JT Solo Shows Announced

Beep! Loved the Portlandia episode... this reminded me that the Detroit show is too close not to attend. I missed the pre-sale but just cleared my schedule. Maybe I'll wind up in the balcony and that'll be alright. But I'll look for extra tics posted here.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tried to get a better pair of tickets for Baltimore than I got in the presale the other day. I got in exactly at 10 and almost the entire front half of the center orchestra was gone, except for a pair in the fourth row that I added to my cart and then immediately lost them. What a load of crap. There are already 8 seats in the front row and 10 in the second on StubHub. They were probably never for sale to the general public. 

The seats we have are good, and I know the show will be great. I've been doing this long enough that I shouldn't be shocked or disgusted by scalping, but it just seems to be getting harder and harder to get excellent seats for shows unless you've got a bottomless bank account.

Saw announcement for Kentucky on Facebook this morning:

Just announced: Jeff Tweedy at the Brown Theatre, Louisville KY on June 9. Wilcoworld pre-sale Wednesday 4/9 at 10am EDT, majority of tix on sale Friday 4/11 at 10am.

Okay, D.C., KY...he's getting closer to F-L-A. Come on, Jeff, it's really nice down here this early in the year!

I just tried to get a better pair of tickets for Baltimore than I got in the presale the other day. I got in exactly at 10 and almost the entire front half of the center orchestra was gone, except for a pair in the fourth row that I added to my cart and then immediately lost them. What a load of crap. There are already 8 seats in the front row and 10 in the second on StubHub. They were probably never for sale to the general public. 

The seats we have are good, and I know the show will be great. I've been doing this long enough that I shouldn't be shocked or disgusted by scalping, but it just seems to be getting harder and harder to get excellent seats for shows unless you've got a bottomless bank account.

I share your pain. I wish they would figure out some way to do this. I shouldn't complain about where I'm sitting--it's not bad--but I'm just spoiled by the first or second row I can always get at a GA show when I'm prepared to wait in line. That's why I'm not more upset about middling 10th row sets for Baltimore, because I know I can be where I want to be the next night in DC if I just wait it out. And I do believe the weather will be better than the last time I waited in line, in Chicago in February!

I share your pain. I wish they would figure out some way to do this. I shouldn't complain about where I'm sitting--it's not bad--but I'm just spoiled by the first or second row I can always get at a GA show when I'm prepared to wait in line. That's why I'm not more upset about middling 10th row sets for Baltimore, because I know I can be where I want to be the next night in DC if I just wait it out. And I do believe the weather will be better than the last time I waited in line, in Chicago in February!

That's actually why I passed on DC, because I knew I couldn't get down there early to stand in line, since I'm teaching a summer class that meets Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, and my boyfriend won't get off work until about when I get out of class at 4:30. We got good seats in the Wilco presale and will still be closer than I've ever been for Jeff solo, but between all those good seats being on StubHub and the fact that I somehow lost a pair of fourth row seats I had in my cart yesterday, I was super grumpy. 

That's actually why I passed on DC, because I knew I couldn't get down there early to stand in line, since I'm teaching a summer class that meets Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, and my boyfriend won't get off work until about when I get out of class at 4:30. We got good seats in the Wilco presale and will still be closer than I've ever been for Jeff solo, but between all those good seats being on StubHub and the fact that I somehow lost a pair of fourth row seats I had in my cart yesterday, I was super grumpy. 

You know, a friend said something about the ticket frustration that I'll bet is true, and it hadn't even occurred to me before. For shows like the Meyerhoff, there's probably a series that people in the Baltimore area have a subscription to, and maybe most of the excellent seats are already spoken for by these season pass holders ahead of time. Most of them probably haven't even heard of Jeff Tweedy, so when they find out they're holding tickets for a hot commodity, they put them up on Stubhub. That's a pretty likely scenario, I think, and it would account for why there are so few really close seats available in either the presales or the regular onsale but they magically appear on the secondary market immediately. For the Lincoln Theater in DC, the Tweedy show is probably a one off, so they just do it as a GA show.

This is all supposition on my part, of course, but I think it was the same for the December shows in Sacramento and Santa Barbara. There were a lot of people at those shows who seemed relatively unfamiliar with the material, as opposed to the Fillmore shows which were packed with fans. Jeff gives it his all no matter what, of course, and it's always interesting to see how he handles the different audiences. 

Anybody have any idea if I'm on the right track here?

That was sort of the case when my wife and I saw "An Evening with Wilco" at the Strathmore a few years ago. The venue primarily features chamber and jazz music, and there were a lot of season subscribers who either A) came to the show and had their faces completely melted or B) sold their tickets online for a high price. Luckily my boss at the time had formerly worked at the venue and still had contacts there, so we managed to snag some seats at a decent price.

Jeff made a few cracks that night about playing a 3-hour rock show in an orchestra hall and Wilco not exactly fitting the bill for the season ticket holders.

That was sort of the case when my wife and I saw "An Evening with Wilco" at the Strathmore a few years ago. The venue primarily features chamber and jazz music, and there were a lot of season subscribers who either A) came to the show and had their faces completely melted or B) sold their tickets online for a high price. Luckily my boss at the time had formerly worked at the venue and still had contacts there, so we managed to snag some seats at a decent price.

Jeff made a few cracks that night about playing a 3-hour rock show in an orchestra hall and Wilco not exactly fitting the bill for the season ticket holders.

Funny--I was listening to the Wellmont, NJ show from a few nights after the Strathmore show, which I attended.  Jeff remarks about how great and energetic the Wellmont crowd is, and jokes that the audience in "Bethesda, Maryland" a few nights ago was old.  "It was like they took the people who normally go to shows at the 9:30 club and sent their grandparents," or something to that effect.  I would have felt insulted, except he was totally correct.

Funny--I was listening to the Wellmont, NJ show from a few nights after the Strathmore show, which I attended.  Jeff remarks about how great and energetic the Wellmont crowd is, and jokes that the audience in "Bethesda, Maryland" a few nights ago was old.  "It was like they took the people who normally go to shows at the 9:30 club and sent their grandparents," or something to that effect.  I would have felt insulted, except he was totally correct.

So the takeaway from this is that the diehard fans in the audience at the fancy venues have to show their enthusiasm in a particularly vociferous way. OK, I can do that!

• 1 month later...

..... My fear here, like with Mountain Jam (where he's also not a headliner) is that he'll play a truncated opening act "Festival" length set (not even headliner length, which is often 75-90 min.)...so something like 30-60 min., with 45 min. being my best bet. I wish there was some way to know how long he's actually playing!!! .....

The Ottawa Bluesfest schedule is posted.  Jeff is booked from 9:30 - 10:45. 

Pittsburgh first, but...now I'm headed to both the Baltimore & Washington D.C. shows...going with an old friend who lives down there (he was one of our crew at Solid Sound 2013) & we'll also be doing a few days worth of jamming amidst my crashing at his place. He truly & deeply get the multiple guitar approach of Television, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Beatles, Stones, etc. ...should be a great time!!!