Best Albums of 2014 (so far)

I know we're not quite at the halfway mark yet, but I think this year has already been a fantastic year for new music (and the new Spoon album hasn't even come out yet).

Right now, my pick for best album is:

Le Butcherettes - Cry is for the Flies

I cannot get enough of it and it is easily the most excited I've been about a new album in a few years.

Other great albums so far:

St. Vincent - St. Vincent

Lykke Li - I Never Learn

Liars - Mess

Wye Oak - Shriek

La Sera - Hour of the Dawn

Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else

The Hold Steady - Teeth Dreams

Beck - Morning Phase

EMA - The Future's Void

Phantogram - Voices

Old 97's - Most Messed Up (This one surprised me...their best album since Satellite Rides)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Drive-By Truckers -- English Oceans

2. Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks -- Wig Out at Jag Bags

3. Old 97's -- Most Messed Up

4. Guided By Voices -- Motivational Jumpsuit

I'm looking forward to the new releases by Spoon, Bob Mould and (especailly) Parquet Courts.

1. Drive-By Truckers -- English Oceans 2. Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks -- Wig Out at Jag Bags 3. Old 97's -- Most Messed Up 4. Guided By Voices -- Motivational Jumpsuit I'm looking forward to the new releases by Spoon, Bob Mould and (especailly) Parquet Courts.

English Oceans has been the only real disappointment for me this year, unfortunately.

Really? This has been the album that's actually gotten me buy DBT tickets. I love Shit Shots Count and, especially, Primer Coat. Great tunes, hoping they play both when I see 'em next month.

My other "best of" for the year is Phosphorescent Harvest. I don't buy much new stuff from bands anymore.

Really? This has been the album that's actually gotten me buy DBT tickets. I love Shit Shots Count and, especially, Primer Coat. Great tunes, hoping they play both when I see 'em next month.

Compared to their earlier output, their most recent albums just aint doing it for me YMMV

Future Islands - Singles

No, I had never heard of them before that Letterman appearance. Yes, that performance stunned me (in a very good way). No, the album did not disappoint. Love it.

Phil Ajjarapu - Sing Along Until You Feel Better

A friend of mine who was the bass player on Liquid Soul's best album (One-Two Punch) and is now a choir teacher in Austin. He had a near-fatal motorcycle accident a couple of years ago that woke him up to the fact that he really wanted to get his OWN music out. A successful Kickstarter let him afford to bring Ken Stringfellow on as a producer. This is the result: a wonderful collection of pure pop that you will love if you (like me) are a fan of Jellyfish, The Posies, Paul McCartney, Big Star, The Raspberries, etc.

Here's the link to his Bandcamp page; stream it and see.

The Thons - Thirty Foot Snake

Local (Chicago) band that I just heard on WXRT's Local Anesthetic and was stunned by. Outstanding proto/post-punk that kicks the part of my ass that warms to The Fall, Television, Wire, and--more recently--Parquet Courts. That's a big part of my ass.

A glorious thing: they're offering the album totally for free, downloaded from their web site.

They also released a SECOND, live album this year. That's TWO albums already in 2014 and it's not even halfway over yet. I like these guys.

Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings - Give the People What They Want

Classic soul is not dead. I'm loving this band.

Lydia Loveless.

LouieB

I'm really digging her. Hopefully her tunes arent too autobiographical though because that'd mean she's a gigantic hot mess.

I'm really digging her. Hopefully her tunes arent too autobiographical though because that'd mean she's a gigantic hot mess.

As mentioned in another post about her, check out the EP that came out just before it. Coupled together she is a gigantic hot mess if it is true, which I think it is not.

LouieB

Just going by the ones I've played the most so far (in no particular order):

Sun Kil Moon - Benji

St. Vincent - St. Vincent

Drive-by Truckers - English Oceans

Real Estate - Atlas

The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

The Hold Steady - Teeth Dreams

Lydia Loveless - Somewhere Else

Old 97's - Most Messed Up

Mac DeMarco - Salad Days

Various Artists - Boring Ecstasy: The Bedroom Pop of Orchid Tapes

Each Other - Being Elastic

Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks -  Wig Out at Jag Bags

Doug Paisley - Strong Feelings

There's a bunch that I've listened to once or twice that will probably make the list with a few more spins.

Boy Crazy. The one you mention is a full length. This is only 4 songs.

LouieB

Thanks, wasnt aware of this, I'll look for it

My other "best of" for the year is Phosphorescent Harvest. I don't buy much new stuff from bands anymore.

They will. I saw them in St. Louis a few months ago and it was a great rock show -- just as good as when I saw them with Isbell.

These 3 are at the top of my list so far.  I'm pretty obsessed with the Real Estate record right now:

Real Estate – Atlas

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks – Wigout at Jagbags

Sun Kil moon – Benji

Other notables:

Drive by truckers – English Oceans - Didn't like at first, really growing on me.

Against Me! – Transgender Dysphoria Blues

Warpaint – Warpaint

Broken Bells – After the Disco

Guided by Voices – Motivational jumpsuit

The War on Drugs – Lost in the dream

Broken Bells – After the Disco

Cloud Nothings – Here and now

Agree, I love this album.  I don't think it takes a back seat to anything in their catalogue.  And those 2 songs are my highlights as well, particularly Primer Coat, which could be the single best new song I've heard all year.  Thee lyrics and that story get me in the gut, and then that guitar hook on top of those lyrics.  Exactly what good rock n roll is supposed to do. They played both when I saw them in Boston.

I was surprised no one listed Southeastern, then I thought maybe it came out late last year.  Nope.  Almost a year ago.  Geez time flies.

Its a great album but from last year. I still play it though.

LouieB