The War On Drugs

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

huge fan of the last 2 records, and caught the show in Toronto last month.  So very impressed.  If there's a knock it's that their songs don't vary all that much overall, but they've nailed what they do extremely well.

Anyone mention a Tom Petty influence?  I get that in addition to some others mentioned above.  Listen to these guys in a car, classic road trip music!

If anyone's interested I've got a complilation of their radio/TV work and a compilation of their live stuff prior to the release of the new album going up soon - http://this-was-now.blogspot.com.au/search/label/War%20on%20Drugs.

The Dylan comparison might partly be about the fact that Granduciel talks about him being an influence. Apparently he and Kurt Vile bonded over their shared love of Bob. For me, they manage to mix together quite a few disparate influences into something that doesn't sound quite like anything else. Anyone that likes the new album should check out the first two, both great albums.

• 2 weeks later...

huge fan of the last 2 records, and caught the show in Toronto last month.  So very impressed.  If there's a knock it's that their songs don't vary all that much overall, but they've nailed what they do extremely well.

Anyone mention a Tom Petty influence?  I get that in addition to some others mentioned above.  Listen to these guys in a car, classic road trip music!

I totally get the Petty influence. As some people will say Coldplay built a career around ripping off Radiohead's High & Dry, The War on Drugs' music is pretty much summed up in the song Time to Move On by Petty.

Hearing a World Party/Waterboys influence, too.

For sure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's the best article I've read on the WoD.   Sounds like this album took a lot out of Adam. 

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/the-war-on-drugs-gets-ready-to-play-the-big-rooms/

Nice read. thanks for posting. 

Loved this quote:

“I learned a lot about anxiety and depression and how you probably have it your whole life, but you never really know it. Then eventually it starts to make your life smaller and smaller and smaller.”

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...