The War On Drugs

Couldn't find a thread for this band.

I saw them last night in Phoenix and was pretty impressed.  They have a pretty interesting and effective mix of 80s synths and beats with Dylan-esque vocals and lyrics, plus some really great long guitar solos with lots of shimmering effects, so they also sound like a cool blend of U2-ish 80s guitar and lyrical melodic 70s soloing.  They get into some nice crescendos which I found great.  The drums, keyboards and rhythm guitars lay down a static, steady foundation and the bass, lead guitar and vocals provide all the drama and the emotion.  I found this blend so intriguing.

There were sound problems (a guitar amp that was barely emitting even though it was cranked "to 11", a constant electronic hum all the way through the show and some guitar effects that weren't working right) that annoyed Granduciel. He clearly was not getting the sounds he wanted and while he was professional, he couldn't completely hide his frustration. The sound crew of the club didn't even try to come on stage to attempt to sort out the issues.  I've heard these same problems with several other acts at this club, The Crescent Ballroom, and seen the sound crew react with the same apparent indifference.  Of course, I don't know the whole story, but it seems to be a pattern at this club and it frustrates me.  Just one more thing that might make bands think twice about coming back to play in Arizona's weak live music scene.

Here's a good review from the LA Times  http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-five-thoughts-on-the-war-on-drugs-at-the-troubadour-saturday-20140406,0,6586763.story#axzz2yJESgt58

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought the most recent album a few weeks ago and have been listening non-stop.  Seeing them next Thursday at the Paradise in Boston, really looking forward to this show.  From reading the cd booklet I get the impression this band is really all about the one main guy.  Sort of like Bon Iver.  Is that right?

I bought the most recent album a few weeks ago and have been listening non-stop.  Seeing them next Thursday at the Paradise in Boston, really looking forward to this show.  From reading the cd booklet I get the impression this band is really all about the one main guy.  Sort of like Bon Iver.  Is that right?

Well, yeah Granduciel is the lead guitar, lead vocals and songwriter, but the performing band is still a band and I got the sense that the bass player was more of a co-leader, musically, while the drums, keys/synths  and rhythm guitars support.  The keyboard played briefly dipped into some welcome "acoustic" piano solos, but mostly played electronic washes of sound.

Dylan, Huey Lewis, Bruce Hornsby are also mentioned.

surprised to see no one's mentioned the Kurt Vile angle yet...KV was a member of TWOD, and Adam was a Violator. they kinda split as each project began taking more and more time, but i think they are still on good terms.

i might be there next week.

i'm the middle-aged,short, bearded guy w/ the leg brace.

For me the Springsteen, Hornsby and especially the Huey Lewis are far off the mark in comparisons, even laughably absurd in the case of Huey Lewis.  There is no catchy, lighthearted, lightweight  blues-based pop in their music..  I had read comparisons to Dire Straits, but I didn't hear so much of that either.  The guitar is not stinging enough.  Maybe Dire Straits-like in the length of the songs and 80s production.  War On Drugs music is far more dreamy and open-ended than any of those bands (except Dire Straits).  The Dylan similarities are pretty obvious in his vocal inflections and harmonica playing, less obvious in his lyrics, but I was reminded of Dylan's style/sound/mood on some of Infidels and Oh Mercy.

I have been checking out the new music and I have been checking out the download for New York City Taper....a show from NYC a few weeks ago...it is great.

I am thinking Dylan influenced in a big way but they do jam it out...Like dylan was doing early 90's before he lost it.

Huey Lewis....WTF...not even in same area.

Dylan, Huey Lewis, Bruce Hornsby are also mentioned.

surprised to see no one's mentioned the Kurt Vile angle yet...KV was a member of TWOD, and Adam was a Violator. they kinda split as each project began taking more and more time, but i think they are still on good terms.

i might be there next week.

i'm the middle-aged,short, bearded guy w/ the leg brace.

And the camera around your neck, no?

I'm the slightly more than middle-aged tallish balding guy, likely wearing a black "W" Wilco cap.

I don't hear any resemblance to Springsteen, Huey Lewis or Hornsby.  They remind me of somebody, I just can't put my finger on who.

Actually pretty into this band...I am a big Kurt Vile fan as well.

I've read multiple reviews/articles dubbing their new record as "bossgaze", a spin at Springsteen esque melodies with shoegaze-ish instrumentation. I guess that's up to the listener, but I can hear a bit at why that'd make a little sense. Either way, cool band.

• 2 weeks later...

I had read comparisons to Dire Straits, but I didn't hear so much of that either. 

I heard a song on the radio this morning that I suspect was War on Drugs.  I did detect some Dire Straits-isms, or rather, a few guitar licks that were similar to some things I've heard Mark Knopfler play.  It was pretty subtle, though.   I actually picked up on the Dire Straits thing before concluding that it was a War on Drugs tune.

• 1 month later...

Listening now, and the production on this thing sounds like 1990.

That's not a knock on it, just an observation. Very much like The Church or Echo and The Bunnymen or something -- so atmospheric.

Lanois-esque.

• 2 weeks later...