Supposedly great bands/artists that you cant stand

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to think of a single example of an 80s Prince record that's poorly produced, and I'm coming up practically blank, except maybe for the song Take Me With U.

U like "U Got The Look"?

terrible.

Some folks just dig musicianship. And there is no denying that these guys can play.

That said, I fukkin' hate them, too.

for people who don't like Metallica, do you like other thrash metal bands, or just dislike the genre?

U like "U Got The Look"?

terrible.

for people who don't like Metallica, do you like other thrash metal bands, or just dislike the genre?

I think that I just dislike the genre.

But there is no denying that there is something about these guys, specifically, that bugs me.

"Can't stand" is too strong for this one, but despite seeing this band live close to 20 times, knowing them to some small degree personally, and wanting to like them, I just can't seem to find anything noteworthy about Superchunk.

Yeah, "can't stand" doesn't really apply to me. If I don't like a band, I just don't listen to them. I don't maintain a negative passion for them.

But, "big" bands in that category, for me, would include:

Kings of Leon

REM

Phish

Dave Mathews Band

The Band

Bob Dylan, mostly (best lyricist ever, but the music itself it monotonous and boring to me). 

a great paean to another acid-damaged compatriot. the first time i ever saw them (unfortunately, it was after Kathleen had left the band) was one of the most fucked up shows i think i'd ever seen. they really opened my eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa5cRNypJsw

I had Hairway to Steven on vinyl back in highschool. Wonder what happened to it...

"...seeing this band live close to 20 times... I just can't seem to find anything noteworthy about Superchunk.

Does not compute!

I do love Superchunk but this statement makes no sense to me. How do you happen to find yourself at a show for the same band 20 times if you don't like them???  :blink

you can't really put the beach boys on a list like this……………………………now that I've got that off my chest

U2

Springsteen

REM

I like REM the most out of those three, but there is something about pompousness that comes to mind with these bands. 

Does not compute!

I do love Superchunk but this statement makes no sense to me. How do you happen to find yourself at a show for the same band 20 times if you don't like them???  :blink

I was in a band that was opening for them for two and a half weeks (so that accounts for 14 or 15 shows, plus I saw them at Lollapalooza 1995, once opening for Sonic Youth Dirty tour, and once headlining over Yo La Tengo/Unrest, so that's 17 or 18 shows).  I would love it if I liked their music, because I like them as people, and I was afforded a once in a lifetime opportunity by them, but their music has never connected with me. 

their music has never connected with me. 

This would be the phrase I would normally use for the bands/artists I listed in my post on this thread.

Of course, there are a few who I really cannot stand, notably (post Jackson Five) Michael Jackson and Madonna. Most everyone else, I would just say I don't care for them because their music has never connected with me, or even more accurately, I have never found a connection with their music.

Except rap and hip-hop, I can't stand any of that...including The Roots, before anyone says anything. I can barely tolerate the rap part of Rapture by Blondie.