hording drugs like that. Some alcoholics are able to be around alcoholic beverages if someone else in the house is drinking them, but drugs seem to be a different matter. Alcohol is not illegal, but heroin is. But then again what do I know really. I don't know hardly any ex-junkys, but I know plenty of alcoholics, they are more common in my life.

LouieB

Not sure what difference it makes whether an addictive substance is legal or not. Of course it makes no sense to have drugs while in recovery but he obviously was in relapse, and the amount he had makes  sense. If he was an alcoholic in relapse and drank himself to death it wouldn't be surprising if a shit ton of booze was found in his apartment.....

I think its common practice to sell/buy relatively large amounts of "bindles" of H. It makes sense from both the seller and buyers perspective.

Not sure what difference it makes whether an addictive substance is legal or not. Of course it makes no sense to have drugs while in recovery but he obviously was in relapse, and the amount he had makes  sense. If he was an alcoholic in relapse and drank himself to death it wouldn't be surprising if a shit ton of booze was found in his apartment.....

You complete me.

I basically agree with this. But alcoholic beverages are fairly common in people's houses, particularly if you live with someone who is not on the wagon and you are. I have known plenty of folks who live with someone who is not drinking, but the other person is. Also some alcoholics can stop by a bar or restaurant where alcohol is being served and still not succumb. Clearly it would be inadvisable for someone in recovery to be hording alcohol if they lived alone. Being around any heroin or heroin users if you are in recovery would be dicey in any event.

LouieB

You know whats funny? One of the results of our invasion of Afghanistan is the flooding of the global streets with cheap, high quality heroin. Maybe its not so funny.

Btw, I live in a relatively affluent community in the midwest and its chock full of kids hopped up on H.