Today (well actually 2 days ago) I learned that I'm going to be a grandmother in November. I never have been before so I hope I don't blow it. Brennan and Mariela are giddy with excitement...so cute to watch. :wub

Blow it?  No way -  you will rank amongst the coolest grandmas ever! Congratulations to you and the happy couple.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today (well, yesterday now) my favorite sports team won the World Series. They've given me 40 summers of joy with a good number of heartaches also. But they're my team, they were my first love (along

Hadn't heard this in a while. Honk.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_KlckKFFc0    

Heck yeah the better team won! Braves fan since 1975. And that means I have suffered through many awful seasons. 2021 began as a mediocre season and ended with a championship. Hell of a ride. GO BRAVE

Posted Images

Today I'm watching my first Atlanta Braves game since my dad passed away. He introduced me to baseball through the Braves in the summer of '82 (shortly after we got cable), and I fell in love with the game almost immediately. I played until the game outpaced my skill set and have continued to watch it. I'd give anything to have him here with me to talk about the game today. 

Today I'm watching my first Atlanta Braves game since my dad passed away. He introduced me to baseball through the Braves in the summer of '82 (shortly after we got cable), and I fell in love with the game almost immediately. I played until the game outpaced my skill set and have continued to watch it. I'd give anything to have him here with me to talk about the game today. 

These moments are so hard...they really solidify your loss, somehow. But recognizing what he was to you can be a sweet insight, almost like him talking in your ear. It does get easier over time. Talk to him about the game if you want to! I'll bet in your mind you can hear his answer. It's 5 years since I lost my dad, but we still "talk" sometimes.

I'll bet your dad will be there in spirit whenever you watch a game.

Yeah, Steve did a great job in wrapping up an era. Last three tunes played were Shout at the Devil, Number of the Beast and Highway to Hell.

There's an interesting blog post at www.bighairplasticgrass.com that discusses the relevance of The Loop back in the day.

These moments are so hard...they really solidify your loss, somehow. But recognizing what he was to you can be a sweet insight, almost like him talking in your ear. It does get easier over time. Talk to him about the game if you want to! I'll bet in your mind you can hear his answer. It's 5 years since I lost my dad, but we still "talk" sometimes.

I'll bet your dad will be there in spirit whenever you watch a game.

Thank you for your reassuring words. It's interesting that you suggest I talk to him about the game. I thought about posting an update on Facebook a couple of months ago along the same lines I was going to advise anyone who sees me talking while driving alone in my car that I was talking to my dad about a ballgame. A friend who lost his dad almost a year exactly before I lost mine told me the number of things about which he'd like to talk to his dad has piled up. I've noticed the same thing. 

Today I was let go from my Job without warning. 

Didn't you switch jobs recently, too? Sorry to hear this. 

Tomorrow, I am going to have job-phone interview for the 1st time in about 21 years - should be a hoot...

Thanks everyone. I made the misteak of not being an ass kisser and having an opinon and I paid the price. Everything happens for a reason I guess.

Oh gawd you went and had an opinion, didn't you?!!!? :headbonk  You will be happier in an elsewhere kind of place. Don't waste too much time in review...better awaits!

Thanks everyone. I made the misteak of not being an ass kisser and having an opinon and I paid the price. Everything happens for a reason I guess and yes I just started less than 5 months ago.

Sorry to hear that man.  Yes, everything happens for a reason.  Hang in there and look forward to what's next.

Those bastards!!

Craig, I’m so so sorry.

(I also thought about your old job. You were there a really long time right?)

Yep 11 years...I accomplished a great deal there I have my fingers crossed.

Sorry to hear that man.  Yes, everything happens for a reason.  Hang in there and look forward to what's next.

Thanks I really appreciate everyone's encouragement!

Have two corned beef briskets going in the crockpot because we love corned beef and cant wait for St Patrick's Day!

I am so sorry to hear this. It's happened to me before and it has sucked both times. Once was without warning--the other one I saw coming. 

I'm definitely on thin ice in my current job too, and unfortunately I'm well past the even-remotely-marketable age bracket. I worked for almost 20 years for the same company and was pretty much happy as a clam there. My downfall came when I thought it was a brilliant idea to take a leap into a different functional field (sales and marketing vs. product management) back in the late 80's, and it's been one sucky experience after another since then, including several geographical moves. Firing, company reorg, company merger, firing....ugh. The story is longer and more miserable than this summary indicates, but fuck it. This isn't about me--it's about you. Just wanted you to know that I can definitely relate. Hope you can find something soon. Best wishes coming your way!

I am so sorry to hear this. It's happened to me before and it has sucked both times. Once was without warning--the other one I saw coming.

I'm definitely on thin ice in my current job too, and unfortunately I'm well past the even-remotely-marketable age bracket. I worked for almost 20 years for the same company and was pretty much happy as a clam there. My downfall came when I thought it was a brilliant idea to take a leap into a different functional field (sales and marketing vs. product management) back in the late 80's, and it's been one sucky experience after another since then, including several geographical moves. Firing, company reorg, company merger, firing....ugh. The story is longer and more miserable than this summary indicates, but fuck it. This isn't about me--it's about you. Just wanted you to know that I can definitely relate. Hope you can find something soon. Best wishes coming your way!

Thanks sorry to hear about your troubles too. Problem is companies don’t value employees as humans. We’re just means to an end. I need to find a progressive company that respects and values input and would value me as an individual. Good thing is I now have time for the gym and time to read a book I got months ago that was gathering dust lol

Today, right around 530pm, my anxiety went up about 1000x when I heard that neocon maniac Bolton has been installed as Nat'l security advisor.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a snippet of a dream I remember from last night where I was shaking Trump's hand (very limp, awkward, and clammy, btw) and telling him: "FINALLY I agree with you on something!!" The "something" was him, in my classroom, telling myself and students how "despicable" the president is.