Supposedly great bands/artists that you cant stand

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joni Mitchell

I think it's her voice.

But I am still trying. I have Court and Spark and will continue to give it a chance. Too many people whom I respect love this record and love her that it compels me to keep trying.

I haven't been able to get into that part of her career.  It feels so smooth jazz to me.  Try Ladies of the Canyon instead and see what you think.  If you don't like it or Court.., do yourself a favor and just quit trying.

The thing with Joni Mitchell is that, I felt the same way about The Roches before I really listened to them, but now they've become one of my favorites.

But then, The Roches have a sense of humor; I don't get anything like a sense of humor from Joni.

Trying to think of a single example of an 80s Prince record that's poorly produced, and I'm coming up practically blank, except maybe for the song Take Me With U.

Yeah, me too. His stuff holds up quite well for the most part. The same can't be said for a lot of his '80s contemporaries

Todd do you know about the children's book from the youngest Roche sister? It's great.

http://publishersweekly.com/978-0-375-86879-5

Too bad my kids are too old for books like this anymore, or that would be a great little stocking stuffer or something.

Thanks!

metallica

Even with bands I dont like, I usually can understand why people like them.  But I dont get metallica, awful, just awful.

Some folks just dig musicianship. And there is no denying that these guys can play.

That said, I fukkin' hate them, too.

Over the last two weeks I have checked out Kill em All, Ride the Lightning, Puppets, and Justice from the library --- I haven't listened to them in probably over 20-25 years --- it was a fun listen --- I even noticed my wife tapping her foot while Justice was blasting in the car.

I can probably wait for another 20-25 years to listen to them, again - though.

Kill 'Em All sounded almost revolutionary when it first came out. Pretty much the heaviest thing out there at the time.

I would put Joni up there in the top five most important musical figures of the 20th century, along with Dylan, Zappa, and The Beatles. The run of her first 10 albums is only equalled by maybe The Beatles and Dylan, and she came up through the industry despite the odds being against her (polio, being a woman in a male-dominated industry, etc).

I know her vocal range went a little too high for some people in the early days (like Joan Baez), but that was the style at the time in the world of folk. Her original guitar tunings, her voice, and especially her songwriting are unearthly. If you don't dig Court and Spark, though, you might want to just give up. That whole album is brilliant from start to finish.

Also, try Blue. Joni could bruise you with that high voice the same way Dylan did with the harmonica. It's a dark, brooding, incredible album.

Sense of humor? Try Raised on Robbery, Twisted, or even the end of Big Yellow Taxi. She was not humorless.

http://www.thebacklot.com/10-essential-and-some-lesser-known-clips-of-joni-mitchell/11/2012/?fb_action_ids=10154073044910621&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_ref=fblike_web&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

I think that theory can be proven incorrect.  Gabba gabba hey!

Definitely Foo Fighters.

Green Day

Billy Joel

Beach Boys

Bee Gees

ANY 80s hair farmer bands.

And Patti Smith. Can't stand her music.

Threads like these make me sad. Unfortunately, they always pop up.

I also can't even imagine how anyone "can't stand" great bands like Spoon, Radiohead, The Beach Boys, The Clash, My Bloody Valentine, The National, The White Stripes, Pavement, The Ramones, Talking Heads, etc.

Whatever.