Tweedy - Sukierae

hey all VCers- not too get too personal on here but i will probably miss the show tonight- my wife had a seizure while driving with my 3 year old daughter and got into an accident. EMT on phone said they're both ok. my son and i are currently in the ER waiting room waiting for the to let us in to see them. i know this is a weird place to share this but i needed to vent some of my fear without upsetting my son and wish the rest of you all a good show...

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey all VCers- not too get too personal on here but i will probably miss the show tonight- my wife had a seizure while driving with my 3 year old daughter and got into an accident. EMT on phone said they're both ok. my son and i are currently in the ER waiting room waiting for the to let us in to see them. i know this is a weird place to share this but i needed to vent some of my fear without upsetting my son and wish the rest of you all a good show...

Thank God they're both ok! Best wishes for all of you. I hope your wife's medical news is manageable. You must be so worried.Let us know how it goes.

Best wishes, man. That's a nightmare - glad they're ok!

Vibeage... You guys hang in there.

thanks for all the warm wishes, everybody. i shouldn't be surprised, but it is heartening to know that my favorite band has such wonderful people as fellow fans. wish i could have gifted two of you beautiful strangers our tickets- they're just sitting at will-call going to waste.

at least we can watch the BAM show on youtube whever we finally get home from the ER. silver linings, right? :)

Seizures fucking suck. My 9 year old son has epilepsy. PM me if you feel the need to discuss further.

thanks for all the warm wishes, everybody. i shouldn't be surprised, but it is heartening to know that my favorite band has such wonderful people as fellow fans. wish i could have gifted two of you beautiful strangers our tickets- they're just sitting at will-call going to waste.

at least we can watch the BAM show on youtube whever we finally get home from the ER. silver linings, right? :)

Good wishes to you, man. Hope everything turns out OK.

That's the way to look at it! "Where there's a Wilco, there's a way." Healthy vibes to your wife. 

Healthy vibes to your son, too, uncool2pillow. That must be hard.

Last cigarettes, I'm just now signing on and saw your news. Oh my gosh, how terrifying. I'm so glad they are OK and I hope you all get to the bottom of the problem. There are worse things than missing a show--something like this puts it all in perspective. Good luck to you all!

thanks for the love, guys. definitely feeling lucky all things considered- things could have been so much worse. still a lot of sorting out to do to find the root cause and so on, but for now we're hanging in there.

i did miss my acuff-rose last night, though. :( i requested it on the website, but also in a long and pretty personal letter i wrote to jeff earlier in the summer. if anyone else wants to help me campaign to have him play it again in port chester night 2 (10/29), we'll be there. i know it's a long shot with the full band but it would mean a ton to me and my wife...

also, probably more oversharing (and definitely in the wrong thread, but i've already blurted all over this one. sorry all) but i wanted to see what people thought about starting a new thread about being fans in recovery. a lot of my letter to jeff was about how much his music has meant to me over the last 22 years, but also about how hearing him talk so openly about his struggles with (and eventual triumph over) anxiety/depression and substance abuse helped inspire me to finally get the right help to get myself healthy this past spring.

we could even have pre- or post-show meetups, kinda like the wharf rats used to at dead shows.

anyone who's interested, PM me and if there's enough of us maybe we can start a new forum...

sorry for the (likely inappropriate) rambling on. it's been a really big help to have somewhere to vent for the last 24 hours. much love to you all...

-isaac

I gave Sukierae its first listen on a road trip yesterday. The two songs I found myself repeating right off the bat are Please Don't Let Me Be So Understood (wow, what a great sound to open the album with) and Summer Noon.

It's definitely a great "car" album!

I had an interesting experience earlier today when I was listening to my iPod on shuffle. New Moon came up in rotation and I started singing along with a smile. You know that sense you get when a favorite song comes up unexpectedly and you get a warm, happy feeling? It's usually an older favorite that I haven't heard for a while that evokes that feeling, but this felt sort of instantly nostalgic, not like a new song at all. That's a pretty good sign for how nicely these songs are settling into my head.

Some thoughts on this record after two listens:

Firstly, I am really digging this album, probably somewhat more than I expected.

It's definitely a great "car" album!

Agreed. My first listen was on a long walk at night and I came home elated. My second listen was driving through city traffic yesterday, a sunny Saturday afternoon. Beautiful. I had a great moment walking the other night. Had headphones on and I must've looked a fool because Where My Love came on and I couldn't stop laughing with the pure joy of the music whilst emitting various "Ohhh!"s and "Ahhhh"s and "Oh man!"s at how much I was taken by this song.

I'm in that phase where the tunes are becoming familiar but I'm not yet matching them up with the titles (that will come). What's the song where you can hear a snippet of what I assume is an iphone recording before it launches back into the song proper? That's a great song. There's also a song in there which reminds me of Pavement's noodling guitar lines.

Love the sounds of all the guitars on this album but especially the ever present acoustics. Jeff just has this indefineable taste in the sound of his guitars. So crisp and clear. (Whenever I'm in a music shop trying out guitars it's Mr Tweedy's guitar sounds I always have in my head).The drums are wonderfully played, prominent, but not not over-bearing. There's a woodiness and up close sound to the drums that reminds me of Levon Helm's playing. All hi hats, too. I think I've heard a ride cymbal played on maybe two songs, Slow Love being one of them. What a drum sound on this song!

Spencer is obviuosly an intelligent and creative drummer. The sounds and rhythms he brings to this record are wonderful. This is not generic drumming, it's inventive and inspiring.

A great record.

CD finally arrived yesterday and I'm spinning it right now. I did listen to the NPR album stream a couple of times while at work last week in preparation for the Athens show, but this is the first time I've been able to cue it up on a decent stereo system & crank it. I love how bits of the iphone demos surface in the mix, especially on I'll Sing It.