• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today (well, yesterday now) my favorite sports team won the World Series. They've given me 40 summers of joy with a good number of heartaches also. But they're my team, they were my first love (along

Hadn't heard this in a while. Honk.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_KlckKFFc0    

Heck yeah the better team won! Braves fan since 1975. And that means I have suffered through many awful seasons. 2021 began as a mediocre season and ended with a championship. Hell of a ride. GO BRAVE

Posted Images

What a shame that schools have moved away from the arts. Hell, I think Illinois is one of the few state school systems that still offer GYM. Crazy.

Anyways, my girl started today in one of those STEM schools that seem to be gaining in popularity as of late. It was just built. We took a tour on Monday. Really cool labs and facilities. Its still part of the public school system though.

It's not so much that schools have "moved away" from the Arts. but that they are usually the first to get cut when working in the confines of a relatively tight budget. Most schools are going to focus on providing extra interventionists and Sp. Ed teachers and data coaches, etc who can all (purportedly) assist in bringing the state-mandated test scores up to "acceptable" levels. Simply put, Music and Art and P.E. teachers can't. 

Anyway, we started with students yesterday. I looped with my 4th graders from last year to teach them 5th this year. Have kids in 2nd, 5th, 7th, and the oldest hitting high school this year.

I appreciate that they all go (or went, for the 9th grader) to a charter school based on Expeditionary Learning. They are out of the classroom often doing field work in the city or the mountains and get to go camping and rock climbing and canoeing and shit a lot.

It's not so much that schools have "moved away" from the Arts. but that they are usually the first to get cut when working in the confines of a relatively tight budget. Most schools are going to focus on providing extra interventionists and Sp. Ed teachers and data coaches, etc who can all (purportedly) assist in bring the state-mandated test scores up to "acceptable" levels. Simply put, Music and Art and P.E. teachers can't. 

Yeah, I know there's nothing they can do about it.. But it still sucks.  I'm just glad I was able to find the charter school for my son, and it works out logistically that I can take him there/pick him up.  Other parents aren't so fortunate.. 

The artists get shit on the worse in public school, and it's a damn shame..  Artists typically come with learning disabilities like ADD, language disorders etc, because the part of their brains used for academics is all used for the artistic side of their brains.  They need something they are interested in (like art, music etc.) to help them focus on the things they aren't interested in (like academics), and those programs are being taken away.. 

Autumn turns to winter and then winter turns to spring
It's not just a season to know its goes for everything
Clouds can turn to rain and then it just might snow
You gotta take lesson from mother nature and if you do you'll know.

Well it's time to change when it's time to change
Move by the time come along for the ride, don't you see
When it's time to change you've got to rearrange
Move your heart to what your gonna be
Sha na na na na na na na, sha na na na na
Sha na na na na na na na, sha na na na na

Shit, I've been eating organic Gala apples for lunch all week but when I bought them at the store on Monday for some reason I thought they said "Gaia" apples (bad vision and bad memory) so I've been intrigued all week eating Gaia apples and often wondering why I had never heard of Gaia apples before and how cool it was that they came out with a new apple called Gaia apples.

Speaking of apples, my dwarf apple trees (Jonagold and Honeycrisp) have produced no fruit again. Second year in a row. Its ok though, the trees had a tough time being laden with fruit the first year. Lost a lot of branches.