Tweedy - Sukierae

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.  I always thought Jeff was supremely opposed to social media.  Actually, that is what I am getting out of his leading track, 'Please Don't Let Me Be So Understood.'

He's not exactly turning into a social media whore--I think his Twitter account is primarily a publicity vehicle, although he and Spencer have both sent personal messages through it. I think the twin influences of being around Spencer so much--who is a big communicator--and also seeing the positive side of social media from the support Sue has received recently have probably caused Jeff to soften up a bit on this.

A buddy of mine found a typo in the printed lyrics of the Sukierae vinyl sleeve. First line, middle stanza of "Low Key," where he sings "...but I'm gonna love you the same." Printed lyrics read "But I'm going love you the same." He just tweeted Jeff and Spencer to see if he could get a prize.  :lol

I noticed one too the other night - it wasn't that one but can't remember it now. Something like coud for could, that sort of thing. I may remember to look for it tonight. 

He's not exactly turning into a social media whore--I think his Twitter account is primarily a publicity vehicle, although he and Spencer have both sent personal messages through it. I think the twin influences of being around Spencer so much--who is a big communicator--and also seeing the positive side of social media from the support Sue has received recently have probably caused Jeff to soften up a bit on this.

I only find one tweet actually sent by Jeff through that account (His tweets are to be signed with JT). I wouldn't exactly say he's lighting twitter up.

I hope so. I feel like such a sore loser, because I cried a little...

Watching the live stream from NY is helping a little.

Just an FYI, Sweetwater still offers the guitar and has 24 month (sometimes if you call they'll even do longer terms) 0% financing.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/00DBTwdy

I noticed one too the other night - it wasn't that one but can't remember it now. Something like coud for could, that sort of thing. I may remember to look for it tonight.

Hazel

They cought (sic) you in the soil safe beneath the swarm

Edit - CD version if it makes a difference. Makes me feel a bit less discriminated against by the vinlysts :-)

got my cd copy from kung fu on tuesday at lunchtime, and have given it a few spins so far. really like the somewhat understated vibe in general, and even the tracks that didn't grab me as much at first are growing on me. definitely a mood piece- was lucky enough to catch the freeport show in july and get my first taste of many of these about 40 feet from the band. going to the berklee show tomorrow night- can't wait! any other VCers gonna be there?

also, i would have to agree with the general consensus that nobody dies anymore is the clear standout among all 20 tunes (though that's not meant to slight to any of the other material- it just gave me chills on the first listen the way jeff's best stuff always does). looking forward to watching the rest of the BAM show sometime soon- that's a hell of a show opener. reminds me a little of a wilco show opening with ashes.

p.s. it's been driving me crazy what the loping feel of the beat from nobody dies reminds me of- and i just finally placed it while typing this- the kinks' "strangers" from lola vs. powerman. not in any derivative way- just in an "oh, that other amazing song by one of my other favorite songwriters" kind of way.

p.p.s. all fingers and toes still firmly crossed for my first ever acuff-rose tomorrow. all who send good vibes into the universe to make this happen will have my everlasting gratitude... :)

That one is a haunting beauty.  The piano especially gets me.  It reminds me of something else that I can't place. 

I figured it out "Where My Love" has piano playing that reminds of the piano parts on PJ Harvery's White Chalk.  Which is weird because you can't stretch that comparison any further.

Also I decided that "Pigeons", could be placed between "More Like the Moon" and "Wishful Thinking" on a compilation of Tweedy penned songs that can choke me up if I'm feeling a little emotional.

It's interesting to see what people consider the standout tracks after a few listens. For me, having just run through the discs a couple times, and listening to/watching some live versions, I would say Fake Fur Coat and Diamond Light are far and away the best songs on this project. My next tier would include High As Hello, Summer Noon (which reminds me a bit of Magazine Like Sunset, probably because it has some of the same chords), and maybe Low Key. Everything else would go below those for me.

OK after about 5 spins all the way through my top 3 songs are: Diamond Light, Flowering, Fake Fur Coat.

Next tier are: Down From Above, New Moon, Where My Love.

Find myself actually liking overall sides C/D to A/B.

Only song I skip is Summer Noon - can't get into it at all...too repetitive IMO

I think the clear standout track here is "World Away." There's a looseness to it that I think has sorely been missing from recent Wilco albums.

"Nobody Dies Anymore" is a close second for me.

After listening to the album a few times, I think it's pretty strong overall, although the length and the addition of some mediocre songs would prevent it from being something I reached for on a consistent basis.

p.p.s. all fingers and toes still firmly crossed for my first ever acuff-rose tomorrow. all who send good vibes into the universe to make this happen will have my everlasting gratitude... :)

you've got my vibes!. i didnt expect to get it after a band, after i asked him earlier, but he played it solo at the end anyway :) (tell him froggie sent you)