Tweedy - Sukierae

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TWEEDY sound has evolved and leveled out with back-up singers since the Pabst Theater.  This album sounds better with each listen. Great songs through and through. 

I like everything about this project lately. It is especially fun that the seemingly 'supplemental hair' T-shirt matches the CD back photo all the way to the Casio wristwatch.  Good times.. 

1) So with the addition of "Do The Minimum" (the B-side to the vinyl "Summer Noon" single) & the two tracks from the forthcoming "St. Vincent" Film Soundtracks, "why Why Why" (which he/they are doing live now) & "Everyone Hides", we are now up to 23 finished songs coming from the "Sukierae" sessions...

2) He's now performed both "Pigeons" & "Please Don't Let Me Be So Understood", leaving only "I'll Sing It" & "I'll Never Know" as the only two album tracks not yet performed live...he's even doing "Why Why Why" from the forthcoming soundtrack mentioned above- meaning he's done 19 of the 23 songs from these sessions live.

3) It's got to be soon for those two Tweedy Roadcase releases to be released...they were pushed back to October, & well, it's October now.

4) I'm hoping that there will be some other Tweedy Roadcase release that features all of the stuff not on the earlier two from this Spring...meaning- "Hazel", "Please Don't Let Me Be So Misunderstood", "Pigeons" & "Why Why Why"...and maybe we'll be able to add more to the list of originals before this leg of the tour ends...but also "Love Like A Wire" (the Diane Izzo cover which is now a set list staple & which I absolutely adore), his great take on "Only The Lord Knows" (a song he wrote for Mavis), & the band's great cover of "Give Back The Key To My Heart" too! Not to mention whatever solo acoustic gems might pop up that haven't been on other Roadcase releases...

5) I'm hoping that Solid Sound 2015 features two Wilco performances on Fri. & Sat., with another covers/request night (I'm going for "It's All Too Much" by The Beatles as a show stopping closer suggestion), & on Sunday a performance by Tweedy!! I don't know if we'll get the solo acoustic half of things too, though that would be amazing if it happened.
I've gotta believe there will be two nights of Wilco, & I'd be very surprised if there wasn't also a Tweedy performance too.

By the way, the song is "Please don't let me be so Understood".

Duly noted & corrected...I blame The Animals...

And, just for fun, & while I'm at it...here's Bruce Springsteen explaining how the opening riff for "Badlands" was lifted from "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood"...I'd never noticed it before myself...

And here's "Badlands"...

got my cd copy from kung fu on tuesday at lunchtime, and have given it a few spins so far. really like the somewhat understated vibe in general, and even the tracks that didn't grab me as much at first are growing on me. definitely a mood piece- was lucky enough to catch the freeport show in july and get my first taste of many of these about 40 feet from the band. going to the berklee show tomorrow night- can't wait! any other VCers gonna be there?

also, i would have to agree with the general consensus that nobody dies anymore is the clear standout among all 20 tunes (though that's not meant to slight to any of the other material- it just gave me chills on the first listen the way jeff's best stuff always does). looking forward to watching the rest of the BAM show sometime soon- that's a hell of a show opener. reminds me a little of a wilco show opening with ashes.

p.s. it's been driving me crazy what the loping feel of the beat from nobody dies reminds me of- and i just finally placed it while typing this- the kinks' "strangers" from lola vs. powerman. not in any derivative way- just in an "oh, that other amazing song by one of my other favorite songwriters" kind of way.

p.p.s. all fingers and toes still firmly crossed for my first ever acuff-rose tomorrow. all who send good vibes into the universe to make this happen will have my everlasting gratitude... :)

I can certainly here that "Strangers" rhythm you're talking about...but "Nobody Dies Anymore" really feels like a lost Neil Young song to me...

Better than The Whole Love?

Yes.  It's hard to put into words, but I think The Whole Love tried too hard to be ear pleasing at times..  Sukierae feels more free, like the real unrestricted Jeff Tweedy to me.  Like he's finally writing exactly what he feels--not having to be confined by the other Wilco member's input.. 

"(2) He's now performed both "Pigeons" & "Please Don't Let Me Be So Understood", leaving only "I'll Sing It" & "I'll Never Know" as the only two album tracks not yet performed live...he's even doing "Why Why Why" from the forthcoming soundtrack mentioned above- meaning he's done 19 of the 23 songs from these sessions live."

Has he played "Where My Love" live yet?

Has he played "Where My Love" live yet?

Yes, at least once that I know of, in DC on 6/10. That's Roadcase #34 which was just made available a few days ago.

I was at this show and it was a great one. The recording sounds really good too. Now that the Tweedy band has quite a few more shows under its belt, I was curious to see if the playing on this one would sound as good as I remembered it, and to me it does. 

• 1 month later...

There's also a song in there which reminds me of Pavement's noodling guitar lines.

That would be Down From Above, no? Every time that song plays I think I'm listening to Pavement.

I am really coming to love this album. I find myself listening to it more and more as time goes on, finding more and more subtle details that draw me in. That hasn't happened to me with the last few Wilco albums, so I'm very glad to see myself really falling for Jeff's music in a long-term kind of way again.

• 2 weeks later...