Best Albums of 2014 (so far)

I need this one! :)

Been having trouble getting a physical copy here in the UK. Been listening to streams online for a  while but my CD arrived this morning :banana

Towards the end is tails off a bit, but the first half has some wonderful melodies so well worth it.

Edit: The end has grown on me now :-)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

Drive By Truckers - English Ocean

Deerhoof - La Isla Bonita

Ty Seagall - Manipulator

Sharon Van Etten - Are We There

TWEEDY - Sukirae

Spoon - They Want My Soul

John Fullbright - Songs

Real Estate - Atlas

Mac DeMarco - Salad Days

Sun kil Moon - Benji

Beck - Morning Phase

Box Sets:

Wilco - Alpha Mike Foxtrot

Sleater-Kinney - Start Together

Been having trouble getting a physical copy here in the UK. Been listening to streams online for a  while but my CD arrived this morning :banana

Towards the end is tails off a bit, but the first half has some wonderful melodies so well worth it.

Edit: The end has grown on me now :-)

guess i need this now too. shit.

I finally got around to Jolie Holland's Wine Dark Sea. It's pretty amazing- definitely her grittiest album to date.

Just bought the Vinyl. My god i love this strange head trip of a thing. Looks like it is all at 45rpm. odd and not much fun on these non-automated turntables.  

• 2 weeks later...

The albums that have found a serious spot in my psyche: Lydia Loveless, the Eels, Jack White.  I'm surprised by the lack of enthusiasm for Jack White in this thread.  I think Lazaretto improves upon Blunderbuss, which was strong but perhaps a tad monotonous.  Each track on the new one has a distinct, catchy personality, and plenty of unusual stuff going on without ever losing sight of the distinct melody.  To these ears, it's the best thing Jack's done since Get Behind Me Satan, the Stripes album that this new record most resembles.

Hmm, I think Lazaretto is alright, but there are too many 'simple' songs like the opener and Just One Drink. Then the last song says 'who' too much. Hehe.

Good to see that so many like Real Estate - Atlas

It seems to be barely making a mark in the Year End lists overall that MetaCritic has compiled.

I think Atlas is much better than Days. It was hard for me to make it through that album.

I really like Atlas, but I have made an alternate tracklisting that I like better.

The instrumental is a song too early for me.

I'm not seeing Swans on anybody's list. I've had it for months, but still haven't listened to it. It's a double album with some tracks 20 mins +, so it seems too daunting to tackle. Ha.

I'm not seeing Swans on anybody's list. I've had it for months, but still haven't listened to it. It's a double album with some tracks 20 mins +, so it seems too daunting to tackle. Ha.

I've had it for months too but still haven't listened to it. the live show was immense... i can't imagine the recording living up to it.

same thing happened w/ The Seer.

My final list.  Just can't get enough of that Real Estate album.  Wore that one out this year:

1. Real Estate – Atlas
  2. Parquet Courts – Sunbathing Animal
  3. Ty Segall – Manipulator
  4. Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks – Wigout at Jagbags
  5. Survival knife – Loose Power
  6. The War on Drugs – Lost in the dream
  7. Sun Kil moon – Benji
  8. Against Me! – Transgender Dysphoria Blues
  9. Swans – To be kind
  10. Courtney Barnett – The Double EP: A Sea of Split Peas
  • 2 years later...

These 3 are at the top of my list so far.  I'm pretty obsessed with the Real Estate record right now:

Real Estate – Atlas

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks – Wigout at Jagbags

Sun Kil moon – Benji

god this Mondanile story is fucking gross and depressing.

https://www.spin.com/featured/matt-mondanile-ducktails-real-estate-sexual-misconduct-allegations-detailed/

Definitely. I'd never heard of the band or the dude, but couldn't help thinking while reading the article how frequent similar behavior must be in the music scene behind the scenes. Not necessarily sneaking into bedrooms, etc., but assumptions and liberties being taken on female fans.

He even looks like a fuck-wad --- I never heard any of there music, either - but I suppose that is not the point. You would think it wouldn't be too hard for the dude to find a consensual companion after a show -- but like my wife tells me  -  most of these types don't get off on the whole consensual angle of the things - hence they do what they do...